32bit/64bit vista business/windows 7 home... Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickednoel

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi everyone,
I made a couple of mistakes when purchasing my upgrade to windows seven earlier today.
1. You cannot upgrade from 32bit vista to 64bit windows 7, without a clean install.
2. You cannot upgrade from vista business to windows 7 home without a clean install.

My big problem is that I have purchased an upgrade copy of windows 7 home, 64bit. So I can't uprade without a clean install, a given. Will the disc arriving in the post functional for a clean install? If not, will the product key I have purchased be usable if I were to do a clean install with the normal, non-upgrade software?

Solution
If you purchased the Upgrade version, it includes both 32-bit and 64-bit. But you're right that you would have to clean install to go from Vista Business to Win7 Home.
The Upgrade version will work to clean install Win7. The requirement is that you have to have an activated previous version of Windows on the PC. So don't format; leave Vista on there, and choose to clean install from the Upgrade DVD. It will dump all of the data from your Vista install into a folder called C:\windows.old, supposing your system partition is C. Then it will install Win7.
Good luck!

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
If you purchased the Upgrade version, it includes both 32-bit and 64-bit. But you're right that you would have to clean install to go from Vista Business to Win7 Home.
The Upgrade version will work to clean install Win7. The requirement is that you have to have an activated previous version of Windows on the PC. So don't format; leave Vista on there, and choose to clean install from the Upgrade DVD. It will dump all of the data from your Vista install into a folder called C:\windows.old, supposing your system partition is C. Then it will install Win7.
Good luck!

Solution

pat

Expert

It is still possible to perform a clean install with an upgrade media if needed. google can help you on that

Status
Not open for further replies.