Reboot during games and DVD play?

Hi,

in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
games.
I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
4h.

Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
DV, I presume the problem is here.

I've the latest drivers.

any idea?

Thanks for your help.

Jerome.
PS: please reply by email.

"J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> games.
> I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> 4h.
>
> Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> DV, I presume the problem is here.
>
> I've the latest drivers.
>
> any idea?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jerome.
> PS: please reply by email.

VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers installed;
also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings in
your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.

Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
strange sidekick powers like what I do...

patrickp

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bit more info on your set-up would be good.
Have you checked for viruses, etc.. any thing installed recently..

"J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> games.
> I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> 4h.
>
> Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> DV, I presume the problem is here.
>
> I've the latest drivers.
>
> any idea?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jerome.
> PS: please reply by email.

Hi,

No, nothing new on my computer.
My config:
* P4 2ghz
* ATI Radeon 8500 DV
* 512 mb of RAM

I've added a CD burner last week, but all works fine after its
installation.
I've no viruses.

What I've tested on my computer after the problem starts:
* Changing the memory from a slot to another
* reinstalling ATI drivers, updated the motherboard (SIS) drivers
* reinstalling DirectX 9b
* complete virus check
* Scandisk, defrag
* creating a new user profile

But all of this doesn't works. I reboot again.
If the problem is the CD Burner, why my reboots problems start 1 week
after its installation and not just after its installation?

"blah" <blah@blah.blah> wrote in message news:<4070cdc3$0$16592$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
> Bit more info on your set-up would be good.
> Have you checked for viruses, etc.. any thing installed recently..
>
> "J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> > During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> > games.
> > I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> > 4h.
> >
> > Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> > Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> > And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> > DV, I presume the problem is here.
> >
> > I've the latest drivers.
> >
> > any idea?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Jerome.
> > PS: please reply by email.

ok...
there is my config:
chipset: Sis 645
MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
Poc.: P4 2ghz
Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
Sound: SB Audigy 2
HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
1 DVD Rom
1 CDRW
Network: DLink DFE 538TX

I've the latest drivers for each component.
I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.

sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen

On 5 Apr 2004 15:55:30 -0700, willgart@hotmail.com (J?j?) wrote:

>ok...
>there is my config:
>chipset: Sis 645
>MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
>Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
>Poc.: P4 2ghz
>Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
>Sound: SB Audigy 2
>HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
>1 DVD Rom
>1 CDRW
>Network: DLink DFE 538TX
>
>I've the latest drivers for each component.
>I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.
>

>sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen

What OS are you using, Jerome? Also, how have you got your drives set
up?

If you're using a Sis chipset, it won't be the PCI Latency bug; that
specifically affects various VIA chipsets only.

patrickp

>"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me> wrote in message news:<Em8cc.53$Xi.32@newsfe1-win>...
>> "J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
>> > During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
>> > games.
>> > I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
>> > 4h.
>> >
>> > Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
>> > Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
>> > And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
>> > DV, I presume the problem is here.
>> >
>> > I've the latest drivers.
>> >
>> > any idea?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > Jerome.
>> > PS: please reply by email.
>>

>> VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers installed;
>> also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings in
>> your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.
>>
>> Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
>> strange sidekick powers like what I do...
>>
>> patrickp

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"patrickp" <patrickp@acoustibop5.co.uk - take 5 to email me> wrote in
message news:lfq37014ba19imp7u7v1p6j0oo8o04tinv@4ax.com...
> On 5 Apr 2004 15:55:30 -0700, willgart@hotmail.com (J?j?) wrote:
>
> >ok...
> >there is my config:
> >chipset: Sis 645
> >MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
> >Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
> >Poc.: P4 2ghz
> >Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
> >Sound: SB Audigy 2
> >HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
> >1 DVD Rom
> >1 CDRW
> >Network: DLink DFE 538TX
> >
> >I've the latest drivers for each component.
> >I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.
> >

> >sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen
> >

> What OS are you using, Jerome? Also, how have you got your drives set
> up?
>
> If you're using a Sis chipset, it won't be the PCI Latency bug; that
> specifically affects various VIA chipsets only.
>
> patrickp
>

> >"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me> wrote in
message news:<Em8cc.53$Xi.32@newsfe1-win>...
> >> "J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers
installed;
> >> also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings
in
> >> your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.
> >>
> >> Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
> >> strange sidekick powers like what I do...
> >>
> >> patrickp

Did you install the SiS IDE driver? If so, what version?

