Sign in with
Your question

How does windows 7 for system builders work

Last response: in Windows 7
December 1, 2010 4:11:22 PM

Ok Im about to build a new computer since my current one is reaching its end for gaming purposes. I decided that i want to get the Windows 7 system builders version. I know that it locks to one mobo and I cant transfer it to another one unless I replace the mobo with the exact same one if it dies. I know that I can upgrade parts too.

Im getting just a regular 7200RPM mass capacity HDD for right now so thats where windows 7 will install but I plan to clear it out and set that aside later for data storage and replace it with a High RPM HDD for SSD for OS, Apps, and games. Will I be able to install it on the new drive?

More about : windows system builders work

December 1, 2010 5:09:41 PM

gamermandude said:
I know that it locks to one mobo and I cant transfer it to another one unless I replace the mobo with the exact same one if it dies.
Well, even if you were to replace it with the exact same model, the pll and serial would be different. So i will be recognized as different. Otherwise, everybody with the exact same mobo will be able to use & re-use the same Windows DVD, innit?

But relax, generally, a call to their call-center does the trick. Once you tell 'em that you're changing the mobo, they will give you a new key and cancel the old one after asking a few questions 'bout the packaging and time and place of acquisition of the software - Even for an OEM one.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2010 6:36:35 PM

Jonmor68 said:
OEM licence conditions have changed, it's no longer available for personal use, "Must be preinstalled on a PC and sold to another unrelated party." the key words MUST and SOLD to.
You need to buy a 2 dollar SATA cable/PCIe connector to technically qualify as a 'system builder'.

'Pre-install' it on your own PC and sell it to your-self :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2010 7:06:48 PM

OEM licensing restrictions aside (as JOnmor68 pointed out MS is trying to change the policy to keep system builders from using OEM versions for personal use) - you'll be fine ! Figure when you get the new HDD all you are doing is replacing a HDD which will not be seen as a substantial change to the system so will not require reactivation.
Most HDDs will come with software or you can download it from the manufacturer that will move the info from the old HDD to a newly installed HDD to make that drive the boot drive without the need to reinstall windows or reactivate the OS -- Or you can make a full backup of the boot partition and the restore it to the new drive. For example Here is the user manual for MAXBLAST5 which is used for maxtor (seagate) HDDS --- read through Chapter 10 (page 37) for info on transferring the system to a new disc -- It details a few methods of moving the OS and boot partition to a new HDD.

If for some reason during this process the OS needs to be reactivated a quick phone activation will normally reactivate it anyway (worse case you call MS and tell them your boot drive died and you are replacing it and they'll give you a new key - but in most instances the changing of a HDD will not require reactivation to begin with !!)
m
l
December 1, 2010 10:24:28 PM

Awesome thanks for the info
m
l
!