IE opens unwanted windows of advertising

Since I reformatted my main computer every time any user logs onto IE
(running XP Pro SP2) there are several windows that automaticaly open in the
background, slowing the computer down tremendously and displaying some
awkward material for the children. It always seem to be the same sites doing
it as well.
I already have the popup-blocker setting to high and no sites are added to
the list. But what causes these windows to appear. I cannot let my children
on the pc without being shon some unsollicited material!

Download Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

Consider installing a first-rate internet security program.

Norton Internet Security 2005
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

-- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2005
-- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
-- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
-- Includes Parental Controls
-- All in one, easy-to-install package

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Fabian" wrote:

| Since I reformatted my main computer every time any user logs onto IE
| (running XP Pro SP2) there are several windows that automaticaly open in the
| background, slowing the computer down tremendously and displaying some
| awkward material for the children. It always seem to be the same sites doing
| it as well.
| I already have the popup-blocker setting to high and no sites are added to
| the list. But what causes these windows to appear. I cannot let my children
| on the pc without being shon some unsollicited material!

1) Download the following three items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend Pattern File.

Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Dowload the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt307.zip

sysclean.com.

2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
3) Disable System Restore
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
(e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
8) Reboot your PC.
9) Create a new Restore point

* * * Please report your results ! * * *

Dave

"Fabian" <Fabian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Since I reformatted my main computer every time any user logs onto IE
| (running XP Pro SP2) there are several windows that automaticaly open in the
| background, slowing the computer down tremendously and displaying some
| awkward material for the children. It always seem to be the same sites doing
| it as well.
| I already have the popup-blocker setting to high and no sites are added to
| the list. But what causes these windows to appear. I cannot let my children
| on the pc without being shon some unsollicited material!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:17:01 -0800, Fabian

>Since I reformatted my main computer

What was the reason for doing that?

>every time any user logs onto IE (running XP Pro SP2)
>there are several windows that automaticaly open in the
>background, slowing the computer down tremendously

You'd expect SP2 to be patched up, but you may have had subsequent
patches before, that were lost when you "just re-installed".

>and displaying some awkward material for the children.
>It always seem to be the same sites doing it as well.

Did you restore "data" after the rebuild? MS's "places" awareness is
weak on separating incoming risky material from data, so you may well
have restored some bad stuff. Or, you are simply being re-attacked as
before, or getting the same commercial malware after installing the
same bad software, etc. You need to tshoot this, not 'mat it away.

>I already have the popup-blocker setting to high and no sites are added to
>the list. But what causes these windows to appear. I cannot let my children
>on the pc without being shon some unsollicited material!

Work-in-progress and thus FWIW:

http://cquirke.mvps.org/cleanup.txt

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Never turn your back on an installer program

Consider creating an account or two without local Administrative rights for
signing on to the system e.g. set them up as "Restricted user" *. This is
the first
most important step (often overooked unfortunately) to take in order to limit
access rights to the system, which typical web browing does not need.

More info: by default, an additional account (user specified) with local
administrative rights must be created when Win XP is initially setup. These
accounts must be password protected, and used sparingly (e.g. only for
administrative tasks) *.

* Control Panel > User Accounts.

"Fabian" wrote:

> Since I reformatted my main computer every time any user logs onto IE
> (running XP Pro SP2) there are several windows that automaticaly open in the
> background, slowing the computer down tremendously and displaying some
> awkward material for the children. It always seem to be the same sites doing
> it as well.
> I already have the popup-blocker setting to high and no sites are added to
> the list. But what causes these windows to appear. I cannot let my children
> on the pc without being shon some unsollicited material!

TRENDING THREADS