New ati radeon 9800pro issue...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2004 3:56:14 PM

Hi i did buy the ati radeon 9800pro and i'm having trouble when
benchmarking or playinng game it luck up and freez my system.
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 10:23:47 PM

You must be one lucky guy.

>Hi i did buy the ati radeon 9800pro and i'm having trouble when
>benchmarking or playinng game it luck up and freez my system.

April 6, 2004 10:23:48 PM

Hi, i did buy the ati radeon 9800pro and i'm having trouble when
benchmarking or playinng game, it luck up and freezevery time i would
love to know what to do with this.

Can it be a problem of power supply or those it come from a defective
videocard?
April 6, 2004 10:23:49 PM

Maybe not. Try an overclocking tool like ATI Tool.exe and try underclocking
the memory and core, then see if it still locks up when playing a game. If
not, your card is just running a little hot.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

"DreamMaker" <onesuponatime@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> Hi, i did buy the ati radeon 9800pro and i'm having trouble when
> benchmarking or playinng game, it luck up and freezevery time i would
> love to know what to do with this.
>
> Can it be a problem of power supply or those it come from a defective
> videocard?
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 10:23:49 PM

DreamMaker <onesuponatime@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<shu570l2a7mqjoor3dk1vgk22ok92mm25u@4ax.com>...
> Hi, i did buy the ati radeon 9800pro and i'm having trouble when
> benchmarking or playinng game, it luck up and freezevery time i would
> love to know what to do with this.
>
> Can it be a problem of power supply or those it come from a defective
> videocard?

Might be overheating, my card is in RMA because... it overheated. And
now the shop can take a look at it... probably it will be send back
with "it works.. but it runs slightly hot" ... oh well.. I guess I
have to put allot of cuperwork on it!
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 10:23:50 PM

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:58:08 -0400, "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com>
wrote:

>Maybe not. Try an overclocking tool like ATI Tool.exe and try underclocking
>the memory and core, then see if it still locks up when playing a game. If
>not, your card is just running a little hot.
>
>Gary

hmm by doing so, i'm reducing the (amp/wattage on the VC so it less
stress on the psu) ?

i will check it out, thanks....
April 6, 2004 11:17:59 PM

On 06 Apr 2004 18:23:47 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

>You must be one lucky guy.
>
>>Hi i did buy the ati radeon 9800pro and i'm having trouble when
>>benchmarking or playinng game it luck up and freez my system.
>>

>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Obviously you need to ascertain that it is indeed the new video card that's
causing the lockup and instability problems.

It could be a number of things that's causing the problem. from poor power
supply to a corrupted driver etc.

My first Powercolor 9800 Pro would not even let my system boot, but it would
work in my wifes machine. Despite trying another power supply and other
desperate measures such as booting with only the video card plugged in. In my
case it was a faulty video card.. a replacement resolved the issue and all has
been well since.

Its a case of elimination, try another power supply if one is available, put
your bios settings back to defaults, slack off any memory timings etc.
Try turning off fastwrites, and running in AGP-4 mode if its currently 8.

Is it only giving trouble when running 3d apps? if so it may be driver issue or
Directx has got corrupted, could also be heat related of course.

Unfortunately there is no definitive sure answer... The first thing I always do
if I start getting un-explained lockups etc. is to run 'Mem86' which gives the
memory a good testing, most problems I've had in the past have been down to a
faulty memory module.
But if it was working okay before you changed the video card then obviously the
card itself has got to come under suspicion.

Hope you sort it.

Regards

John
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 11:18:00 PM

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:17:59 GMT, John <dy73ui39aHe5@cableinet.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 06 Apr 2004 18:23:47 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:
>
>>You must be one lucky guy.
>>
>>>Hi i did buy the ati radeon 9800pro and i'm having trouble when
>>>benchmarking or playinng game it luck up and freez my system.
>>>

>>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
>
>Obviously you need to ascertain that it is indeed the new video card that's
>causing the lockup and instability problems.
>
>It could be a number of things that's causing the problem. from poor power
>supply to a corrupted driver etc.
>
>My first Powercolor 9800 Pro would not even let my system boot, but it would
>work in my wifes machine. Despite trying another power supply and other
>desperate measures such as booting with only the video card plugged in. In my
>case it was a faulty video card.. a replacement resolved the issue and all has
>been well since.
>
>Its a case of elimination, try another power supply if one is available, put
>your bios settings back to defaults, slack off any memory timings etc.
>Try turning off fastwrites, and running in AGP-4 mode if its currently 8.
>
>Is it only giving trouble when running 3d apps? if so it may be driver issue or
>Directx has got corrupted, could also be heat related of course.
>
>Unfortunately there is no definitive sure answer... The first thing I always do
>if I start getting un-explained lockups etc. is to run 'Mem86' which gives the
>memory a good testing, most problems I've had in the past have been down to a
>faulty memory module.
>But if it was working okay before you changed the video card then obviously the
>card itself has got to come under suspicion.
>
>Hope you sort it.
>
>Regards
>
>John