Its a Windows XP Pro version

And Yes, I've installed the Sis IDE driver to try to resolve the
issue, but the problem as started before I install these drivers and
installing this driver don't change anything.

I've also deactivated the VPU recoverer without any more success.

My IDE drive as 3 partitions (10, 20 and 30gb)

I'll try to unlug the CDRW, maybe its a power problem and with the CD
I consume too many power.

> Hi,
>
> No, nothing new on my computer.
> My config:
> * P4 2ghz
> * ATI Radeon 8500 DV
> * 512 mb of RAM
>
> I've added a CD burner last week, but all works fine after its
> installation.
> I've no viruses.

Have you tried removing the CD burner? Does that stop the random reboots?

It could even be something as strange as your psu is at it's limit, and
adding another power hungry device pushes it over the edge...

Neil

I'll try this tonight.

In the past my computer had 2 HD and 1 DVD
now I've 1 HD 1 DVd 1 CDRW

to follow...

"[neil]" <neilw@legend.co.uk> wrote in message news:<c4tpp0$2nqb6g$1@ID-225607.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> "J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > No, nothing new on my computer.
> > My config:
> > * P4 2ghz
> > * ATI Radeon 8500 DV
> > * 512 mb of RAM
> >
> > I've added a CD burner last week, but all works fine after its
> > installation.
> > I've no viruses.
> >

> Have you tried removing the CD burner? Does that stop the random reboots?
>
> It could even be something as strange as your psu is at it's limit, and
> adding another power hungry device pushes it over the edge...
>
> Neil

Sounds like overheating to me -- either the vid-card or the CPU.

My system is not overclocked
I've unplug my CDRW to reduce the power usage, but my system crash again !
I've just installed the catalyst 4.4 without more results.

my fans (CPU and Video card) works fine

sniff :((

wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote in message news:<20040407145739.27085.00000820@mb-m12.aol.com>...
> Sounds like overheating to me -- either the vid-card or the CPU.
> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

I have this exact same problem with my Hercules 8500LE 64mb card.

My sys:
Duron1600MHz
Abit KT7A - v1,2
Hercules 3dp 8500LE 64mb AGP4x
512mb (PC133) 2x128, 1x256
Soundblaster Live digital 5.1
Enermax 365WhisperSeries 350Watt - <NEW
Seagate 40GB hdd - 5400rpm
WesternDigital WD1200jb 120GB hdd - 7200rpm
LG CDRW 52x32x52x - <NEW
Panasonic DVD rom
WinXP pro sp1
DX9.0b
CAT-4.2

So you see, we have basically nothing in common, except maybe 8500 card ?
I'm pretty sure this card is dead. Sorry to say, but your's might be as
well.

Well...
I continue to have my problems...
now my computer reboot randomly.
I'm in windows to view a web page, and I reboot!!! :(
So, out of games, I've some problems.

Also, my computer don't boot normally the morning.
at the begining of the windows loading process, my screen becomes
black and I must reboot my computer, then I can boot normally (or near
normally).

Also, during a game, I've received a video card error through the VPU
recoverer and I've sent it to ATI.
I think this error comfirm that the problem is my 8500DV.

I'm waiting a response from ATI...

willgart@hotmail.com (J?j?) wrote in message news:<f5c61a45.0404041638.2ad8d8b5@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> games.
> I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> 4h.
>
> Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> DV, I presume the problem is here.
>
> I've the latest drivers.
>
> any idea?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jerome.
> PS: please reply by email.

