Still cannot stop Windows "Notebook" from vanishing ... HE..

Hi,

Have loaded, and executed both "Ad-Aware" pop-up stopper, and "SpyBot"
software, and many operations on my computer have indeed improved since then,
so that was a good thing finally.

But my Window Notebook program insists on doing that spooky disappearing act
... (and always at the worst time!)

It keeps shutting down ... is there anything else I can do? I need to use
the program for certain things (html code).

Is there something in a set-up file ... a bat file ... a ini file or
anything i can go in and tinker with to "shore" up Notebook so it's not
vulnerable to whatever's making this happen?

Thanks, appreciate it ... sure stumped with this ...

--
Michael
10 answers Last reply

    Michael wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have loaded, and executed both "Ad-Aware" pop-up stopper, and "SpyBot"
    > software, and many operations on my computer have indeed improved
    > since then, so that was a good thing finally.
    >
    > But my Window Notebook program insists on doing that spooky
    > disappearing act .. (and always at the worst time!)
    >
    > It keeps shutting down ... is there anything else I can do? I need to
    > use the program for certain things (html code).
    >
    > Is there something in a set-up file ... a bat file ... a ini file or
    > anything i can go in and tinker with to "shore" up Notebook so it's
    > not vulnerable to whatever's making this happen?
    >
    > Thanks, appreciate it ... sure stumped with this ...

    I'm not sure what program "Notebook" is (do you mean "Notepad"?), but
    what does a scan with a current antivirus using updated definitions
    show? Do the scan in Safe Mode.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Oh, what am I saying !! Yes, I meant "Notepad" ... sorry 'bout that ..
    (yeah, I can type ...)

    Yes, my notepad keeps crashing.

    My current weekly scans with my Norton Antivirus have come up "clean" ... or
    what they say on the screen: .. nothing found ...:

    I am a subscriber to Norton's updates, so I get everything they send right
    away, but anyhow, they scans reveal nothing.

    Now what's this about "Safe Mode"? Is there some other state my system must
    be placed in to truly quarantine virus stuff?

    Thanks, Michael

    Michael wrote:

    > Oh, what am I saying !! Yes, I meant "Notepad" ... sorry 'bout that ..
    > (yeah, I can type ...)
    >
    > Yes, my notepad keeps crashing.
    >
    > My current weekly scans with my Norton Antivirus have come up "clean"
    > ... or what they say on the screen: .. nothing found ...:
    >
    > I am a subscriber to Norton's updates, so I get everything they send
    > right away, but anyhow, they scans reveal nothing.
    >
    > Now what's this about "Safe Mode"? Is there some other state my system
    > must be placed in to truly quarantine virus stuff?

    Safe Mode is a special diagnostic mode that loads only the basic drivers
    and software. The reason for running antivirus scans and anti-spyware
    tools in Safe Mode is because the malware is probably running in
    Regular Mode. You can't delete a file in use. Some malware will run in
    Safe Mode, but most will not and so you can kill it.

    To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as your computer is
    starting up. This will get you to the right menu. After you've run your
    scans, rebooting will take you back to Regular Mode.

    To address the problem with Notepad - you apparently had a lot of
    malware. You might want to run the System File Checker which will
    replace damaged system files, including Notepad. Do this (Regular Mode
    is fine) by going to Start>Run and typing

    sfc /scannow [enter]

    Note that there is a space between "sfc" and "/scannow". You may need to
    have your XP cd handy.

    Or try replacing Notepad.exe by as follows:

    From information by MVP Patti McLeod:

    1) See if you have a copy of Notepad.exe in C:\Windows\System32 or C
    \Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386 and if so, copy the file to C:\Windows;

    OR

    2) Expand a copy of notepad.exe to C:\Windows\System32 by doing the
    following:

    Have the XP install CD in the CDROM drive. Go to Start>Run and type
    "cmd" without the quotes, Enter. In the command prompt window, type:

    expand X:\i386\notepad.ex_ c:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe (where you
    will replace the X with the actual drive letter designation for your
    CDROM drive) Then press Enter.

    3)Exit the command prompt window by typing "exit", then press Enter.

    HTH,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    Oh wow, great info; I'll try that. Thanks!

