Cat 4.4 have broken my 9600XT

Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
.... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.

Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.

Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.

Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
Anyone else having similar problems?

regards

@ndrew
35 answers Last reply
More about broken 9600xt

    Sometime on, or about 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, @ndrew scribbled:

    > Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
    > ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
    >
    > Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
    > settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
    > locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
    > again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
    > give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
    > fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
    >
    > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
    >
    > Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
    > Anyone else having similar problems?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

    I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn it off
    in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed if you do.

    Sam

    On 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, "@ndrew"
    <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:

    >Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    >Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.

    So the title of your post was completely misleading then.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

    "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    > Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
    > ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
    >
    > Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
    > settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
    > locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
    > again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
    > give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
    > fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
    >
    > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
    >
    > Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
    > Anyone else having similar problems?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

    4.4s working fine here with 9600XT and FW disabled even though I thought
    with the newer Omegas you COULD have FW enabled. At least that's what the
    info on them has reported on the website.

    "Sam" <srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> wrote in message
    > Sometime on, or about 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, @ndrew scribbled:
    >
    > > Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
    > > ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
    > >
    > > Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
    > > settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
    > > locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
    > > again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
    > > give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
    > > fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
    > >
    > > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    > > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
    > >
    > > Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
    > > Anyone else having similar problems?
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > @ndrew
    >
    > I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn it off
    > in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed if you do.

    You heard wrong.

    > Sam

    Works fine with my 9600XT. I never disabled anything and it is working
    great.
    Mine is a Saphire 9600XT with 256ram, though.
    Don't know if that would make any difference.

    "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message

    > "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    > > Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
    > > ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
    > >
    > > Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
    > > settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
    > > locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
    > > again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
    > > give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
    > > fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
    > >
    > > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    > > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
    > >
    > > Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
    > > Anyone else having similar problems?
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > @ndrew
    >
    > 4.4s working fine here with 9600XT and FW disabled even though I thought
    > with the newer Omegas you COULD have FW enabled. At least that's what the
    > info on them has reported on the website.

    Sometime on, or about Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:09:54 -0400, JTS scribbled:

    > "Sam" <srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> wrote in message
    >> Sometime on, or about 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, @ndrew scribbled:
    >>
    >>> Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
    >>> ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
    >>>
    >>> Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
    >>> settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
    >>> locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
    >>> again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
    >>> give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
    >>> fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
    >>>
    >>> Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    >>> Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
    >>>
    >>> Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
    >>> Anyone else having similar problems?
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> @ndrew
    >>
    >> I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn it off
    >> in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed if you do.
    >
    > You heard wrong.

    This information came with the Omega drivers which I installed. I guess
    they don't know what they're talking about.

    Sam

    Andrew wrote:

    > On 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, "@ndrew"
    > <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:
    >
    > > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    > > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
    >
    > So the title of your post was completely misleading then.

    No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.

    regards

    @ndrew

    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    > > On 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, "@ndrew"
    > > <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    > > > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
    > >
    > > So the title of your post was completely misleading then.
    >

    > No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

    4.4's are working fine with my Sapphire 9600Pro with fast-writes on (tested
    only on Far Cry so far tho) - sorry no solution to your prob I'm afraid just
    FYI. Shaun

    On 11 Apr 2004 01:57:32 +0950, "@ndrew"
    <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:

    >No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.

    Then there is an incompatibility. Nothing is "broken".

    Sam wrote:

    > I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn
    > it off in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed
    > if you do.

    Thanks Sam .. the 9600s are actually the exception to the rule .. fast
    writes are meant to be turned on with these cards. Regardless I did
    the switch off and on in bios and within the 4.4s ... did not work o(

    regards

    @ndrew

    On 11 Apr 2004 01:59:26 +0950, "@ndrew"
    <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:

    >Sam wrote:
    >

    >> I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn
    >> it off in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed
    >> if you do.
    >>

    >Thanks Sam .. the 9600s are actually the exception to the rule .. fast
    >writes are meant to be turned on with these cards. Regardless I did
    >the switch off and on in bios and within the 4.4s ... did not work o(
    >
    >regards
    >
    >@ndrew

    What "rule"? Ive got the ATI 9800XT 256 with fast writes on and
    never a prob. I think its more of an issue with some m/b chipsets than
    the vid card themselves.

