9600XT hangs when scrolling

Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything on my
screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics card. This
is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but happens
in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided no
help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro. The
graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400 chips. Any
suggestions will be appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about 9600xt hangs scrolling

    "Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything on my
    > screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics card.
    This
    > is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
    happens
    > in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided no
    > help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro. The
    > graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400 chips.
    Any
    > suggestions will be appreciated.

    Some applications like IE, Kenneth, have their own scrolling support which
    may conflict with your mouse's drivers. In that case, there should be
    somewhere in your mouse driver settings you can disable scrolling support to
    selected applications. If that's the case, it's nothing to do with your
    videocard!

    patrickp

    What he said, and turn off VPU recovery if your not going to overclock it.
    It's not really necessary and causes problems for some.

    mc

    "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me> wrote in
    message news:Dm8cc.50$Xi.39@newsfe1-win...
    > "Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything on my
    > > screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics card.
    > This
    > > is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
    > happens
    > > in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided no
    > > help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro. The
    > > graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400 chips.
    > Any
    > > suggestions will be appreciated.
    > >

    > Some applications like IE, Kenneth, have their own scrolling support which
    > may conflict with your mouse's drivers. In that case, there should be
    > somewhere in your mouse driver settings you can disable scrolling support
    > selected applications. If that's the case, it's nothing to do with your
    > videocard!
    >
    > patrickp

    I tried this with no success. Even if you turn off scrolling with the mouse
    altogether, the screen still freezes when scrolling with the keyboard.
    Turning off VPU does nothing either...when the screen freezes, Windows takes
    over and resets the screen to 640 x 480 with 4 bit color depth.

    "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me> wrote in
    message news:Dm8cc.50$Xi.39@newsfe1-win...
    > "Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything on my
    > > screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics card.
    > This
    > > is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
    > happens
    > > in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided no
    > > help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro. The
    > > graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400 chips.
    > Any
    > > suggestions will be appreciated.
    > >

    > Some applications like IE, Kenneth, have their own scrolling support which
    > may conflict with your mouse's drivers. In that case, there should be
    > somewhere in your mouse driver settings you can disable scrolling support
    > selected applications. If that's the case, it's nothing to do with your
    > videocard!
    >
    > patrickp

    remove the mouse from the device manager and reboot

    "Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything
    on my
    > screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics
    card. This
    > is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
    happens
    > in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided
    no
    > help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro.
    The
    > graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400
    chips. Any
    > suggestions will be appreciated.

    Did this with no effect. I do not believe it to be a mouse problem it also
    freezes when you use the arrow keys to scroll.

    "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
    > remove the mouse from the device manager and reboot
    >

    > "Kenneth Lyons" <k_lyons@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Am I the only person having this problem? When scrolling anything
    > on my
    > > screen, the screen freezes and VPU Recovery resets the graphics
    > card. This
    > > is most prevalent when in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but
    > happens
    > > in other graphic intensive problems such as Photoshop. ATI provided
    > no
    > > help. The system is an Intel D865PERL w/ 2.8G P4 running XP Pro.
    > The
    > > graphics card has 128M on board. System memory is 1G on 2 DR400
    > chips. Any
    > > suggestions will be appreciated.

Radeon Graphics Cards ATI Graphics