Question about dodgy framerates with a 9600XT

I put a new pc together a few weeks ago and tested it out on UT2004 and Far
Cry, naturally it was silky smooth and kicked my old computers butt!!

the specs are;
AMD XP3200+
Gecube 9600XT Video
1 Gig DDR Ram
Windows XP

Something has happened in the past week thats freaking me out. My framerates
are all shot to hell. UT2004 no longer runs as smooth as it did even on my
old GeForce3 system and benchmarks around 30fps if im lucky. Far Cry was
running fine, now in gun fights the framerate just totally dies.

Ive gone from the 4.3 to the 3.9 and now using the Omega 2530 drivers but
it's made no difference. I have no more apps open than i did previously..
all thats running is my antivirus, zonealarm and thats about it.. even
turning these off makes no difference.

I'm a total ATI newbie and not sure what to really check. Can anyone offer
any opinions/advice as to what could be killing my framerates?

-spag
'my Karma ran over your Dogma'

"spagnamoli" <spagnamoli@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<caNbc.138763$Wa.58260@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> I put a new pc together a few weeks ago and tested it out on UT2004 and Far
> Cry, naturally it was silky smooth and kicked my old computers butt!!
>
> the specs are;
> AMD XP3200+
> Gecube 9600XT Video
> 1 Gig DDR Ram
> Windows XP
>
> Something has happened in the past week thats freaking me out. My framerates
> are all shot to hell. UT2004 no longer runs as smooth as it did even on my
> old GeForce3 system and benchmarks around 30fps if im lucky. Far Cry was
> running fine, now in gun fights the framerate just totally dies.
>
> Ive gone from the 4.3 to the 3.9 and now using the Omega 2530 drivers but
> it's made no difference. I have no more apps open than i did previously..
> all thats running is my antivirus, zonealarm and thats about it.. even
> turning these off makes no difference.
>
> I'm a total ATI newbie and not sure what to really check. Can anyone offer
> any opinions/advice as to what could be killing my framerates?
>
> -spag
> 'my Karma ran over your Dogma'

Mmm with my 9500 Pro... wich is much the same in performance as your
9600XT I get about 30/35 FPS... I guess the 128bits memory bus is then
overflown fully!

So 30 FPS Is not strange.

Farcry... install the 1.1 patch ..that should solve part of the
"shooting lag" problem!