Thank you for the support. i first start to disconnect a drive and a
cd burner and get the latest driver "catalitsys"

Now i'm able to run some 3d applications to the end of the test like
3dmark01 and 03. That is good, It work. alltough that i got a small
300watts psu that is in fact supposedly capable of running the
Videocard, by chance it does.

i guess when installing new component in the machine it give a little
strange smell like over heating ( maybe thats because its the most
powerfulll VC on the market, not to mention the xt vr) ... but what
can i say it doent crash anymore so i guess it was a factory driver
issue.

I'm gone a plug back the drive just to see if it lock up.

cia
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 3:34:13 AM

Well, many of the issues with this card is that the memory runs hot. By
underclocking the card, it'll produce less heat. If it runs this way, but
not at stock clock rates, it means the memory is getting hot and some
ramsinks would cure the problem.

Gary

--

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:58:08 -0400, "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Maybe not. Try an overclocking tool like ATI Tool.exe and try
underclocking
> >the memory and core, then see if it still locks up when playing a game.
If
> >not, your card is just running a little hot.
> >
> >Gary
>
> hmm by doing so, i'm reducing the (amp/wattage on the VC so it less
> stress on the psu) ?
>

> i will check it out, thanks....
April 7, 2004 7:32:13 AM

> i guess when installing new component in the machine it give a little
> strange smell like over heating ( maybe thats because its the most
> powerfulll VC on the market, not to mention the xt vr) ... but what
> can i say it doent crash anymore so i guess it was a factory driver
> issue.
>
> I'm gone a plug back the drive just to see if it lock up.

What gives of the smell? The PS or the ATI card? Dude nothing should smell
when you install it for the love of God! I think you have much bigger
problems then your new 9800Pro. JLC
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 10:46:54 PM

>Obviously you need to ascertain that it is indeed the new video card that's
>causing the lockup and instability problems.
>
>It could be a number of things that's causing the problem. from poor power
>supply to a corrupted driver etc.
>
>My first Powercolor 9800 Pro would not even let my system boot, but it would
>work in my wifes machine. Despite trying another power supply and other
>desperate measures such as booting with only the video card plugged in. In my
>case it was a faulty video card.. a replacement resolved the issue and all has
>been well since.
>
>Its a case of elimination, try another power supply if one is available, put
>your bios settings back to defaults, slack off any memory timings etc.
>Try turning off fastwrites, and running in AGP-4 mode if its currently 8.
>
>Is it only giving trouble when running 3d apps? if so it may be driver issue or
>Directx has got corrupted, could also be heat related of course.
>
>Unfortunately there is no definitive sure answer... The first thing I always do
>if I start getting un-explained lockups etc. is to run 'Mem86' which gives the
>memory a good testing, most problems I've had in the past have been down to a
>faulty memory module.
>But if it was working okay before you changed the video card then obviously the
>card itself has got to come under suspicion.
>
>Hope you sort it.
>
>Regards
>
>John

Hi i did some test with memtest86 vr3 and it didnt show any error in
ecc and non ecc. i did the test 2 time and it show no error.

the test:
So on that side i'm ok.
it would be nice if it was able to test the video memory too.

Some conclusion:
But i would say that driver are a big issue here and the way the
videocard is manufactured. no heat spreader on the memory chip that
become very hot under heavy load. l did touch the card once one mins
after the computer was off and disconnected and wooo hooo it hot near
the agp slot ( mem chip) and less on the auther side...??? Lets say
that the fan is less bigger than the one i got on my old fx5200td asus

Maybe i should'nt complain, because i did pay the card 266$ us.

The situation:
now i'm at the point where i will reduce the memory speed of the video
card. Pffff overheating, so ati sells 9800 or maybe 9700 video card oc
to a 9800pro by that there is no way i will be able to do OC with that
kind of heating problem. Lets say that on the memory chip of the card,
there is no heat spreader... i will say... Is this normal? i should'nt
have to buy these heatspreader and stick it on the memory and by that
risking my investment...

The brand name:
The videocard is suppose to be made by ati it self so it's not an
albatron or a powercolor or an asus...

Finally:
I'm gone end with a 9700 maybe less, but to do that i will need the
specific program to reduce the frequency of the card. Could you help
me on that one????

if the performance are gettig to low with the new setting i'm gone
return that thing...
!