Lockdown standalone XP Pro PC

Thanks for the reply

How do I apply a local group policy to a specific local group?

When on the domain, I can apply a policy to an OU and then put the
users into it, but how do you do this when you are on a standalone PC,
when there are no OUs.

I have posted this question to the
microsoft.public.windows.group_policy newsgroup and got completely
conflicting answers :

Group Policy is very limited for a non domain computer. You should
still be
able to use poledit on XP Pro if it suits your needs, I know it works
on
Windows 2000. If you have a copy of Windows 2000 Server it is installed
with
adminpak as described in the link below. I did try poledit on my XP
computer
and it did open after I also copied the common.adm and winnt.adm files
from
my W2K server to the \windows\inf folder on my XP Pro box. --- Steve

Help - just more confused now

Ben

--
brc

Malke

brc wrote:

See my answers inline:

> How do I apply a local group policy to a specific local group?

You create a new group. You set permissions for that new group by using
the Group Policy Editor (Run>gpedit.msc). You can set extremely
fine-grained permissions with the GPE. Look under Administrative
Templates.

> Group Policy is very limited for a non domain computer.

I don't agree with this, although certainly a server operating system on
a domain gives you even more control. You should be able to do what you
need with the GPE on XP Pro standalone.

I can't imagine why you'd want to use poledit. Group Policy Editor is
available and more useful. Here are some links to help you with GPE:

Check out the additional links at the bottom of the MS Knowledge Base
article, too. There's a ton of useful information there.

And for an article aimed more at the end user:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/group_policy_editor.htm

Malke