Games based on the GTA Engine: The Simpsons Hit & Run

I was sparked off by a conversation in another thread about a
'cartoony' GTA.

Then I remembered this:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=The+Simpsons+Hit+%26+Run+Review&btnG=Search&meta=

Has anyone played it? What was it like?

I'm interested in a copy just because it is a GTA engine game.

I never saw a copy over this side of the world. I'm also wondering why
it was so quiet... it should have been a big hit... GTA engine,
Simpsons franchise... it bombed.

T.
7 answers Last reply
More about games based engine simpsons

    <tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
    > I was sparked off by a conversation in another thread about a
    > 'cartoony' GTA.
    >
    > Then I remembered this:

    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=The+Simpsons+Hit+%26+Run+Review&btnG=Search&meta=

    > Has anyone played it? What was it like?
    >
    > I'm interested in a copy just because it is a GTA engine game.
    >
    > I never saw a copy over this side of the world. I'm also wondering why
    > it was so quiet... it should have been a big hit... GTA engine,
    > Simpsons franchise... it bombed.

    It certainly doesn't "feel" like it uses the GTA engine - the gameplay is
    too different (you only drive some of the cars yourself. Any car you "jack"
    is driven by its original owner).

    Also, the game does not suffer from "disappearing cars" the same way GTA
    does - if it had been fixed for a "GTA for kiddies" offshoot, it would
    certainly have been fixed for VC or SA.

    I think the comparisons are simply based around a non-violent, child
    friendly GTA - the open-ended game, many cars, each with its own handling
    characteristics etc. I'd be very surprised if it uses any common code at
    all.

    Springfield is split through the levels, you cant access it all at once
    like gta, this is a real bummer. Once you get out of the car, theirs
    nothing to do, even kids tire of this game real fast.

    Chris S wrote:

    > Springfield is split through the levels, you cant access it all at once
    > like gta, this is a real bummer. Once you get out of the car, theirs
    > nothing to do, even kids tire of this game real fast.

    I agree, what little humour and fun there is soon palls. Only the
    littlest grandchild stuck with it and that was because she had a thing
    about making characters run up and down flights of steps, which she
    could do for hours, so having Bart Simpson do it was pretty much cool
    for her

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look

    In article <4324161C.E88EE65@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Chris S wrote:
    >>
    >> Springfield is split through the levels, you cant access it all at once
    >> like gta, this is a real bummer. Once you get out of the car, theirs
    >> nothing to do, even kids tire of this game real fast.

    Well, the engine is definitely inferior to GTA. But, the gameplay is pretty
    similar in concept. I actually enjoyed Simpsons Hit&Run a lot! Part of the
    fun might be if you are a hardcore Simpsons fan (like me), and spot all the
    tiny details from various episodes spread about the town.

    If you're eager for a GTA fix and have played all the authentic GTAs to
    death, I highly recommend you pick this up in a bargain bin somewhere.

    Erik Seligman, eseligma@aracnet.com / eseligma@ichips.intel.com
    Speaking for myself, not Intel or Aracnet.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Erik Seligman wrote:

    > In article <4324161C.E88EE65@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > Chris S wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Springfield is split through the levels, you cant access it all at once
    > >> like gta, this is a real bummer. Once you get out of the car, theirs
    > >> nothing to do, even kids tire of this game real fast.
    > >>

    > Well, the engine is definitely inferior to GTA. But, the gameplay is pretty
    > similar in concept. I actually enjoyed Simpsons Hit&Run a lot! Part of the
    > fun might be if you are a hardcore Simpsons fan (like me), and spot all the
    > tiny details from various episodes spread about the town.
    >
    > If you're eager for a GTA fix and have played all the authentic GTAs to
    > death, I highly recommend you pick this up in a bargain bin somewhere.

    I'm a hardcore fan but I found most of the games boring. Hit & run is
    probably the best though and yes, there are some good gags, but it's
    flawed and as has been pointed out not having it all on one level is
    the biggest let down.

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    tlai909@visto.com schrieb:

    > Has anyone played it? What was it like?

    Missions are always the same. Race from A to B, collect things...
    gets boring over time.

    > I'm interested in a copy just because it is a GTA engine game.

    Do it only if you're a hardcore fan of the Simpsons. And even
    then, rethink carefully.

    > I never saw a copy over this side of the world. I'm also wondering why
    > it was so quiet... it should have been a big hit... GTA engine,
    > Simpsons franchise... it bombed.

    Boring and uninspired mission design, no free roaming really.

    CU, Venty
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <slrndi9dqc.d4b.eseligma@onyx.spiritone.com>
    Erik Seligman <eseligma@onyx.spiritone.com> wrote:

    > If you're eager for a GTA fix and have played all the authentic GTAs to
    > death, I highly recommend you pick this up in a bargain bin somewhere.

    Brand new, £9.99 for PS2 from Play.com but they appear to be out of
    them at the moment.

    Play are a very efficient and customer orientated business, but I'm a
    bit annoyed that they don't state when they might have more stock in.
    I was going to order another copy of Super Monkey Ball on the GC for my
    girlfriend but they appear to be out of that too.

    *More* High Street shopping for me, boo!

    :o(

    Cheers,
    Rob
    "It's probably a tradition, or an old charter or something"

Engine Games Video Games