AIW 128 Pro AGP TV Application Failed to Initialize the Ca..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2004 4:52:43 AM

In the name of Gods green earth I pray there is a video ATI guru out
there whom can please help me with this dilema. I have an ATI All in
wonder 128 pro agp video card in my system the MMC ver 7.5 has worked
and I have captured video with it in the past. I changed Mortherboards
8 weeks ago and I have been unable to do anything with my ATI card
since. It displays video awesome and everything with the exception of
the TV tuner works great. I continue to get the errors: TV
Application Failed to Initialize the Capture device then it says The
TV Player failed to initialize the Video. I have uninstalled
everything ATI drivers then MMC7.5 then installed DirectX I believe at
one time I may have installed direct X 9. I have installed DX 8
several times. But everytime I reinstall the drivers then MMC 7.5
everything works with the exception of the TV tuner. The version of
the video driver I am running is wmer1284137192 I am running win 98
second edition plenty of Ram and CPU. I wish I could get this working
again. Or is it just time to move up to the Radeon 9800? Please if
there is a guru I would be ever endebted to you.

Thank you for any help.

Tony
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 6:26:44 PM

"Tony Girgenti" <tony@multi-techcx.com> wrote in message
> In the name of Gods green earth I pray there is a video ATI guru out
> there whom can please help me with this dilema. I have an ATI All in
> wonder 128 pro agp video card in my system the MMC ver 7.5 has worked
> and I have captured video with it in the past. I changed Mortherboards
> 8 weeks ago and I have been unable to do anything with my ATI card
> since. It displays video awesome and everything with the exception of
> the TV tuner works great. I continue to get the errors: TV
> Application Failed to Initialize the Capture device then it says The
> TV Player failed to initialize the Video. I have uninstalled
> everything ATI drivers then MMC7.5 then installed DirectX I believe at
> one time I may have installed direct X 9. I have installed DX 8
> several times. But everytime I reinstall the drivers then MMC 7.5
> everything works with the exception of the TV tuner. The version of
> the video driver I am running is wmer1284137192 I am running win 98
> second edition plenty of Ram and CPU. I wish I could get this working
> again. Or is it just time to move up to the Radeon 9800? Please if
> there is a guru I would be ever endebted to you.
>
> Thank you for any help.
>
> Tony

Did you reinstall Windows with your new motherboard, Tony? Particularly if
you've changed to a board with a different chipset, it's advisable to do so,
even if it does mean a lot of hassle.

At the very least you should remove the old chipset drivers (if they can be
removed) and install appropriate new ones.

While your card is an old one, and an upgrade might well be a good idea, I
don't think it's the cause of your problem. You seem to be demonstrating a
syndrome that's common with many people having problems: uninstalling and
installing everything in sight. Even if you had managed to achieve your
mobo change without messing up your system, your subsequent actions have
probably made it essential that you do a full format and OS install.

Broadly, format your drive, install the OS and chipset drivers, bearing in
mind that if you have a VIA chipset, the newest Hyperion 4in1 drivers are
not the most appropriate for W98SE. Then install DirectX - 8.1b should be
fine if you're not using Catalyst drivers or MMC 8.x. However, it won't
hurt to install DX 9.0b. Then install your display driver, remembering the
capture driver if it's not included, but don't install MMC until you've
installed your soundcard, and preferably other hardware, too.

Incidentally, why don't you try MMC 7.7.0.1 and DVD 7.6? Since your AIW 128
Pro should have the Rage Theatre chip on it, that should work - some of the
apps in it will actually install as 7.6, but it will upgrade the DVD player
to 7.7, which is actually, as long as your CPU and mobo are up to it (and I
presume that was why you upgraded?) a very good player. Not as fully
featured as the 8.x ones, but superb picture and sound, particularly as
compared to Ati's earlier ones. The 7.7 TV app is very nice, too.

HTH patrickp
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 6:26:45 PM

> Did you reinstall Windows with your new motherboard, Tony?
Particularly if
> you've changed to a board with a different chipset, it's advisable to
do so,
> even if it does mean a lot of hassle.

Definitely.

> While your card is an old one, and an upgrade might well be a good
idea, I

If he's not a gamer, upgrading the card won't really get him anything
special, especially in regards to TV capture, than he already has. I've
got the exact same card in a 875P mobo and it works flawlessly.

> don't think it's the cause of your problem. You seem to be
demonstrating a
> syndrome that's common with many people having problems: uninstalling
and
> installing everything in sight. Even if you had managed to achieve
your
> mobo change without messing up your system, your subsequent actions
have
> probably made it essential that you do a full format and OS install.

I agreee wholeheartedly.

