9600XT hangs when scrolling

Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything on my
screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics card. This
is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but happens
in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided no
help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro. The
graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400 chips. Any
suggestions will be appreciated.

"Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything on my
> screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics card.
This
> is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
happens
> in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided no
> help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro. The
> graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400 chips.
Any
> suggestions will be appreciated.

Some applications like IE, Kenneth, have their own scrolling support which
may conflict with your mouse's drivers. In that case, there should be
somewhere in your mouse driver settings you can disable scrolling support to
selected applications. If that's the case, it's nothing to do with your
videocard!

patrickp

What he said, and turn off VPU recovery if your not going to overclock it.
It's not really necessary and causes problems for some.

mc

"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me> wrote in
message news:Dm8cc.50$Xi.39@newsfe1-win...
> "Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything on my
> > screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics card.
> This
> > is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
> happens
> > in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided no
> > help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro. The
> > graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400 chips.
> Any
> > suggestions will be appreciated.
> >

> Some applications like IE, Kenneth, have their own scrolling support which
> may conflict with your mouse's drivers. In that case, there should be
> somewhere in your mouse driver settings you can disable scrolling support
> selected applications. If that's the case, it's nothing to do with your
> videocard!
>
> patrickp

I tried this with no success. Even if you turn off scrolling with the mouse
altogether, the screen still freezes when scrolling with the keyboard.
Turning off VPU does nothing either...when the screen freezes, Windows takes
over and resets the screen to 640 x 480 with 4 bit color depth.

"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me> wrote in
message news:Dm8cc.50$Xi.39@newsfe1-win...
> "Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything on my
> > screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics card.
> This
> > is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
> happens
> > in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided no
> > help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro. The
> > graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400 chips.
> Any
> > suggestions will be appreciated.
> >

> Some applications like IE, Kenneth, have their own scrolling support which
> may conflict with your mouse's drivers. In that case, there should be
> somewhere in your mouse driver settings you can disable scrolling support
> selected applications. If that's the case, it's nothing to do with your
> videocard!
>
> patrickp

jad

remove the mouse from the device manager and reboot

"Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything
on my
> screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics
card. This
> is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
happens
> in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided
no
> help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro.
The
> graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400
chips. Any
> suggestions will be appreciated.

Did this with no effect. I do not believe it to be a mouse problem it also
freezes when you use the arrow keys to scroll.