Did I install properly or is something wrong?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

System was built for me with an Asus board and an Intel P4 3.2 with an
800 bus with hyperthreading. It came with a Sapphire ATI 7200.

I called the vendor and asked to change to a 9600 Pro, which they also
offered.

I didn't know the correct way to change the card and drivers. The
vendor told me to just download the latest drivers from ATI's site, turn
off my machine and remove the old card and put in the new one.

He said that when I turned the system back on, I should simply install
the new drivers using the exe file I'd just downloaded from the ATI
site.

I followed these instructions and it seemed to be ok. But I'm confused.
Device Manager relays two display adaptors:
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis
and
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis - secondary

What is "secondary" and are there supposed to be two of them?

TIA

Louise

Filip

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2003

That's normal, your video card has the capability of two displays at a time
and by default both of the ports are open....you appear to have installed
everything just fine, sounds like a nice setup...enjoy it, heh..

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> System was built for me with an Asus board and an Intel P4 3.2 with an
> 800 bus with hyperthreading. It came with a Sapphire ATI 7200.
>
> I called the vendor and asked to change to a 9600 Pro, which they also
> offered.
>
> I didn't know the correct way to change the card and drivers. The
> vendor told me to just download the latest drivers from ATI's site, turn
> off my machine and remove the old card and put in the new one.
>
> He said that when I turned the system back on, I should simply install
> the new drivers using the exe file I'd just downloaded from the ATI
> site.
>
> I followed these instructions and it seemed to be ok. But I'm confused.
> Device Manager relays two display adaptors:
> Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis
> and
> Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis - secondary
>
> What is "secondary" and are there supposed to be two of them?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <ceodc.4753$Y45.4451@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
fpantovich@satx.rr.com says...
> That's normal, your video card has the capability of two displays at a time
> and by default both of the ports are open....you appear to have installed
> everything just fine, sounds like a nice setup...enjoy it, heh..
>

> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > System was built for me with an Asus board and an Intel P4 3.2 with an
> > 800 bus with hyperthreading. It came with a Sapphire ATI 7200.
> >
> > I called the vendor and asked to change to a 9600 Pro, which they also
> > offered.
> >
> > I didn't know the correct way to change the card and drivers. The
> > vendor told me to just download the latest drivers from ATI's site, turn
> > off my machine and remove the old card and put in the new one.
> >
> > He said that when I turned the system back on, I should simply install
> > the new drivers using the exe file I'd just downloaded from the ATI
> > site.
> >
> > I followed these instructions and it seemed to be ok. But I'm confused.
> > Device Manager relays two display adaptors:
> > Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis
> > and
> > Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis - secondary
> >
> > What is "secondary" and are there supposed to be two of them?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Louise

Thanks - much relieved

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

if you aren't going to use the second video head. you can just disable the
secondary in your device manager therefore the system won't bother using it
until you're ready.