    Striker wrote:

    > > 4.4s working fine here with 9600XT and FW disabled even though I
    > > thought with the newer Omegas you COULD have FW enabled. At least
    > > that's what the info on them has reported on the website.

    So is mine (Sapphire 9600XT 256 Mb) must be an issue with Everquest
    then ... will do some tests on other applications.

    The system I am running this cards on is:

    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Barton 2600+
    1Gb DDR 400

    Nothing is overclocked.

    Andrew wrote:

    > On 11 Apr 2004 01:57:32 +0950, "@ndrew"
    > <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:
    >
    > > No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.
    >
    > Then there is an incompatibility. Nothing is "broken".

    Definition
    broken (DAMAGED) [Show phonetics] <define.asp?dict=CALD&key=9830&ph=on>
    adjective
    1 damaged, no longer able to work:
    He attacked the man with a broken bottle.
    My watch is broken.
    Careful - there's broken glass on the floor.

    2 [before noun] suffering emotional pain so great that it changes the
    way you live, usually as a result of an unpleasant event:
    He was a broken man after his wife died.

    (from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
    <http://dictionary.cambridge.org/cald>)

    It is broken with the Cat 4.4s ... does not work (in fact locks the
    screen forcing a hard reboot in Everquest) Will test other applications
    when I get time.

    regards

    @ndrew
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    > > On 11 Apr 2004 01:57:32 +0950, "@ndrew"
    > > <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:
    > >
    > > > No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.
    > >
    > > Then there is an incompatibility. Nothing is "broken".
    >
    > Definition
    > broken (DAMAGED) [Show phonetics] <define.asp?dict=CALD&key=9830&ph=on>
    > adjective
    > 1 damaged, no longer able to work:
    > He attacked the man with a broken bottle.
    > My watch is broken.
    > Careful - there's broken glass on the floor.
    >
    > 2 [before noun] suffering emotional pain so great that it changes the
    > way you live, usually as a result of an unpleasant event:
    > He was a broken man after his wife died.
    >
    > (from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
    > <http://dictionary.cambridge.org/cald>)
    >
    > It is broken with the Cat 4.4s ... does not work (in fact locks the
    > screen forcing a hard reboot in Everquest) Will test other applications
    > when I get time.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

    I think he's trying to say that the card may work fine in another system
    with different drivers. The connotation you're implying is that the card is
    defective and will not work in any system. Is that what you intended?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I am running an ATI9600XT on Asus A7N8X-Deluxe rev 2.0,768 OCZ PC3200,AMD
    Barton 2500 200x11..am running the latest Omegas and all is
    good...FarCry,COD..MOHAA..so must be an issue..also F/W Enabled
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    in the BIOS of the M/B....make sure you have spread spectrums disabled..and
    FSB at 100%..meaning to run your PC3200 at same speed as processor
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Ron wrote:

    > I think he's trying to say that the card may work fine in another
    > system with different drivers. The connotation you're implying is
    > that the card is defective and will not work in any system. Is that
    > what you intended?

    The connotation I meant was that the 4.4 Cats had broken this card on
    my system ... it locks hard (and I do mean hard even control-alt-delete
    will not reset only a hard reset works). The card hardware is not
    broken but the Cat 4.4s are for me with this card.

    It is working fine with the 4.2s but not still with the 4.4s. Have
    done some more testing today with the 4.4s ... locks hard with Aquamark
    (so under graphics stress).

    My system is:

    Barton 2600+
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    1 GB DDR 400

    As I have said my other system is working fine with the Cat 4.4s:

    P4 3Ghz
    Abit IC7-G
    1GB DDR 400
    Sapphire Radeon Pro 128

    regards

    @ndrew
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > The connotation I meant was that the 4.4 Cats had broken this card on
    > my system ... it locks hard (and I do mean hard even control-alt-delete
    > will not reset only a hard reset works). The card hardware is not
    > broken but the Cat 4.4s are for me with this card.

