Lockdown standalone XP Pro PC

I need to create different levels of access to a standalone XP pro PC.
Previously I used poledit on NT to create several user groups, each
with different levels of access. With XP local group policy, it seems
I only have two levels, those to whom to the policy is applied (users)
and those who aren't (admins). Surely there is better access control
than either you are an administrator or you are a restricted user??

How can I create several levels, ie, Untrusted users (who have
everything locked out), Trusted users (more access than untrusted
users), Managers (have slightly more access, but not to everything),
Administrators (access to everything)?

If the PC was on a domain, it could be easily done, but it is a
standalone PC. I could do it easily with poledit on win98 etc.

--
brc

Malke

brc wrote:

> I need to create different levels of access to a standalone XP pro PC.
> Previously I used poledit on NT to create several user groups, each
> with different levels of access. With XP local group policy, it seems
> I only have two levels, those to whom to the policy is applied (users)
> and those who aren't (admins). Surely there is better access control
> than either you are an administrator or you are a restricted user??
>
> How can I create several levels, ie, Untrusted users (who have
> everything locked out), Trusted users (more access than untrusted
> users), Managers (have slightly more access, but not to everything),
> Administrators (access to everything)?
>
> If the PC was on a domain, it could be easily done, but it is a
> standalone PC. I could do it easily with poledit on win98 etc.

On the contrary, you can create very fine-grained permissions with the
Group Policy Editor in XP Pro. Run gpedit.msc and do a lot of exploring
there. You can create user groups that have specific permissions and
then join appropriate users to those groups. Be very careful with the
Group Policy Editor, however; you can easily forget to include yourself
in your new group and be locked out.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User