Newbie 9800 pro OC question

I bought a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 MB from NewEgg.
NewEgg lists the Chipset/Core Speed as 380MHZ and the Memory/Effective
SPeed at 680Mhz.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=sapphire%2C9800%2Cpro

However, while running the Redline Software for Overclocking, I notice
the Memory clock only allows 432 Mhz for OCing.

What's the actual mem clock speed of this card and why is Redline so
different? BTW, is there a way I can check actual system memory speed
of this card?

Thanks if you can help.

On 4/4/2004 12:13 PM Mak Wilson brightened our day with:

>I bought a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 MB from NewEgg.
>NewEgg lists the Chipset/Core Speed as 380MHZ and the Memory/Effective
>SPeed at 680Mhz.
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=sapphire%2C9800%2Cpro
>
>However, while running the Redline Software for Overclocking, I notice
>the Memory clock only allows 432 Mhz for OCing.
>
>What's the actual mem clock speed of this card and why is Redline so
>different? BTW, is there a way I can check actual system memory speed
>of this card?
>
>Thanks if you can help.

680 MHz is the "effective" speed of 340 MHz DDR (double data rate). So
you're actually looking at being able to overclock from 340 up to 432 or
"effective" 864 MHz.
Aida32 will check your GPU/Memory speeds for ya.

--
"Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James

Steve [Inglo]

You have a card that is designed to run at 380MHz and you have it running at
432MHz, firstly how much more do you want, and secondly how long do you want
the card to run before it burns out?
Unless you have made a serious cooling mod to the card and your case is well
ventilated you are really pushing that card too hard!

CrimsonLiar

"Mak Wilson" <mydeadpresidents@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 MB from NewEgg.
> NewEgg lists the Chipset/Core Speed as 380MHZ and the Memory/Effective
> SPeed at 680Mhz.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=sapphire%2C9800%2Cpro

> However, while running the Redline Software for Overclocking, I notice
> the Memory clock only allows 432 Mhz for OCing.
>
> What's the actual mem clock speed of this card and why is Redline so
> different? BTW, is there a way I can check actual system memory speed
> of this card?
>
> Thanks if you can help.

jlc

"Mak Wilson" <mydeadpresidents@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 MB from NewEgg.
> NewEgg lists the Chipset/Core Speed as 380MHZ and the Memory/Effective
> SPeed at 680Mhz.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=sapphire%2C9800%2Cpro

> However, while running the Redline Software for Overclocking, I notice
> the Memory clock only allows 432 Mhz for OCing.
>
> What's the actual mem clock speed of this card and why is Redline so
> different? BTW, is there a way I can check actual system memory speed
> of this card?
>
> Thanks if you can help.

Mark I have the same card as you. Do you have the Samsung mem? It's easy to
find out just look at your cards mem modules.
The Samsung ram is very good BTW. But what I discovered after many hours of
testing, was even when I had the card clocked at 410/376 (this is the max my
card can do with out artifacts) I only gained 1-2 fps in all my tests. The
thing is that the 9800Pro is a screaming card at stock speed. I've always
clocked my vid cards because I've always in the past bought mid range cards.
But with the 9800Pro OC'ing just doesn't make that much improvement over
what it can do stock. Plus the fact that the core of this card runs HOT. So
making it run hotter with the stock HSF is not a great idea. Just my 2
cents. JLC

Thanks everyone for the advice. Now I understand why I was confused
about the memory clock. I'm not actually running it at 432 and I
never have. That's just what Redline will take it up to. I
appreciate the warnings. When testing for improved performance, the
tests I've run have been subjective and not too scientific. Maybe the
gain I get is mostly imaginary. The stock fan will have to do because
I'm not interested in spending another 25+ dollars to get a better
cooling fan on my $210 card for minor performance gains. (Besides,
who wants the noise?) If I continue to OC, it won't be much. I'll
check out my memory just out of curiousity. What's considered good
memory for this card? Bad?

Anyway, thanks for you info, warnings, and advice. This newsgroup is
always helpful whenever I visit.