Networking between Win XP Sp2 Pro with Win 2k Pro - Continue

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I posted recently, that I am having problems connecting between the computer
running win os XP sp2 Pro with one running win os 2k pro. I could get access
from the xp sp2 pro machine to the win 2k pro machine. I can see the XP sp2
Pro machine fromt the win 2k pro machine.

As far as account setup on these machines, there is no accounts. I think
whoever logins in is Admin?? I really don't know becuase I didn't set any
accounts up. If I do need to do this, can you also explain how to do this on
both OS.

I have tried the following (per suggestion from Ken)
I have enabled guest connections on the XP Pro computer. I did the following:
start->run secpol.msc
Local Policies-> User Rights Assignment
Double click on both "deny access to this computer from the network" and
"deny logon locally"

I removed guest from both of these places and restarted my machine (just in
case)

I also turn the window firewall off.

I still get the following error:

D9z7h461 (which is the name of the XP Sp2 Pro Machine) is not accessible.
Logon failure! User account restriction.

I need more help here!! Thank You,

Gary

Gary wrote:

> I posted recently, that I am having problems connecting between the computer
> running win os XP sp2 Pro with one running win os 2k pro. I could get access
> from the xp sp2 pro machine to the win 2k pro machine. I can see the XP sp2
> Pro machine fromt the win 2k pro machine.
> (snip)
> I also turn the window firewall off.
>
> I still get the following error:
>
> D9z7h461 (which is the name of the XP Sp2 Pro Machine) is not accessible.
> Logon failure! User account restriction.
Hi

Note that for Windows XP in a workgroup setting, all connections coming
from "the network" will default be authenticated as the Guest User.

Note that for WinXP Home you cannot disable the ForceGuest behavior
(only in WinXP Pro).

A direct registry edit is also possible to change this setting:

HOWTO: Validate User Credentials on Microsoft Operating Systems

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;180548

<quote>
On Windows XP, the ForceGuest registry value is set to 1 by default in
the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

On a Windows XP computer that is a member of a workgroup:

If ForceGuest is enabled (set to 1), SSPI will always try to log on
using the Guest account.

If the Guest account is enabled, an SSPI logon will succeed as Guest
for any user credentials.

If the Guest account is disabled, an SSPI logon will fail even for
valid credentials.

If ForceGuest is disabled (set to 0), SSPI will log on as the specified
user.

</quote>

More about ForceGuest here as well:

How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed
in a Workgroup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290403

SMTP Authentication Configuration on Windows XP Professional Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304707

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I tried setting ForceGuest = 0 and I was still undable to connect from the
Win 2k Pro machine.

This is what I found out on the two machines:

Win OS XP Sp Pro has Gary as Comnputer Adminstrator. The Guest is disabled
here.

Win OS 2K Pro has Administrator As Adminstrator Group, Gary As
Adminstrator Group, and Guest as Guest Group.

There is not password for any of the above.

I also tried setting ForceGuest = 1, and it has me for a User name and
password. I tried Using Gary and not entering a password and tried it. It
failed. Should I try setting a User and setting a password for it and try
again??

I would prefer not using any User or password to try entering the XP SP2 Pro
machine.

Please Help!!

Thank You,

Gary