> Broadly, format your drive, install the OS and chipset drivers,
bearing in
> mind that if you have a VIA chipset, the newest Hyperion 4in1 drivers
are

It seems that VIA chipsets are problamatic with a lot of h/w, and s/w
for that matter. Hopefully, the OP doesn't have a VIA chipset based
mobo.

> not the most appropriate for W98SE. Then install DirectX - 8.1b
should be
> fine if you're not using Catalyst drivers or MMC 8.x. However, it
won't

Unless he jumps through _extensive_ hoops, he won't get MMC 8.x to
function on a 128 Pro. LordSmurf on dvdrhelp.com seems to do it but not
many others. Other than Videosoap, it really doesn't offer much except
for a number of presets that can be set manually with MMC 7.x. For 98SE,
the latest MMC ATI officially supports is 7.2 but 7.7 works fine as well
and is much preferred to earlier versions, regardless of OS

> hurt to install DX 9.0b. Then install your display driver,
remembering the
> capture driver if it's not included, but don't install MMC until
you've
> installed your soundcard, and preferably other hardware, too.
> Incidentally, why don't you try MMC 7.7.0.1 and DVD 7.6? Since your
AIW 128
> Pro should have the Rage Theatre chip on it, that should work - some
of the
> apps in it will actually install as 7.6, but it will upgrade the DVD
player
> to 7.7, which is actually, as long as your CPU and mobo are up to it
(and I
> presume that was why you upgraded?) a very good player. Not as fully
> featured as the 8.x ones, but superb picture and sound, particularly
as
> compared to Ati's earlier ones. The 7.7 TV app is very nice, too.

I've never been enamoured with ATI's DVD player myself so I use the
mmc7-7-0-1withoutdvd.exe. The 6624 capture app works for me but I'm
running XP and I don't know whether it functions under 98SE. PowerDVD
much more functional for my needs.

To the OP,

patrickp has given you valuable advice, even though you probably didn't
want to hear it. With the multiple installs and un-installs with
multiple drivers and other s/w, you're best bet and most likely the
fastest process to get your card working is to format the hd, re-install
98, install the 7192 driver, then MMC 7.7. You can find it here:

http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/mmc7-7-0-1-n...

Since you've upgraded the mobo, I'd think strongly about upgrading to
XP. SE was probably the most bug-ridden version of Windows ever
released, except for maybe 3.0.

Good luck.
April 4, 2004 7:06:42 PM

I love the idea of MMC 7.7 if I new where I could get a hold of it I
would try that. But I hate the Idea of Fdisk and reload although I
realize sometimes its the best choice I have so much loaded on this
machine I would hate to have to reload everything. I may consider
going to W2K if I was going to do that. Although that even scares me
as this system is doing almost everything I need right now just fine
But I would like to do more video apps so please advise and I will go
in that direction.

Thanks for the help this board is awesome

Tony

"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me> wrote in message news:<DTTbc.368$cS1.134@newsfe1-win>...
> [...]
> not the most appropriate for W98SE. Then install DirectX - 8.1b should be
> fine if you're not using Catalyst drivers or MMC 8.x. However, it won't
> hurt to install DX 9.0b. Then install your display driver, remembering the
> capture driver if it's not included, but don't install MMC until you've
> installed your soundcard, and preferably other hardware, too.
>
> Incidentally, why don't you try MMC 7.7.0.1 and DVD 7.6? Since your AIW 128
> Pro should have the Rage Theatre chip on it, that should work - some of the
> apps in it will actually install as 7.6, but it will upgrade the DVD player
> to 7.7, which is actually, as long as your CPU and mobo are up to it (and I
> presume that was why you upgraded?) a very good player. Not as fully
> featured as the 8.x ones, but superb picture and sound, particularly as
> compared to Ati's earlier ones. The 7.7 TV app is very nice, too.

April 4, 2004 8:47:48 PM

I'd disable C800 cache in the bios.

I kinda like the 6292/mmc6.3 files.

VFW support so i can capture with virtualdub no problem.
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 10:47:07 PM

I am running an Abit IT7 Mobo with Raid and onboard VIA Chipset VT6202
I do notice now that I have an explanation point in device manager
under sound video gamecontrollers and the yellow point is on the ATI
Multimedia video driver. It says that The MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader
for this device could not load the device driver (Code 2)I have the
original ATI cd with the drivers on it and also the updated driver
wmer1284137192.exe I am not sure what to do but I would love to get
this working again any help is appreciated.