    You can't describe something as broken if it is not broken. Your system was
    broken, and you fixed it by reverting to 4.2.
    If your card was broken, then you would have had to fix the card, which you
    clearly did not do.

    Your attention grabbing title should have read "Cat 4.4 locks up my 9600XT"
    By following Usenet etiquette, you can direct peoples' time and resources
    more effectively.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    dino wrote:

    > in the BIOS of the M/B....make sure you have spread spectrums
    > disabled..and FSB at 100%..meaning to run your PC3200 at same speed
    > as processor

    It is thanks Dino ... must be Everquest and Aquamark .. have you run
    either of these?

    regards

    @ndrew
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    just ran Aqumark...no problems what so ever..lock your AGP frequency..run
    memtest86 on your memory and see if there is an issue that way that might be
    cropping up
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Chocolate wrote:

    > You can't describe something as broken if it is not broken. Your
    > system was broken, and you fixed it by reverting to 4.2.
    > If your card was broken, then you would have had to fix the card,
    > which you clearly did not do.

    I did fix the card by reverting drivers ... since it did not work in
    the 4.4s as I wanted it to .. it was broken ie unusable for me with the
    drivers.

    > Your attention grabbing title should have read "Cat 4.4 locks up my
    > 9600XT" By following Usenet etiquette, you can direct peoples' time
    > and resources more effectively.

    Do not tell me what to post on usenet and I won't tell you what to
    post.

    I will post what I want and the title was quite right my card was
    broken, unusable with the prgrams I wanted to use, with the 4.4s.

    regards

    @ndrew
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    dino wrote:

    > just ran Aqumark...no problems what so ever..lock your AGP
    > frequency..run memtest86 on your memory and see if there is an issue
    > that way that might be cropping up

    Have always locked the frequency and Memtest is fine .. weird o(

    regards

    @ndrew
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    the only difference so far I can see..is that I am running the Omega's
    instead of the actual ATI
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Using your stupid logic, a motor vehicle would be 'broken' if a child kept
    stalling the engine.

    Your post to alt.autos would be "5 year old boy has broken my Chevy"
    You would then go on to explain how you 'fixed' the vehicle by getting an
    experienced driver to drive it.

    And yes, everyone would be laughing at you in that newgroup as well.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    the childish behaviour in these news groups is incredible..so he worded it
    wrong..big deal
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
    > ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
    >
    > Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
    > settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
    > locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
    > again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
    > give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
    > fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
    >
    > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
    > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
    >
    > Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
    > Anyone else having similar problems?

    Do I understand it correctly, that you have installed the 4.4 directly after
    4.2, leaving 4.3 out ? Did you completely uninstall and clean the 4.2 out
    before installing the 4.4 ? I use the Omega drivers, and usually you could
    install a new one right on top of the previous. The 4.2 based one was an
    exception. 4.3 didn't work on my 9600 XT until I had cleaned 4.2 out
    completely. 4.4 went on top of 4.3 with no problems again.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    dino wrote:

    > the only difference so far I can see..is that I am running the Omega's
    > instead of the actual ATI

    I will give the Omegas a go ... it may be Everquest but I can't explain
    Aquamark.

    regards

    @ndrew
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
    > the childish behaviour in these news groups is incredible..so he worded it
    > wrong..big deal

    Big deal? Hmm.. let's see.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:

    > Do I understand it correctly, that you have installed the 4.4
    > directly after 4.2, leaving 4.3 out ? Did you completely uninstall
    > and clean the 4.2 out before installing the 4.4 ? I use the Omega
    > drivers, and usually you could install a new one right on top of the
    > previous. The 4.2 based one was an exception. 4.3 didn't work on my
    > 9600 XT until I had cleaned 4.2 out completely. 4.4 went on top of
    > 4.3 with no problems again.

