Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

understanding iPAQ's file system

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 6:49:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I was hoping someone can help me understand the file system
on my iPAQ. As a part of synchronizing with my PC, I have
asked ActiveSync to synchronize my "Notes" from MS Outlook.

Now, here's the strange thing. There are 5 sample files that
came with the system. 4 are JPG images and the 5th is an
audio file that is an accompaniment to one of the images.
This audio file now shows up as one of the Notes in Outlook!
And I can't seem to find a way to get it out of there without
losing it completely.

When I open Explorer on the iPAQ, I see all of my notes, and
all 5 files in one flat directory. If open only the Notes
on iPAQ, then I see all of my notes and only the audio file,
but not the images. When I open the "Pocket_PC" folder on
my PC's desktop, I see the 4 images, but not the audio file.
I've tried copying the audio file in Outlook's Notes folder
and then pasting into the Pocket_PC folder but that doesn't
seem to work.

I'd appreciate it if someone can help me figure this one out.
HP's customer service hasn't been helpful at all. The
only thing they have helped me figure out so far is how to
reset the device!

Anoop
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 10:51:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 18 Apr 2004 14:49:05 -0700, anoop@alumni.duke.edu (Anoop Ghanwani)
wrote:

>I was hoping someone can help me understand the file system
>on my iPAQ. As a part of synchronizing with my PC, I have
>asked ActiveSync to synchronize my "Notes" from MS Outlook.
>
>Now, here's the strange thing. There are 5 sample files that
>came with the system. 4 are JPG images and the 5th is an
>audio file that is an accompaniment to one of the images.
>This audio file now shows up as one of the Notes in Outlook!
>And I can't seem to find a way to get it out of there without
>losing it completely.
>
>When I open Explorer on the iPAQ, I see all of my notes, and
>all 5 files in one flat directory. If open only the Notes
>on iPAQ, then I see all of my notes and only the audio file,
>but not the images. When I open the "Pocket_PC" folder on
>my PC's desktop, I see the 4 images, but not the audio file.
>I've tried copying the audio file in Outlook's Notes folder
>and then pasting into the Pocket_PC folder but that doesn't
>seem to work.
>
>I'd appreciate it if someone can help me figure this one out.
>HP's customer service hasn't been helpful at all. The
>only thing they have helped me figure out so far is how to
>reset the device!

The Pocket PC interprets the audio file as a voice Note. Which format
is the audio file in? If you convert it to MP3 or WMA it'll never be
seen as a voice Note.

--
Rob Borek
Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 2:07:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The demo files are there to show off the picture viewers included with the
iPAQ. One of the features of the iPAQ viewer is the ability to attach audio
to a picture. That is why the wav is there. The Notes application, as Rob
mentions, also sees that wav as a native format because the Notes
application supports both written and audio notes. Opening Notes won't see
the pictures of course because they are not Notes, either written or audio.
Opening Explorer will of course see all the files, regardless of what
application(s) they are associated with.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Rob Borek" <rborek@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:ke1680tmmv6ncpjhjehcste8jndm6sm548@4ax.com...
> On 18 Apr 2004 14:49:05 -0700, anoop@alumni.duke.edu (Anoop Ghanwani)
> wrote:
>
> >I was hoping someone can help me understand the file system
> >on my iPAQ. As a part of synchronizing with my PC, I have
> >asked ActiveSync to synchronize my "Notes" from MS Outlook.
> >
> >Now, here's the strange thing. There are 5 sample files that
> >came with the system. 4 are JPG images and the 5th is an
> >audio file that is an accompaniment to one of the images.
> >This audio file now shows up as one of the Notes in Outlook!
> >And I can't seem to find a way to get it out of there without
> >losing it completely.
> >
> >When I open Explorer on the iPAQ, I see all of my notes, and
> >all 5 files in one flat directory. If open only the Notes
> >on iPAQ, then I see all of my notes and only the audio file,
> >but not the images. When I open the "Pocket_PC" folder on
> >my PC's desktop, I see the 4 images, but not the audio file.
> >I've tried copying the audio file in Outlook's Notes folder
> >and then pasting into the Pocket_PC folder but that doesn't
> >seem to work.
> >
> >I'd appreciate it if someone can help me figure this one out.
> >HP's customer service hasn't been helpful at all. The
> >only thing they have helped me figure out so far is how to
> >reset the device!
>
> The Pocket PC interprets the audio file as a voice Note. Which format
> is the audio file in? If you convert it to MP3 or WMA it'll never be
> seen as a voice Note.
>
> --
> Rob Borek
> Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
> Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 2:36:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Wav/Notes files are strange animals... see

http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Record for some additional information.

When "notes" is checked in Activesync, wav files in the My Documents
_main memory_ on the ppc are synced as Outlook notes' objects and do not
appear on the pc as wav files.

However, wav files on the PPC can be copied to the PC as wav files, and
if you set up the sound recorder to store on memory card when available,
they will not be synced and can be easily copied to and from the pc with
a memory card reader.

Beverly Howard
April 19, 2004 1:57:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,

If you want the wav file on your iPAQ as a wav on your desktop computer,
choose the 'Explore' option in ActiveSync and then drag it from one to the
other. I have all my voicenotes and other wavs both in my Outlook notes
folder, and as wavs in a normal folder on my PC (sound files in Outlook's
notes folder are pretty poor to work with).

You can also move wavs from your PC to your iPAQ, but they may not play
through iPAQ's notes feature if they're not in a compatible format. Third
party software could probably play them, or you could experiment with
ActiveSync's conversion options.

Good luck,

Jez


"Anoop Ghanwani" <anoop@alumni.duke.edu> wrote in message
news:50bde0e6.0404181349.2e17e3d3@posting.google.com...
> I was hoping someone can help me understand the file system
> on my iPAQ. As a part of synchronizing with my PC, I have
> asked ActiveSync to synchronize my "Notes" from MS Outlook.
>
> Now, here's the strange thing. There are 5 sample files that
> came with the system. 4 are JPG images and the 5th is an
> audio file that is an accompaniment to one of the images.
> This audio file now shows up as one of the Notes in Outlook!
> And I can't seem to find a way to get it out of there without
> losing it completely.
>
> When I open Explorer on the iPAQ, I see all of my notes, and
> all 5 files in one flat directory. If open only the Notes
> on iPAQ, then I see all of my notes and only the audio file,
> but not the images. When I open the "Pocket_PC" folder on
> my PC's desktop, I see the 4 images, but not the audio file.
> I've tried copying the audio file in Outlook's Notes folder
> and then pasting into the Pocket_PC folder but that doesn't
> seem to work.
>
> I'd appreciate it if someone can help me figure this one out.
> HP's customer service hasn't been helpful at all. The
> only thing they have helped me figure out so far is how to
> reset the device!
>
> Anoop
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 12:11:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I guess seeing the .wav
files is a weirdness I need to get used to :) 

I thought the iPAQ didn't need to have a flat directory structure,
but I guess I was wrong.

Anoop

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message news:<e9YuJ#bJEHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Wav/Notes files are strange animals... see
>
> http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Record for some additional information.
>
> When "notes" is checked in Activesync, wav files in the My Documents
> _main memory_ on the ppc are synced as Outlook notes' objects and do not
> appear on the pc as wav files.
>
> However, wav files on the PPC can be copied to the PC as wav files, and
> if you set up the sound recorder to store on memory card when available,
> they will not be synced and can be easily copied to and from the pc with
> a memory card reader.
>
> Beverly Howard
!