news:lMAbc.18302$Rh.10869@fed1read05...
> I am considering a video upgrade.
>
> P4 2.6 @ 533Mhz fsb
> Intel D845PEBT2 mobo (4x AGP max)
> 1 gig Crucial 2700 ram
> Leadtek ti4200 64mb videocard
> etc...
>
> Which ATI version should I go for?

The card that gives you the most bang for your buck is hands down the
9800Pro. It can be had for $212 free shipping at Newegg.com. I replaced my
4200 with it and I couldn't be happier. The card is one of the most powerful
cards on the market and it does AA better then anything Nvidia has to
offer, even there FX5950 which is $200 more.
You'll also be pleased at is 2D quality. Your desktop will look sharper with
better color saturation. You can't go wrong with this card.
BTW Sapphire is the largest 3rd party maker of ATI cards and they even make
cards for ATI, so you know this is a very well made card. JLC

zulu

SHRED© wrote:
> I am considering a video upgrade.
>
> P4 2.6 @ 533Mhz fsb
> Intel D845PEBT2 mobo (4x AGP max)
> 1 gig Crucial 2700 ram
> Leadtek ti4200 64mb videocard
> etc...
>
> Which ATI version should I go for?

Depends on budget and usage...

Zulu

Zulu wrote:
> SHRED© wrote:
>> I am considering a video upgrade.
>>
>> P4 2.6 @ 533Mhz fsb
>> Intel D845PEBT2 mobo (4x AGP max)
>> 1 gig Crucial 2700 ram
>> Leadtek ti4200 64mb videocard
>> etc...
>>
>> Which ATI version should I go for?
>
> Depends on budget and usage...
>
> Zulu

Well I'd like to turn up the details on new games like FarCry.

I'd also like to be able to play HL2 and Doom3 if they ever come out.

jr

If you're on a lower budget but can afford something in the $150 range +/-
I'd go for a 9700 Pro and overclock it, or even a 9800 Pro. Do a search via
www.pricewatch.com , or perhaps EBay hope this helps...

JR

"SHRED©" <no_one@no_where_.com> wrote in message
> Zulu wrote:
> > SHRED© wrote:
> >> I am considering a video upgrade.
> >>
> >> P4 2.6 @ 533Mhz fsb
> >> Intel D845PEBT2 mobo (4x AGP max)
> >> 1 gig Crucial 2700 ram
> >> Leadtek ti4200 64mb videocard
> >> etc...
> >>
> >> Which ATI version should I go for?
> >
> > Depends on budget and usage...
> >
> > Zulu
>
> Well I'd like to turn up the details on new games like FarCry.
>
> I'd also like to be able to play HL2 and Doom3 if they ever come out.

On 4/3/2004 8:32 AM JR brightened our day with:

>If you're on a lower budget but can afford something in the $150 range +/-
>I'd go for a 9700 Pro and overclock it, or even a 9800 Pro. Do a search via
>www.pricewatch.com , or perhaps EBay hope this helps...
>
>JR

You can get a Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro at newegg right now for $210.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268&depa=1

Or here's a Built By ATI Radeon 9800 Pro for $209:
http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=VCPO-XR98-C3O&REFID=PG

These are undoubtedly the best buys (well for ATI at least) out there
right now. I'm really happy with the 9600 Pro I bought last summer but
I think I'll be picking up on of these 9800s by summertime.

--
"Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James

Steve [Inglo]

> Thanks for the advice everyone!

I would look around and wait. After the new card is announced you should see
prices start to fall a bit.