    Hi ... I always uninstall drivers before installing new ones .. old
    habit ... and I did have the 4.3s in but they were a bit slower than
    the 4.2s .. so have gone back to the 4.2s.

    Have tried the Omegas and they too lockup my 9600XT .. run fine on my
    9800 Pro .. strange.

    regards

    @ndrew
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Chocolate wrote:

    > And yes, everyone would be laughing at you in that newgroup as well.

    I don't see anyone laughing at me in here .. or for that matter anyone
    else worried about my heading .. except for you .. says something
    really.

    @ndrew
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > Chocolate wrote:
    >

    > > And yes, everyone would be laughing at you in that newgroup as well.
    >

    > I don't see anyone laughing at me in here .. or for that matter anyone
    > else worried about my heading .. except for you .. says something
    > really.

    Yes, it says I'm right. Hurrah!
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    One year back in college, I was dating this girl name Penny Benjamin. She
    was pretty hot but one day I decided to come home early for a little fun and
    found her in bed with another woman who was my ex girlfriend. From that
    point on, my relationship with Penny was "broken", however, after I dumped
    her I went back to my ex girlfriend and rekindled my formerly "broken"
    relationship with her and all was cool again. Everybody I knew that dated
    Penny Benjamin just after that had a mighty fine relationship with her and
    it was only with my system where we were "broken" however 14 of my college
    dorm mates; and I do believe I can speak on their behalf; had no problems to
    report whatsoever with Penny in the weeks following. My point is that
    sometimes, things just do become broken even when they might not be broken
    for everyone.

    Ya'll be cool now.

    "Chocolate" <chocs@int.int> wrote in message

    > Using your stupid logic, a motor vehicle would be 'broken' if a child kept
    > stalling the engine.
    >
    > Your post to alt.autos would be "5 year old boy has broken my Chevy"
    > You would then go on to explain how you 'fixed' the vehicle by getting an
    > experienced driver to drive it.
    >
    > And yes, everyone would be laughing at you in that newgroup as well.

  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <4078194b$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>, @ndrew <andrewratinterno
    dedotondotnet@?.?> writes

    >Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
    >Anyone else having similar problems?

    Not a similar problem, but I downloaded and installed Cat4.4 this
    evening, and immediately ran into a problem with Windows Media Player.

    Specifically two problems, first some video clips wouldn't display
    (although the audio played OK), as far as I could see, this was
    restricted to anything encoded in MPEG2 format. Secondly, switching to
    full screen mode froze the video playback (but not audio) for any
    format. Anything in divx/xvid seems to play fine in normal window, but
    froze in full screen mode.

    Stepped back to Cat4.3 for now, but might run the cat-uninstaller and
    try again at the weekend when I have more time to investigate.

    Andrew
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I visited the ATI web site and downloaded the latest.
    It just does not like my system - 1G P4 and AIW 7500.
    The screen would some crazy out of sync frequency
    on various transitions such as stopping recording.

    I'm back to an earlier version which is much better behaved.

    Perhaps ATI will do some testing on the next Catalyist version
    before shouting about it on their web site.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

    > Ron wrote:
    >

    >> I think he's trying to say that the card may work fine in another
    >> system with different drivers. The connotation you're implying is
    >> that the card is defective and will not work in any system. Is that
    >> what you intended?
    >
    > The connotation I meant was that the 4.4 Cats had broken this card on
    > my system ... it locks hard (and I do mean hard even control-alt-delete
    > will not reset only a hard reset works). The card hardware is not
    > broken but the Cat 4.4s are for me with this card.
    >
    > It is working fine with the 4.2s but not still with the 4.4s. Have
    > done some more testing today with the 4.4s ... locks hard with Aquamark
    > (so under graphics stress).
    >
    > My system is:
    >
    > Barton 2600+

    -same here

    > Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

    -A7N8X-X, virtually the same

    > 1 GB DDR 400

    512mb DDR 400, virtually the same

    No issues at all with Cat 4.4. Did you overclock anything?

    --
    Cheers,
    The REAL Joe

Radeon Graphics