MS-6168 bios upgrade

Hi all,

I have a MS-6168 motherboard and I have tried very hard to obtain bios
updates for this board.

My new harddrive which is 120Gb does not work with my current bios.

Can anyone assist me?

Thank You

Just some more information.. MY bios is an AMI Bios

All the updates I have seen are for AWARD bios's.. tried these and they
don't work.

"Billy K" <billycomp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just some more information.. MY bios is an AMI Bios
>
> All the updates I have seen are for AWARD bios's.. tried these and
they
> don't work.

You tried a BIOS that was not for your motherboard? I am not surprised
that they don't work. I would try here http://www.unicore.com which
has the AMI & Award and a few others. They as a rule charge for this.

And with the information you supplied I could not say that the
motherboard is even from a Packard Bell. You might try the Packard
Bell Home page http://www.packardbell.com choose the site nearest to
you. Also another site to try would be
http://www.priorityonesupport.com

And as a last resort try the Google search at http://www.google.com

I hope that helped?

Elector

The machine is definitely a Packard bell, Multi Media 800AU model. Was
purchased about 3 years ago.

The Australian packard bell web site does not work, whether this is on my
computer or simply the site is down. For some time I assumed Packard bell
may going belly up due to the poor support I have been finding.

FRom the many other Packard bell internation sites that I have visited i
cannot find any refernece to my computer.

I found out the model and make of my motherboard using aida32 software.

My details for the motherboard and BIOS

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.30
BIOS Date: 03/14/00
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 61-0314-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1AAET006
OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V2.96 03142000
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: Unknown
OS: WinXP
CPU: Pentium III 800 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: No
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 256 MB
Memory Maximum: 256 MB
Memory Slot 01: 0 MB
Memory Slot 02: 256 MB

eSupport.com, Inc.
1-800-800-BIOS (2467)
www.esupport.com

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 61-0314-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX$1AAET006A6168P2 V2.96
03142000
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6168

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 1 ISA, 3 PCI
RAM Slots 2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 210 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset i440ZX

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php

I am not sure
I am pretty sure that you will not find an update for that size HD

It probably would require a new bios version for starts
and one that was written for the chipsets that are on the MB

Just buy a IDE card that will allow that HD
If you are looking for free
You will have to look at the end of the rainbow for that bios
or find a programmer that will write it free
> My details for the motherboard and BIOS
>
> Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.30
> BIOS Date: 03/14/00
> BIOS Type: American Megatrends
> BIOS ID: 61-0314-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1AAET006
> OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V2.96 03142000
> Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
> Superio: Unknown
> OS: WinXP
> CPU: Pentium III 800 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
> BIOS ROM In Socket: No
> BIOS ROM Size: 256K
> Memory Installed: 256 MB
> Memory Maximum: 256 MB
> Memory Slot 01: 0 MB
> Memory Slot 02: 256 MB
>
> eSupport.com, Inc.
> 1-800-800-BIOS (2467)
> www.esupport.com
>

> Motherboard Properties
> Motherboard ID 61-0314-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX$1AAET006A6168P2
V2.96
> 03142000
> Motherboard Name MSI MS-6168
>
> Front Side Bus Properties
> Bus Type Intel GTL+
> Bus Width 64-bit
> Real Clock 100 MHz
> Effective Clock 100 MHz
> Bandwidth 800 MB/s
>
> Memory Bus Properties
> Bus Type SDR SDRAM
> Bus Width 64-bit
> Real Clock 100 MHz
> Effective Clock 100 MHz
> Bandwidth 800 MB/s
>
> Motherboard Physical Info
> CPU Sockets/Slots 1
> Expansion Slots 1 ISA, 3 PCI
> RAM Slots 2 DIMM
> Integrated Devices Audio, Video
> Form Factor Micro ATX
> Motherboard Size 210 mm x 240 mm
> Motherboard Chipset i440ZX
>
> Motherboard Manufacturer
> Company Name Micro-Star International
> Product Information
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
> BIOS Download
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php

Hi I still have a MS6168, but now use a GA-7DX.
I have used a piece of software called an overlay, this will allow for bigger HDs, im not sure if it will allow for 120GB, but its worth a try. I used it for win 98SE ni the past & it works, i dont remember using it on XP. Also one thing to look out for is how you boot up, sometimes i booted up and couldn't get into windows. Please read up from this artical & maybe other, before you proceed. If its done right there's no problem.
I found this sight

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/hdd/ddo_Disappears.htm

You will need to to a yahoo search the overlay software which is load from a floppy. It was called ontrack overlay, there may even be better ones now. Good luck