    (though my Ad-Aware is crashing now ...? but that's anther help post I'll do
    sometime ... )

    Thanks

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Michael wrote:
    >
    > > Oh, what am I saying !! Yes, I meant "Notepad" ... sorry 'bout that ..
    > > (yeah, I can type ...)
    > >
    > > Yes, my notepad keeps crashing.
    > >
    > > My current weekly scans with my Norton Antivirus have come up "clean"
    > > ... or what they say on the screen: .. nothing found ...:
    > >
    > > I am a subscriber to Norton's updates, so I get everything they send
    > > right away, but anyhow, they scans reveal nothing.
    > >
    > > Now what's this about "Safe Mode"? Is there some other state my system
    > > must be placed in to truly quarantine virus stuff?
    > >
    > Safe Mode is a special diagnostic mode that loads only the basic drivers
    > and software. The reason for running antivirus scans and anti-spyware
    > tools in Safe Mode is because the malware is probably running in
    > Regular Mode. You can't delete a file in use. Some malware will run in
    > Safe Mode, but most will not and so you can kill it.
    >
    > To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as your computer is
    > starting up. This will get you to the right menu. After you've run your
    > scans, rebooting will take you back to Regular Mode.
    >
    > To address the problem with Notepad - you apparently had a lot of
    > malware. You might want to run the System File Checker which will
    > replace damaged system files, including Notepad. Do this (Regular Mode
    > is fine) by going to Start>Run and typing
    >
    > sfc /scannow [enter]
    >
    > Note that there is a space between "sfc" and "/scannow". You may need to
    > have your XP cd handy.
    >
    > Or try replacing Notepad.exe by as follows:
    >
    > From information by MVP Patti McLeod:
    >
    > 1) See if you have a copy of Notepad.exe in C:\Windows\System32 or C
    > \Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386 and if so, copy the file to C:\Windows;
    >
    > OR
    >
    > 2) Expand a copy of notepad.exe to C:\Windows\System32 by doing the
    > following:
    >
    > Have the XP install CD in the CDROM drive. Go to Start>Run and type
    > "cmd" without the quotes, Enter. In the command prompt window, type:
    >
    > expand X:\i386\notepad.ex_ c:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe (where you
    > will replace the X with the actual drive letter designation for your
    > CDROM drive) Then press Enter.
    >
    > 3)Exit the command prompt window by typing "exit", then press Enter.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    Ok, not such good news here ...

    I did all the scans and anti-virus stuff in Safe Mode; I also copied the
    notepad file from my System32 directory to C:\Windows; and after that showed
    little improvement, I went ahead and obtained the appropriate notepad file
    from my Windows XP install disk and had that file run from my CD-ROM drive.

    I still have the disappearing notepad problem, not to mention incessant
    pop-up stuff when I enter IE, though I could probably live with that ... it's
    the issue with notepad I really need fixed.

    Oh, by the way, the first thing I did was that sfc /scannow suggestion.

    It's a fairly new computer, so I'd be surprised if I had to overhaul
    something in the hardware. Though, if that's what it takes ...

    Is there something you can recommend that I can have done to my computer to
    get it usable again?

    I run Windows XP home;
    am on DSL;
    am a subscriber to Norton anti-virus;
    never, positively NEVER open suspicious emails or attachments.

    Thanks, hope you'll be able to suggest some ideas ...

    Thanks Much, Michael

    Michael wrote:

    > Ok, not such good news here ...
    >
    > I did all the scans and anti-virus stuff in Safe Mode; I also copied
    > the notepad file from my System32 directory to C:\Windows; and after
    > that showed little improvement, I went ahead and obtained the
    > appropriate notepad file from my Windows XP install disk and had that
    > file run from my CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > I still have the disappearing notepad problem, not to mention
    > incessant pop-up stuff when I enter IE, though I could probably live
    > with that ... it's the issue with notepad I really need fixed.
    >
    > Oh, by the way, the first thing I did was that sfc /scannow
    > suggestion.
    >
    > It's a fairly new computer, so I'd be surprised if I had to overhaul
    > something in the hardware. Though, if that's what it takes ...
    >
    > Is there something you can recommend that I can have done to my
    > computer to get it usable again?
    >
    > I run Windows XP home;
    > am on DSL;
    > am a subscriber to Norton anti-virus;
    > never, positively NEVER open suspicious emails or attachments.

