Cat 4.4 have broken my 9600XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2004 5:26:59 AM

Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
.... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.

Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.

Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.

Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
Anyone else having similar problems?

regards

@ndrew

More about : cat broken 9600xt

April 11, 2004 5:27:00 AM

Sometime on, or about 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, @ndrew scribbled:

> Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
> ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
>
> Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
> settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
> locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
> again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
> give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
> fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
>
> Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
> Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
>
> Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
> Anyone else having similar problems?
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn it off
in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed if you do.

Sam
April 11, 2004 5:27:00 AM

On 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, "@ndrew"
<andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:

>Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
>Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.

So the title of your post was completely misleading then.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
April 11, 2004 5:27:00 AM

"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
> ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
>
> Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
> settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
> locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
> again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
> give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
> fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
>
> Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
> Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
>
> Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
> Anyone else having similar problems?
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

4.4s working fine here with 9600XT and FW disabled even though I thought
with the newer Omegas you COULD have FW enabled. At least that's what the
info on them has reported on the website.
April 11, 2004 5:27:01 AM

"Sam" <srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> wrote in message
> Sometime on, or about 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, @ndrew scribbled:
>
> > Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
> > ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
> >
> > Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
> > settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
> > locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
> > again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
> > give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
> > fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
> >
> > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
> > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
> >
> > Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
> > Anyone else having similar problems?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > @ndrew
>
> I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn it off
> in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed if you do.

You heard wrong.

> Sam
April 11, 2004 5:27:01 AM

Works fine with my 9600XT. I never disabled anything and it is working
great.
Mine is a Saphire 9600XT with 256ram, though.
Don't know if that would make any difference.

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message

> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> > Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
> > ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
> >
> > Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
> > settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
> > locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
> > again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
> > give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
> > fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
> >
> > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
> > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
> >
> > Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
> > Anyone else having similar problems?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > @ndrew
>
> 4.4s working fine here with 9600XT and FW disabled even though I thought
> with the newer Omegas you COULD have FW enabled. At least that's what the
> info on them has reported on the website.

April 11, 2004 5:27:02 AM

Sometime on, or about Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:09:54 -0400, JTS scribbled:

> "Sam" <srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> wrote in message
>> Sometime on, or about 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, @ndrew scribbled:
>>
>>> Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
>>> ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
>>>
>>> Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
>>> settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
>>> locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
>>> again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
>>> give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
>>> fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
>>>
>>> Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
>>> Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
>>>
>>> Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
>>> Anyone else having similar problems?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> @ndrew
>>
>> I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn it off
>> in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed if you do.
>
> You heard wrong.

This information came with the Omega drivers which I installed. I guess
they don't know what they're talking about.

Sam
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 5:57:32 AM

Andrew wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, "@ndrew"
> <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:
>
> > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
> > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
>
> So the title of your post was completely misleading then.

No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.

regards

@ndrew
April 11, 2004 5:57:33 AM

> Andrew wrote:
>
> > On 11 Apr 2004 01:26:59 +0950, "@ndrew"
> > <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:
> >
> > > Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
> > > Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
> >
> > So the title of your post was completely misleading then.
>

> No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

4.4's are working fine with my Sapphire 9600Pro with fast-writes on (tested
only on Far Cry so far tho) - sorry no solution to your prob I'm afraid just
FYI. Shaun
April 11, 2004 5:57:33 AM

On 11 Apr 2004 01:57:32 +0950, "@ndrew"
<andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:

>No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.

Then there is an incompatibility. Nothing is "broken".
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
April 11, 2004 5:59:26 AM

Sam wrote:

> I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn
> it off in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed
> if you do.

Thanks Sam .. the 9600s are actually the exception to the rule .. fast
writes are meant to be turned on with these cards. Regardless I did
the switch off and on in bios and within the 4.4s ... did not work o(

regards

@ndrew
April 11, 2004 5:59:27 AM

On 11 Apr 2004 01:59:26 +0950, "@ndrew"
<andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:

>Sam wrote:
>

>> I've heard that FastWrites don't work with the ATI 9xxx cards. Turn
>> it off in the BIOS. It's not supposed to make any difference in speed
>> if you do.
>>

>Thanks Sam .. the 9600s are actually the exception to the rule .. fast
>writes are meant to be turned on with these cards. Regardless I did
>the switch off and on in bios and within the 4.4s ... did not work o(
>
>regards
>
>@ndrew

What "rule"? Ive got the ATI 9800XT 256 with fast writes on and
never a prob. I think its more of an issue with some m/b chipsets than
the vid card themselves.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 12:36:58 PM

Striker wrote:

> > 4.4s working fine here with 9600XT and FW disabled even though I
> > thought with the newer Omegas you COULD have FW enabled. At least
> > that's what the info on them has reported on the website.

