No internet, PLEASE help!

Hi. I have tried everything but still can't get my laptop to connect to the
internet.
Router DLink,
1 Wireless PC, connects ok
3 laptops wired, connect ok.
Host PC wired connects ok
Problem laptop. I was having signal problems, decided to upgrade driver, but
card didn't work after that,
so uninstalled and reinstalled original and now can't get it to connect to
the internet.
At first by assigning correct IP address I could see the other machines on
network but no internet.
Then after half a day, that too stopped. So I enabled WEP and entered key
etc and that way I could get laptop to join the network but STILL no
internet.
I've tried 3 other cards, (they can't all be faulty)
Done factory reset on router.
Signal Excellent (as in same room now)
All firewalls disabled.
Without wep enabled, Router can't see laptop at all even though IP and DNS
and Default Gateway are correct.
Seeing as everything else is works ok on the laptop, I can't believe that
there is no other way than reformatting it., it's just too drastic.
I am desperate for help please.
Adz

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:42:33 +0100, "JN" <nothanx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi. I have tried everything but still can't get my laptop to connect to the
>internet.
>Router DLink,
>1 Wireless PC, connects ok
>3 laptops wired, connect ok.
>Host PC wired connects ok
>Problem laptop. I was having signal problems, decided to upgrade driver, but
>card didn't work after that,
>so uninstalled and reinstalled original and now can't get it to connect to
>the internet.
>At first by assigning correct IP address I could see the other machines on
>network but no internet.
>Then after half a day, that too stopped. So I enabled WEP and entered key
>etc and that way I could get laptop to join the network but STILL no
>internet.
>I've tried 3 other cards, (they can't all be faulty)
>Done factory reset on router.
>Signal Excellent (as in same room now)
>All firewalls disabled.
>Without wep enabled, Router can't see laptop at all even though IP and DNS
>and Default Gateway are correct.
>Seeing as everything else is works ok on the laptop, I can't believe that
>there is no other way than reformatting it., it's just too drastic.
>I am desperate for help please.
>Adz

Adz,

Some more detail would be a good start here.

What model D-Link router? What wireless cards - make and model - have you
tried? Any D-Link - that would be the one to try when calling D-Link for
support.

Please provide ipconfig information for each computer on your LAN.
Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.
Include name and version of operating system.

Start by disabling all security precautions on the router. Turn off WEP / WPA
and MAC filtering.

Between the problem laptop, and one working computer (also wireless), verify
connectivity:
1) Ping the other by name.
2) Ping the other by ip address.
3) Ping itself by name.
4) Ping itself by ip address.
5) Ping 127.0.0.1.
6) Ping the router.
Report success / failure of each of 12 pings.

From the problem laptop, and one working computer (also wireless), verify
internet access:
1) Ping www.yahoo.com.
2) Ping 66.94.230.33.
Report error messages.

Cheers,
Chuck

Thanx Chuck I was on the phone with D-Link support trying everything you
mention below and more.
Nothing.
Before tossing it through the window, I decided to uninstall all the
updates and the SP1 on the machine. And hey presto, it worked!!!!
And now in hind sight I remember getting an XP update and installing it
before the problem.
I've reinstalled SP1 and it still works. So I'm going to use this time as a
restore point and start installing the other updates that come through, but
one by one.

Thanks again for your reply

> Some more detail would be a good start here.
>
> What model D-Link router? What wireless cards - make and model - have you
> tried? Any D-Link - that would be the one to try when calling D-Link for
> support.
>
> Please provide ipconfig information for each computer on your LAN.
> Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the
command
> window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next
post.
> Include name and version of operating system.
>
> Start by disabling all security precautions on the router. Turn off WEP /
WPA
> and MAC filtering.
>
> Between the problem laptop, and one working computer (also wireless),
verify
> connectivity:
> 1) Ping the other by name.
> 2) Ping the other by ip address.
> 3) Ping itself by name.
> 4) Ping itself by ip address.
> 5) Ping 127.0.0.1.
> 6) Ping the router.
> Report success / failure of each of 12 pings.
>
> From the problem laptop, and one working computer (also wireless), verify
> internet access:
> 1) Ping www.yahoo.com.
> 2) Ping 66.94.230.33.
> Report error messages.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:21:23 +0100, "JN" <nothanx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanx Chuck I was on the phone with D-Link support trying everything you
>mention below and more.
>Nothing.
>Before tossing it through the window, I decided to uninstall all the
>updates and the SP1 on the machine. And hey presto, it worked!!!!
>And now in hind sight I remember getting an XP update and installing it
>before the problem.
>I've reinstalled SP1 and it still works. So I'm going to use this time as a
>restore point and start installing the other updates that come through, but
>one by one.
>
>Thanks again for your reply

Good going, Adz. Thanks for updating us. If you post when you find the problem
update, that might be of use to someone else.
Chuck