Forcing users to save to network

chrisbrown

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone know how to force users to save word and excel files to network?
The policy tools are great for my computer and explorer, but you can still
browse
your local drive when saving from word or excel.
I have tried ntfs rights, but that seems really cumbersome, and I haven't
been able to fine tune to where everything works like it should.

Thanks,
--
cb

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

Hi,

well, the only way I can think of at this moment is, remove the user
permissions on the local drive and setup Office to always go to a mapped
network drive when opening and saving. Only problem with that is, the user
then, cannot save to the local drive for anything else. I don't know if you
can setup policies restricting certian types of documents from being saved
at certian locations, but you might want to check in the newsgroups that
discuss GPO.

Jeff

"chrisbrown" <chrisbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to force users to save word and excel files to network?
> The policy tools are great for my computer and explorer, but you can still
> browse
> your local drive when saving from word or excel.
> I have tried ntfs rights, but that seems really cumbersome, and I haven't
> been able to fine tune to where everything works like it should.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> cb

chrisbrown

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004

There are lots of other errors that occur when you can't write to your c drive.
I think a person would need very exact specifics on how to set up the rights.

"jeffrey" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> well, the only way I can think of at this moment is, remove the user
> permissions on the local drive and setup Office to always go to a mapped
> network drive when opening and saving. Only problem with that is, the user
> then, cannot save to the local drive for anything else. I don't know if you
> can setup policies restricting certian types of documents from being saved
> at certian locations, but you might want to check in the newsgroups that
> discuss GPO.
>
> Jeff
>
> "chrisbrown" <chrisbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to force users to save word and excel files to network?
> > The policy tools are great for my computer and explorer, but you can still
> > browse
> > your local drive when saving from word or excel.
> > I have tried ntfs rights, but that seems really cumbersome, and I haven't
> > been able to fine tune to where everything works like it should.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > cb

Malke

chrisbrown wrote:

> There are lots of other errors that occur when you can't write to your
> c drive. I think a person would need very exact specifics on how to
> set up the rights.
>

> "jeffrey" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> well, the only way I can think of at this moment is, remove the user
>> permissions on the local drive and setup Office to always go to a
>> mapped
>> network drive when opening and saving. Only problem with that is,
>> the user
>> then, cannot save to the local drive for anything else. I don't know
>> if you can setup policies restricting certian types of documents from
>> being saved at certian locations, but you might want to check in the
>> newsgroups that discuss GPO.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "chrisbrown" <chrisbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Anyone know how to force users to save word and excel files to
>> > network? The policy tools are great for my computer and explorer,
>> > but you can still browse
>> > your local drive when saving from word or excel.
>> > I have tried ntfs rights, but that seems really cumbersome, and I
>> > haven't been able to fine tune to where everything works like it
>> > should.

Hi, Chris. Let's approach this from a different angle. How many users
are we talking about here? A few or hundreds? The reason I ask is if
your network is small, it's probably easier to make a folder for each
person on the server and a shortcut to that folder on their desktop.
Then change the default file location for Word (this will do it for
Excel, too I believe) to the server folder. I've done this with many of
my clients and the employees have no trouble understanding the reason
behind this and how it all works. However, my business clients are
small businesses, and obviously if you're talking about hundreds of
employees my way won't work for you.

Cheers,

Malke
--