Sorry to hear that. I just changed radeon with a new 9600SE, and while it's
not as fast, it is rock solid. No more crashes in any thing. I did not
changed any thing else, and crashes are gone.

> Well...
> I continue to have my problems...
> now my computer reboot randomly.
> I'm in windows to view a web page, and I reboot!!! :(
> So, out of games, I've some problems.
>
> Also, my computer don't boot normally the morning.
> at the begining of the windows loading process, my screen becomes
> black and I must reboot my computer, then I can boot normally (or near
> normally).
>
> Also, during a game, I've received a video card error through the VPU
> recoverer and I've sent it to ATI.
> I think this error comfirm that the problem is my 8500DV.
>
> I'm waiting a response from ATI...
>
> willgart@hotmail.com (J?j?) wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> > During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> > games.
> > I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> > 4h.
> >
> > Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> > Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> > And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> > DV, I presume the problem is here.
> >
> > I've the latest drivers.
> >
> > any idea?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Jerome.
> > PS: please reply by email.

I think I'll done the same action...
with the new games and the power required, I think its not a so bad idea ;)

> I think I'll done the same action...
> with the new games and the power required, I think its not a so bad idea
;)

It was to some extent, if I would be playing new games on this machine.
9600SE is marginally SLOWER than 8500. However, it does overclock very
nicely :) Running at (375/225) compaired to std. 325/200, it does become
somewhat warm.

:(((

My problems becomes huge...
Now my computer don't boot normally.
When I start it, his freeze before windows starts.
I must stop it and restart it.
Then I boot normally... then I login in windows, my antivirus starts,
and I crash during the scan!!! (after a few minutes)
Then the system works fine until I play in a game... or sometimes if I
view a video/dvd.

well... now I'm not sure if the pb is the video card.

"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message news:<Xiyhc.80315$BD3.9467345@juliett.dax.net>...
> "J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I think I'll done the same action...
> > with the new games and the power required, I think its not a so bad idea
> ;)
>
> It was to some extent, if I would be playing new games on this machine.
> 9600SE is marginally SLOWER than 8500. However, it does overclock very
> nicely :) Running at (375/225) compaired to std. 325/200, it does become
> somewhat warm.

Try getting a new card from some store that have like 30/15 day moneyback
policy or something. Here is Norway, many stores are obliged to have it.
See if that new card can cure your system.
If not, reture the card back, and concentrate on ram or psu?

Just so you know, my system was unstable like a OD'ed puppy, crashing at a
first sight of overlay or 3d app. Now it's rock solid.
Running DC++/SETI for 31 hours straight, including having run 3 sessions of
UFO-AfterMath, 1 of NfsU, 10-12 hours of ATI-GORGOYLE screensaver. So it's
pretty stable.

> :(((
>
> My problems becomes huge...
> Now my computer don't boot normally.
> When I start it, his freeze before windows starts.
> I must stop it and restart it.
> Then I boot normally... then I login in windows, my antivirus starts,
> and I crash during the scan!!! (after a few minutes)
> Then the system works fine until I play in a game... or sometimes if I
> view a video/dvd.
>
> well... now I'm not sure if the pb is the video card.
>
> "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
> > "J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I think I'll done the same action...
> > > with the new games and the power required, I think its not a so bad
idea
> > ;)
> >
> > It was to some extent, if I would be playing new games on this machine.
> > 9600SE is marginally SLOWER than 8500. However, it does overclock very
> > nicely :) Running at (375/225) compaired to std. 325/200, it does become
> > somewhat warm.

Well, I've asked the tech support of ATI to request a new cards
because my card is always under waranty.
I wait for further information from this side.

But a strange point on my problem.
When my computer is started for more then 6h, then I crash less (or
none)
Its like if my system is "hot", then there is less problems.

a friend had the same problem and changing the slot of his memory has
resolve the problem. but in my case, no result.

Well... wait and see :)