    If you are still getting popups in IE, that is a sure sign your computer
    is not completely clean of malware. Even though you have already done
    some scanning, go through the following removal steps. Do all steps
    with updated tools in Safe Mode. In one of your posts you mentioned
    having a popup stopper. Check Eric Howes' rogue antispyware spyware
    warrior site (in the links after the steps) to make sure you haven't
    inadvertently invited betrayalware into your computer.

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

    General:
    http://forum.aumha.org/ - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    I have to agree with Malke. While it's very noble of you to think that you
    can live with "incessant pop-up stuff ," that's a symptom that your
    computer's still seriously disturbed. Get this fixed first.

    --
    Bob McCoy
    * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

    "Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).
    >
    > HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    > it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    > of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    > homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    > help with it.
    >
    > 3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    > Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    > must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    > the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    > Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).
    >
    > 4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    > patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    Hi again; thanks much for the helpful recommendations.

    I went ahead and did all those steps in Safe Mode (sfc /scannow; search and
    destroy with updated info using Spybot; Ad-aware's full system scan, which I
    then direct to remove and quarantine; I've also done the immunization step;
    I've checked Windows update-nothing presently for me; and my Norton updates
    are present.

    Oh, I've also done the Run>cleanmgr system restore step you mentioned.

    About the only thing I haven't done is give the system a flu-shot.

    I'm still experiencing the vanishing Notepad thing, not to mention incessant
    pop-up stuff.

    Might all of my steps simply be inadequate, and hence, I must use something
    else?
    I haven't begun to look at the "Hijack" tool you aluded to.

    Do I need new hardware possibly?

    I guess I'm looking at that extensive list of links you furnished, and geez,
    sure looks bewildering ...

    Well, hope the information feedback I've left can suggest a possible
    solution that we can narrow down to a few less steps ... if possible?

    again, really any [additional] light you can shed on the problem.

    As far as I know, I have firewall(s) set up ... (why wouldn't I?)

    Thanks, Michael

    Michael wrote:

    > Hi again; thanks much for the helpful recommendations.
    >
    > I went ahead and did all those steps in Safe Mode (sfc /scannow;
    > search and destroy with updated info using Spybot; Ad-aware's full
    > system scan, which I then direct to remove and quarantine; I've also
    > done the immunization step; I've checked Windows update-nothing
    > presently for me; and my Norton updates are present.
    >
    > Oh, I've also done the Run>cleanmgr system restore step you mentioned.
    >
    > About the only thing I haven't done is give the system a flu-shot.
    >
    > I'm still experiencing the vanishing Notepad thing, not to mention
    > incessant pop-up stuff.
    >
    > Might all of my steps simply be inadequate, and hence, I must use
    > something else?
    > I haven't begun to look at the "Hijack" tool you aluded to.
    >
    > Do I need new hardware possibly?
    >
    > I guess I'm looking at that extensive list of links you furnished, and
    > geez, sure looks bewildering ...

    OK, if it all looks bewildering, that's a good hint to take the machine
    to a local computer professional - not a BestBuy or CompUSA type of
    store - because there's *something* running on your machine that is
    interfering with its proper operation. If it were hardware, you'd have
    more than just Notepad disappearing. If you still want to fight the
    good fight yourself, here are two suggestions:

    1. Run HijackThis and post your logs in one of these forums (and please
    read the HJT tutorial first - this is an expert tool).

    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

    If you want to reassure yourself about the hardware, then do these two
    tests:

    1. Test the RAM with Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Create either a
    bootable floppy or bootable cd and boot with it. The test will run
    immediately. Allow it to run for a while - at least an hour - unless
    you get errors immediately. If you get errors, replace the RAM.

    2. Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility downloaded from the
    drive mftr.'s website. Usually you make a bootable floppy and boot with
    it. Run a thorough test.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Gulp!

    Whew, thanks for that rather ominous prognosis ... yikes, that's like
    learning my pet hampster has a tumor or something ...

    Hmm, I bought my system at CompUSA recently ... wouldn't they be
    knowledgeable about this Compaq to clean it up for me?

    In the meantime, I've started some dialogue in another Windows newsgroup
    asking for recommendations for some kind of suitable substitue for my Notepad
    program
    just so I can write html text without the thing closing on me .... am
    getting some ideas ...

    Geez, thanks for all the help .. wish we could've solved the riddle .... I
    even tried very strong coffee a couple of times ... that didn't help ...

    Michael

Notebooks Microsoft Windows XP