So is mine (Sapphire 9600XT 256 Mb) must be an issue with Everquest
then ... will do some tests on other applications.

The system I am running this cards on is:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
Barton 2600+
1Gb DDR 400

Nothing is overclocked.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 12:40:32 PM

Andrew wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2004 01:57:32 +0950, "@ndrew"
> <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:
>
> > No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.
>
> Then there is an incompatibility. Nothing is "broken".

Definition
broken (DAMAGED) [Show phonetics] <define.asp?dict=CALD&key=9830&ph=on>
adjective
1 damaged, no longer able to work:
He attacked the man with a broken bottle.
My watch is broken.
Careful - there's broken glass on the floor.

2 [before noun] suffering emotional pain so great that it changes the
way you live, usually as a result of an unpleasant event:
He was a broken man after his wife died.

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
<http://dictionary.cambridge.org/cald&gt;)

It is broken with the Cat 4.4s ... does not work (in fact locks the
screen forcing a hard reboot in Everquest) Will test other applications
when I get time.

regards

@ndrew
April 11, 2004 12:40:33 PM

> Andrew wrote:
>
> > On 11 Apr 2004 01:57:32 +0950, "@ndrew"
> > <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:
> >
> > > No, not at all my card is broken (ie not working) with the 4.4s.
> >
> > Then there is an incompatibility. Nothing is "broken".
>
> Definition
> broken (DAMAGED) [Show phonetics] <define.asp?dict=CALD&key=9830&ph=on>
> adjective
> 1 damaged, no longer able to work:
> He attacked the man with a broken bottle.
> My watch is broken.
> Careful - there's broken glass on the floor.
>
> 2 [before noun] suffering emotional pain so great that it changes the
> way you live, usually as a result of an unpleasant event:
> He was a broken man after his wife died.
>
> (from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
> <http://dictionary.cambridge.org/cald&gt;)
>
> It is broken with the Cat 4.4s ... does not work (in fact locks the
> screen forcing a hard reboot in Everquest) Will test other applications
> when I get time.
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

I think he's trying to say that the card may work fine in another system
with different drivers. The connotation you're implying is that the card is
defective and will not work in any system. Is that what you intended?
April 11, 2004 3:55:29 PM

I am running an ATI9600XT on Asus A7N8X-Deluxe rev 2.0,768 OCZ PC3200,AMD
Barton 2500 200x11..am running the latest Omegas and all is
good...FarCry,COD..MOHAA..so must be an issue..also F/W Enabled
April 11, 2004 3:58:10 PM

in the BIOS of the M/B....make sure you have spread spectrums disabled..and
FSB at 100%..meaning to run your PC3200 at same speed as processor
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 1:06:36 AM

Ron wrote:

> I think he's trying to say that the card may work fine in another
> system with different drivers. The connotation you're implying is
> that the card is defective and will not work in any system. Is that
> what you intended?

The connotation I meant was that the 4.4 Cats had broken this card on
my system ... it locks hard (and I do mean hard even control-alt-delete
will not reset only a hard reset works). The card hardware is not
broken but the Cat 4.4s are for me with this card.

It is working fine with the 4.2s but not still with the 4.4s. Have
done some more testing today with the 4.4s ... locks hard with Aquamark
(so under graphics stress).

My system is:

Barton 2600+
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
1 GB DDR 400

As I have said my other system is working fine with the Cat 4.4s:

P4 3Ghz
Abit IC7-G
1GB DDR 400
Sapphire Radeon Pro 128

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 1:06:37 AM

> The connotation I meant was that the 4.4 Cats had broken this card on
> my system ... it locks hard (and I do mean hard even control-alt-delete
> will not reset only a hard reset works). The card hardware is not
> broken but the Cat 4.4s are for me with this card.

