MS-6168 bios upgrade

Hi all,

I have a MS-6168 motherboard and I have tried very hard to obtain bios
updates for this board.

My new harddrive which is 120Gb does not work with my current bios.

Can anyone assist me?

Thank You
6 answers Last reply
More about 6168 bios upgrade
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Just some more information.. MY bios is an AMI Bios

    All the updates I have seen are for AWARD bios's.. tried these and they
    don't work.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Billy K" <billycomp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just some more information.. MY bios is an AMI Bios
    >
    > All the updates I have seen are for AWARD bios's.. tried these and
    they
    > don't work.

    You tried a BIOS that was not for your motherboard? I am not surprised
    that they don't work. I would try here http://www.unicore.com which
    has the AMI & Award and a few others. They as a rule charge for this.

    And with the information you supplied I could not say that the
    motherboard is even from a Packard Bell. You might try the Packard
    Bell Home page http://www.packardbell.com choose the site nearest to
    you. Also another site to try would be
    http://www.priorityonesupport.com

    And as a last resort try the Google search at http://www.google.com

    I hope that helped?

    Elector
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    The machine is definitely a Packard bell, Multi Media 800AU model. Was
    purchased about 3 years ago.

    The Australian packard bell web site does not work, whether this is on my
    computer or simply the site is down. For some time I assumed Packard bell
    may going belly up due to the poor support I have been finding.

    FRom the many other Packard bell internation sites that I have visited i
    cannot find any refernece to my computer.

    I found out the model and make of my motherboard using aida32 software.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    My details for the motherboard and BIOS

    Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.30
    BIOS Date: 03/14/00
    BIOS Type: American Megatrends
    BIOS ID: 61-0314-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1AAET006
    OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V2.96 03142000
    Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    Superio: Unknown
    OS: WinXP
    CPU: Pentium III 800 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: No
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 256 MB
    Memory Maximum: 256 MB
    Memory Slot 01: 0 MB
    Memory Slot 02: 256 MB

    eSupport.com, Inc.
    1-800-800-BIOS (2467)
    www.esupport.com

    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 61-0314-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX$1AAET006A6168P2 V2.96
    03142000
    Motherboard Name MSI MS-6168

    Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel GTL+
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz
    Effective Clock 100 MHz
    Bandwidth 800 MB/s

    Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type SDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz
    Effective Clock 100 MHz
    Bandwidth 800 MB/s

    Motherboard Physical Info
    CPU Sockets/Slots 1
    Expansion Slots 1 ISA, 3 PCI
    RAM Slots 2 DIMM
    Integrated Devices Audio, Video
    Form Factor Micro ATX
    Motherboard Size 210 mm x 240 mm
    Motherboard Chipset i440ZX

    Motherboard Manufacturer
    Company Name Micro-Star International
    Product Information
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
    BIOS Download
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I am not sure
    I am pretty sure that you will not find an update for that size HD

    It probably would require a new bios version for starts
    and one that was written for the chipsets that are on the MB

    Just buy a IDE card that will allow that HD
    If you are looking for free
    You will have to look at the end of the rainbow for that bios
    or find a programmer that will write it free
    > My details for the motherboard and BIOS
    >
    > Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.30
    > BIOS Date: 03/14/00
    > BIOS Type: American Megatrends
    > BIOS ID: 61-0314-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1AAET006
    > OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V2.96 03142000
    > Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    > Superio: Unknown
    > OS: WinXP
    > CPU: Pentium III 800 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
    > BIOS ROM In Socket: No
    > BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    > Memory Installed: 256 MB
    > Memory Maximum: 256 MB
    > Memory Slot 01: 0 MB
    > Memory Slot 02: 256 MB
    >
    > eSupport.com, Inc.
    > 1-800-800-BIOS (2467)
    > www.esupport.com
    >

    > Motherboard Properties
    > Motherboard ID 61-0314-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX$1AAET006A6168P2
    V2.96
    > 03142000
    > Motherboard Name MSI MS-6168
    >
    > Front Side Bus Properties
    > Bus Type Intel GTL+
    > Bus Width 64-bit
    > Real Clock 100 MHz
    > Effective Clock 100 MHz
    > Bandwidth 800 MB/s
    >
    > Memory Bus Properties
    > Bus Type SDR SDRAM
    > Bus Width 64-bit
    > Real Clock 100 MHz
    > Effective Clock 100 MHz
    > Bandwidth 800 MB/s
    >
    > Motherboard Physical Info
    > CPU Sockets/Slots 1
    > Expansion Slots 1 ISA, 3 PCI
    > RAM Slots 2 DIMM
    > Integrated Devices Audio, Video
    > Form Factor Micro ATX
    > Motherboard Size 210 mm x 240 mm
    > Motherboard Chipset i440ZX
    >
    > Motherboard Manufacturer
    > Company Name Micro-Star International
    > Product Information
    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
    > BIOS Download
    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php

  6. Hi I still have a MS6168, but now use a GA-7DX.
    I have used a piece of software called an overlay, this will allow for bigger HDs, im not sure if it will allow for 120GB, but its worth a try. I used it for win 98SE ni the past & it works, i dont remember using it on XP. Also one thing to look out for is how you boot up, sometimes i booted up and couldn't get into windows. Please read up from this artical & maybe other, before you proceed. If its done right there's no problem.
    I found this sight

    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/hdd/ddo_Disappears.htm

    You will need to to a yahoo search the overlay software which is load from a floppy. It was called ontrack overlay, there may even be better ones now. Good luck

Packard Bell BIOS Hard Drives Motherboards Computers