Please Help - Logon password required after installing cri..

I am using XP professional and cannot logon anymore since automatic update
has installed some critical updates. After booting successfully the system is
asking me for a password, although I have never specified one!How can this
happen?

I am the only user and have tried several passwords including username.
leaving blank ect. but have no idea what it could be. After a few attempts it
comes up with the following error message:

The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The program issued
a command but the command lenght is incorrect. Please try again or consult
your system administrator.

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks
Reino
7 answers Last reply
More about please logon password required installing

    Use your TAB key and tab the cursor through the password
    request box, then hit enter.

    You can use the following steps to enable automatic logon:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
    3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
    and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

    How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Reino" wrote:

    | I am using XP professional and cannot logon anymore since automatic update
    | has installed some critical updates. After booting successfully the system is
    | asking me for a password, although I have never specified one!How can this
    | happen?
    |
    | I am the only user and have tried several passwords including username.
    | leaving blank ect. but have no idea what it could be. After a few attempts it
    | comes up with the following error message:
    |
    | The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The program issued
    | a command but the command lenght is incorrect. Please try again or consult
    | your system administrator.
    |
    | Can anybody help me please?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Reino

    Reino i currently have the exact same problem as you.
    How can it add a password when i have never used one before and am the only
    user??
    Tried the option by Carey to tab past and then enter but that doesnt work.
    I have even tried the free software which most people recommend to solve the
    problem http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ but even that doesnt work
    for me
    If you solve the problem PLEASE let me know asap
    thanks
    james

    "Reino" wrote:

    > I am using XP professional and cannot logon anymore since automatic update
    > has installed some critical updates. After booting successfully the system is
    > asking me for a password, although I have never specified one!How can this
    > happen?
    >
    > I am the only user and have tried several passwords including username.
    > leaving blank ect. but have no idea what it could be. After a few attempts it
    > comes up with the following error message:
    >
    > The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The program issued
    > a command but the command lenght is incorrect. Please try again or consult
    > your system administrator.
    >
    > Can anybody help me please?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Reino

    Hi james,

    have solved the problem, nothing helped then I had an idea and tried it the
    easy way:

    press F8 during rebooting your machine until it comes up with some options
    (Safe Mode ect. ect.) and choose the following:

    start windows with the last known good configuration

    it will start up normally now, without asking you for a password because it
    remembers the windows configuration from before you have installed your
    critical updates which have caused this problem.......so its excluding them
    automatically.

    Just make sure, that you dont install them again and deactivate the
    automatic update or follow instructions for automatic logon.

    Reinho9ld

    "James" wrote:

    > Reino i currently have the exact same problem as you.
    > How can it add a password when i have never used one before and am the only
    > user??
    > Tried the option by Carey to tab past and then enter but that doesnt work.
    > I have even tried the free software which most people recommend to solve the
    > problem http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ but even that doesnt work
    > for me
    > If you solve the problem PLEASE let me know asap
    > thanks
    > james
    >
    > "Reino" wrote:
    >
    > > I am using XP professional and cannot logon anymore since automatic update
    > > has installed some critical updates. After booting successfully the system is
    > > asking me for a password, although I have never specified one!How can this
    > > happen?
    > >
    > > I am the only user and have tried several passwords including username.
    > > leaving blank ect. but have no idea what it could be. After a few attempts it
    > > comes up with the following error message:
    > >
    > > The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The program issued
    > > a command but the command lenght is incorrect. Please try again or consult
    > > your system administrator.
    > >
    > > Can anybody help me please?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Reino

    THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH

    Your a life saver!!

    "Reino" wrote:

    > Hi james,
    >
    > have solved the problem, nothing helped then I had an idea and tried it the
    > easy way:
    >
    > press F8 during rebooting your machine until it comes up with some options
    > (Safe Mode ect. ect.) and choose the following:
    >
    > start windows with the last known good configuration
    >
    > it will start up normally now, without asking you for a password because it
    > remembers the windows configuration from before you have installed your
    > critical updates which have caused this problem.......so its excluding them
    > automatically.
    >
    > Just make sure, that you dont install them again and deactivate the
    > automatic update or follow instructions for automatic logon.
    >
    > Reinho9ld
    >

    > "James" wrote:
    >
    > > Reino i currently have the exact same problem as you.
    > > How can it add a password when i have never used one before and am the only
    > > user??
    > > Tried the option by Carey to tab past and then enter but that doesnt work.
    > > I have even tried the free software which most people recommend to solve the
    > > problem http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ but even that doesnt work
    > > for me
    > > If you solve the problem PLEASE let me know asap
    > > thanks
    > > james
    > >
    > > "Reino" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am using XP professional and cannot logon anymore since automatic update
    > > > has installed some critical updates. After booting successfully the system is
    > > > asking me for a password, although I have never specified one!How can this
    > > > happen?
    > > >
    > > > I am the only user and have tried several passwords including username.
    > > > leaving blank ect. but have no idea what it could be. After a few attempts it
    > > > comes up with the following error message:
    > > >
    > > > The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The program issued
    > > > a command but the command lenght is incorrect. Please try again or consult
    > > > your system administrator.
    > > >
    > > > Can anybody help me please?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Reino

    Hi Reino,
    did you try logging on in Safe Mode ?
    Try using administrator account.

    For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
    --
    Best Regards,
    Matija Hrovat

    "Reino" <Reino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using XP professional and cannot logon anymore since automatic update
    > has installed some critical updates. After booting successfully the system
    > is
    > asking me for a password, although I have never specified one!How can this
    > happen?
    >
    > I am the only user and have tried several passwords including username.
    > leaving blank ect. but have no idea what it could be. After a few attempts
    > it
    > comes up with the following error message:
    >
    > The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The program
    > issued
    > a command but the command lenght is incorrect. Please try again or consult
    > your system administrator.
    >
    > Can anybody help me please?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Reino

    It's just surprised me that this is not a common error, and even hardly
    find in MS website itself.

    I had just experienced this error couple hours ago, it's just because
    the MS Windows Updated, it asked me to restart once it's already
    installed.

    Once I restarted it, it keeps saying what you guys got! How to solve
    it? use F8 and then select the option for last good know
    configuration. That's all, now I shutdown the automatics update
    already. So, everything it's okie now!

    Good luck and hope MS will have the offically answer for us!

    Cheers,

    --
    IISIX

    Thanks guys , this problem solving help me solve a problem very quicly,
    thanks

    IISIX wrote:
    > It's just surprised me that this is not a common error, and even
    hardly
    > find in MS website itself.
    >
    > I had just experienced this error couple hours ago, it's just because
    > the MS Windows Updated, it asked me to restart once it's already
    > installed.
    >
    > Once I restarted it, it keeps saying what you guys got! How to solve
    > it? use F8 and then select the option for last good know
    > configuration. That's all, now I shutdown the automatics update
    > already. So, everything it's okie now!
    >
    > Good luck and hope MS will have the offically answer for us!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >

    > --
    > IISIX

Windows XP