DisplayLink Reveals USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

because HDMI cant do audio we plonked these here RCA ports..... !?#@*

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]sgtopmobile[/nom]useless, who the FUC* will have USB 3.0 in a laptop or PC but no HDMI???[/citation]

Hmm, interesting... you're probably right, I haven't seen a single device like that. Still, it's good to see there ARE adapters for pretty much everything nowadays - I remember the old days when you would be stuck with one type of port until you trash the device.

[citation][nom]sgtopmobile[/nom]useless, who the FUC* will have USB 3.0 in a laptop or PC but no HDMI???[/citation]

That was my first thought, but you do have to realize that very soon, most all computers will be equipped with USB 3.0, and then it will useful.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Sure, but the point is that they'll all have HDMI, as well.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
A long time ago I was hoping that by USB 3.0 they will make it push video natively... how many years will it still take until we'll have a single plug for everything?

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

Most of the article is marketing fluff and the real news is the second to last paragraph where USB 2.0 laptops and desktops that don't have HDMI ports can use this technology. Not that screen res will allow 1080, but probably 720.

mavroxur

Distinguished

People wanting to run multiple displays on a system with one HDMI port.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]That was my first thought, but you do have to realize that very soon, most all computers will be equipped with USB 3.0, and then it will useful.[/citation]

I am still waiting to see a mini 6 port, display port eyefinity card in any of the high end laptops.

That really would make this USB solution pointless. I need my 6 30 inch LCD's connected to my laptop.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
The only benefit I can think of is maybe a secondary outputted display or if your existing HDMI slot broke. I mean even desktop graphics card have HDMI out!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Sure, but the point is that they'll all have HDMI, as well.[/citation]

i can see laptops not having hdmi to save a bit of money/port space for more usb3 ports.

bucknutty

Distinguished
This device might be good for anyone who wants to add a third monitor to a laptop. Any computer with USB3 will have an HDMI and the ability to drive 2 screens (Laptop screen + 1 HDMI,or VGA) so this would be an easy way to drive 3 screens. It could also be good for someone with a newer budget desktop that just wants to plug a cable in rather than adding a PCIe video card for an extra monitor.

In my office many of the laptop users have a USB2-VGA/DVI adapter. They seem to work fine for basic coding and e-mail.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Add some more USB ports on this thing and you've got yourself a USB 3.0 laptop docking station. Make that and then call me.

Status
Not open for further replies.