9800 Pro: heatsink alternatives

I've decided I'm not going to chance frying my 9800 Pro. I've already seen some
overheating problems (on the first day the ambient temp got above 80 degrees
farenheit). What are some good, bolt-on, alternative heatsink solutions for the
9800 Pro?

What would happen if I were to remove the shim and (using arctic silver
adhesive) directly attach the heatsink to the die? Would that improve the
cooling? Is it too risky?

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message

" What are some good, bolt-on, alternative heatsink solutions for the 9800
Pro? "

The Arctic cooling VGA Silencer has a lot of happy 9800 Pro customers.

Product: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/
Review:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_vga_silencer.php

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

> I've decided I'm not going to chance frying my 9800 Pro. I've already seen
some
> overheating problems (on the first day the ambient temp got above 80
degrees
> farenheit). What are some good, bolt-on, alternative heatsink solutions
for the
> 9800 Pro?
>
> What would happen if I were to remove the shim and (using arctic silver
> adhesive) directly attach the heatsink to the die? Would that improve the
> cooling? Is it too risky?
> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

I've got a Zalman ZM80C with the ZM01 optional fan on my Hercules 9800 Pro.
Very quiet, but not sure about the temps - I've had no problems mind. I
assume this hulking beast is a little more effective than the stock cooler.

Check out my earlier post for my installation experience: -

http://tinyurl.com/34wtd

Ted.