Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IE gives "Fire Download - Security Warning" prompt for my ..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 19, 2004 2:15:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

This is a new one. Perhaps an SP2 change.
Local intranet zone.
Security set to low.
All download options set to "enable".
I have local web pages, served by a server in the local network.
They organize my mp3 files.
Click on a link and get the security warning popup.
How do I disable this behavior?
For now I must use Netscape or Firefox, they work fine.

--

... Hank

http://horedson.home.att.net
http://w0rli.home.att.net
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 19, 2004 11:24:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hank Oredson wrote:

> This is a new one. Perhaps an SP2 change.
> Local intranet zone.
> Security set to low.
> All download options set to "enable".
> I have local web pages, served by a server in the local network.
> They organize my mp3 files.
> Click on a link and get the security warning popup.
> How do I disable this behavior?
> For now I must use Netscape or Firefox, they work fine.
>
Hi

Try this:

In the 'Internet Options', select the Advanced tab.

Under Security, enable
"Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"

If the above is of no help:

Adding "Mark of the Web" to your html files may help:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=O0c4HUVoEHA.692%40...



--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 19, 2004 11:24:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
news:eR37sBg5EHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hank Oredson wrote:
>
>> This is a new one. Perhaps an SP2 change.
>> Local intranet zone.
>> Security set to low.
>> All download options set to "enable".
>> I have local web pages, served by a server in the local network.
>> They organize my mp3 files.
>> Click on a link and get the security warning popup.
>> How do I disable this behavior?
>> For now I must use Netscape or Firefox, they work fine.
>>
> Hi
>
> Try this:
>
> In the 'Internet Options', select the Advanced tab.
>
> Under Security, enable
> "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"

That one was enabled.

> If the above is of no help:
>
> Adding "Mark of the Web" to your html files may help:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=O0c4HUVoEHA.692%40...

These files are served by Apache running on the same machine,
or on a different machine within the intranet. i.e. they are not loaded
from the file system. They work fine if I do a File -> Open directly
from the file system, whether "Allow active content ..." is checked
or not.

The problem also occurs for midi files and wma files.
I play these via Winamp and do not use Windows Media Player.

Set up another machine to use Windows Media Player, and the
problem does not occur. So it seems to be related specifically
to download vs. display (or play). Next test was to remove mp3
from WinAmp's list of file types on this machine. Now IE will
play the file without a prompt ... using Windows Media Player
as expected. What I will do next is poke around in the registry
to see what keys are lurking there related to the mp3 file type ;-)

Thanks for your very quick response!

--

... Hank

http://horedson.home.att.net
http://w0rli.home.att.net
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 19, 2004 11:24:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Hank Oredson" <horedson@att.net> wrote in message
news:o 7687Ug5EHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> news:eR37sBg5EHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hank Oredson wrote:
>>
>>> This is a new one. Perhaps an SP2 change.
>>> Local intranet zone.
>>> Security set to low.
>>> All download options set to "enable".
>>> I have local web pages, served by a server in the local network.
>>> They organize my mp3 files.
>>> Click on a link and get the security warning popup.
>>> How do I disable this behavior?
>>> For now I must use Netscape or Firefox, they work fine.
>>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> In the 'Internet Options', select the Advanced tab.
>>
>> Under Security, enable
>> "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"
>
> That one was enabled.
>
>> If the above is of no help:
>>
>> Adding "Mark of the Web" to your html files may help:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=O0c4HUVoEHA.692%40...
>
> These files are served by Apache running on the same machine,
> or on a different machine within the intranet. i.e. they are not loaded
> from the file system. They work fine if I do a File -> Open directly
> from the file system, whether "Allow active content ..." is checked
> or not.
>
> The problem also occurs for midi files and wma files.
> I play these via Winamp and do not use Windows Media Player.
>
> Set up another machine to use Windows Media Player, and the
> problem does not occur. So it seems to be related specifically
> to download vs. display (or play). Next test was to remove mp3
> from WinAmp's list of file types on this machine. Now IE will
> play the file without a prompt ... using Windows Media Player
> as expected. What I will do next is poke around in the registry
> to see what keys are lurking there related to the mp3 file type ;-)
>
> Thanks for your very quick response!


One more data point: I can set Netscape to specifically use WinAmp
to display audio/mpeg and audio/midi and that will override the default
use of Windows Media Player.

--

... Hank

http://horedson.home.att.net
http://w0rli.home.att.net
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 3:58:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Hank Oredson" <horedson@att.net> wrote in message
news:o TPgP8f5EHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> This is a new one. Perhaps an SP2 change.
> Local intranet zone.
> Security set to low.
> All download options set to "enable".
> I have local web pages, served by a server in the local network.
> They organize my mp3 files.
> Click on a link and get the security warning popup.
> How do I disable this behavior?
> For now I must use Netscape or Firefox, they work fine.


Still no idea on how to solve this.
Perhaps I need to open a ticket with MS Support?

--

... Hank

http://horedson.home.att.net
http://w0rli.home.att.net
!