Tony

"Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com> wrote in message news:<z0Wbc.5552$6D1.1130@bignews5.bellsouth.net>...
> [...]
>
> I've never been enamoured with ATI's DVD player myself so I use the
> mmc7-7-0-1withoutdvd.exe. The 6624 capture app works for me but I'm
> running XP and I don't know whether it functions under 98SE. PowerDVD
> much more functional for my needs.
>

> To the OP,
>
> patrickp has given you valuable advice, even though you probably didn't
> want to hear it. With the multiple installs and un-installs with
> multiple drivers and other s/w, you're best bet and most likely the
> fastest process to get your card working is to format the hd, re-install
> 98, install the 7192 driver, then MMC 7.7. You can find it here:
>
> http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/mmc7-7-0-1-n...
>
> Since you've upgraded the mobo, I'd think strongly about upgrading to
> XP. SE was probably the most bug-ridden version of Windows ever

April 5, 2004 6:19:40 AM

remove the drivers and MMC from add / remove in control panel and do a
'repair'

> [...]
I'm
> > running XP and I don't know whether it functions under 98SE.
PowerDVD
> > much more functional for my needs.
> >

> > To the OP,
> >
> > patrickp has given you valuable advice, even though you probably
didn't
> > want to hear it. With the multiple installs and un-installs with
> > multiple drivers and other s/w, you're best bet and most likely
the
> > fastest process to get your card working is to format the hd,
re-install
> > 98, install the 7192 driver, then MMC 7.7. You can find it here:
> >
> > http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/mmc7-7-0-1-n...
> >
> > Since you've upgraded the mobo, I'd think strongly about upgrading
> > XP. SE was probably the most bug-ridden version of Windows ever

Anonymous
April 5, 2004 9:53:40 AM

Kev <insomniakev@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<40708284.40BF@hotmail.com>...
> I'd disable C800 cache in the bios.
>
> I kinda like the 6292/mmc6.3 files.

Is the 6292/mmc6.3 the original ones on the cd from ATI?

> VFW support so i can capture with virtualdub no probem

Could someone please give me some concise steps to fol;low to try and
get this working I have added and removed and done repairs many times.
Rebooting every time. I think we are very close because I can
configure the dvd player. But I DO NOT have a dvd player on this
machine. I just want to capture video from my camera and TV. Thanks
again.

Tony
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 12:56:07 PM

> I love the idea of MMC 7.7 if I new where I could get a hold of it I
> would try that. But I hate the Idea of Fdisk and reload although I
> realize sometimes its the best choice I have so much loaded on this
> machine I would hate to have to reload everything. I may consider
> going to W2K if I was going to do that. Although that even scares me
> as this system is doing almost everything I need right now just fine
> But I would like to do more video apps so please advise and I will go
> in that direction.
>
> Thanks for the help this board is awesome
>
> Tony

Go to http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html, Tony, select your OS and
either Graphic Driver or Multimedia Center. Then select any of the Radeon
(don't worry about it being Radeon. If you have the Rage Theatre chip on
your card, which you should if it's an AIW 128 Pro, any MMC 7.x should work
with it.) entries and click the Go button.

Scroll down the page and click the Previous Software Versions or Previous
Driver versions. Now scroll well down , to Catalyst 3.1 or earlier, and
you'll see MMC 7.7.0.1 in the right hand column. DVD player 7.6 is also
there - if you want to use that, install it first (you'll need an Ati CD to
validate your install), then install MMC 7.7.0.1, which will update DVD 7.6
to 7.7.

I'm don't know about the Catalyst drivers (I suspect they wouldn't work),
but I think some of the earliest Radeon drivers, at the bottom of the page,
used to work with my AIW 128 Pro. I'm not sure of that, though, it was a
few years ago.

patrickp

> [...]
> > hurt to install DX 9.0b. Then install your display driver, remembering
the
> > capture driver if it's not included, but don't install MMC until you've
> > installed your soundcard, and preferably other hardware, too.
> >
> > Incidentally, why don't you try MMC 7.7.0.1 and DVD 7.6? Since your AIW
128
> > Pro should have the Rage Theatre chip on it, that should work - some of
the
> > apps in it will actually install as 7.6, but it will upgrade the DVD
player
> > to 7.7, which is actually, as long as your CPU and mobo are up to it
(and I
> > presume that was why you upgraded?) a very good player. Not as fully
> > featured as the 8.x ones, but superb picture and sound, particularly as
> > compared to Ati's earlier ones. The 7.7 TV app is very nice, too.

Anonymous
April 6, 2004 1:09:14 AM

Patrick I have tried all of these things I get everything working but
they say I do not have a Radeon clas card although this card was used
to capture video and TV stations all of the ones on the cable
network. I uninstalled the 7.7 now everything works but the failed to
initialize still comes up and the TV will not work. Help please before
I blow this thing and evrything ATI up. I could this be one of those
things where I have to rempove anything ati from the entire registry.
then reload.

Help Please

Tony

!