You can't describe something as broken if it is not broken. Your system was
broken, and you fixed it by reverting to 4.2.
If your card was broken, then you would have had to fix the card, which you
clearly did not do.

Your attention grabbing title should have read "Cat 4.4 locks up my 9600XT"
By following Usenet etiquette, you can direct peoples' time and resources
more effectively.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 10:55:36 AM

dino wrote:

> in the BIOS of the M/B....make sure you have spread spectrums
> disabled..and FSB at 100%..meaning to run your PC3200 at same speed
> as processor

It is thanks Dino ... must be Everquest and Aquamark .. have you run
either of these?

regards

@ndrew
April 12, 2004 10:55:37 AM

just ran Aqumark...no problems what so ever..lock your AGP frequency..run
memtest86 on your memory and see if there is an issue that way that might be
cropping up
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 10:59:44 AM

Chocolate wrote:

> You can't describe something as broken if it is not broken. Your
> system was broken, and you fixed it by reverting to 4.2.
> If your card was broken, then you would have had to fix the card,
> which you clearly did not do.

I did fix the card by reverting drivers ... since it did not work in
the 4.4s as I wanted it to .. it was broken ie unusable for me with the
drivers.

> Your attention grabbing title should have read "Cat 4.4 locks up my
> 9600XT" By following Usenet etiquette, you can direct peoples' time
> and resources more effectively.

Do not tell me what to post on usenet and I won't tell you what to
post.

I will post what I want and the title was quite right my card was
broken, unusable with the prgrams I wanted to use, with the 4.4s.

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 1:18:15 PM

dino wrote:

> just ran Aqumark...no problems what so ever..lock your AGP
> frequency..run memtest86 on your memory and see if there is an issue
> that way that might be cropping up

Have always locked the frequency and Memtest is fine .. weird o(

regards

@ndrew
April 12, 2004 1:18:16 PM

the only difference so far I can see..is that I am running the Omega's
instead of the actual ATI
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 2:53:57 PM

Using your stupid logic, a motor vehicle would be 'broken' if a child kept
stalling the engine.

Your post to alt.autos would be "5 year old boy has broken my Chevy"
You would then go on to explain how you 'fixed' the vehicle by getting an
experienced driver to drive it.

And yes, everyone would be laughing at you in that newgroup as well.
April 12, 2004 2:53:58 PM

the childish behaviour in these news groups is incredible..so he worded it
wrong..big deal
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 4:07:56 PM

> Interesting when I installed the Cat 4.4s on my 9800 Pro no problems
> ... they bench a little slower than the 4.2 or 4.3s but they are solid.
>
> Installed the new drivers on my second machine with a 9600XT same
> settings as the 9800 except with fast writes turned on ... the card
> locked the screen in my favourite game Everquest ... Hmmm. Tried it
> again .. locked the screen again .. could not even alt tab out or even
> give the three fingered salute (control-alt-delete). Tried turning
> fast writes off and backing off the AAs ... locked tight again.
>
> Re-installed the 4.2s (isn't system recover marvellous sometimes in
> Windows XP). No lockups back to my full on settings work fine.
>
> Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
> Anyone else having similar problems?

Do I understand it correctly, that you have installed the 4.4 directly after
4.2, leaving 4.3 out ? Did you completely uninstall and clean the 4.2 out
before installing the 4.4 ? I use the Omega drivers, and usually you could
install a new one right on top of the previous. The 4.2 based one was an
exception. 4.3 didn't work on my 9600 XT until I had cleaned 4.2 out
completely. 4.4 went on top of 4.3 with no problems again.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 4:20:42 PM

dino wrote:

> the only difference so far I can see..is that I am running the Omega's
> instead of the actual ATI

I will give the Omegas a go ... it may be Everquest but I can't explain
Aquamark.

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 5:51:15 PM

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
news:p Rvec.1963$vF3.430601@news20.bellglobal.com...
> the childish behaviour in these news groups is incredible..so he worded it
> wrong..big deal

Big deal? Hmm.. let's see.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 1:51:56 AM

Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:

> Do I understand it correctly, that you have installed the 4.4
> directly after 4.2, leaving 4.3 out ? Did you completely uninstall
> and clean the 4.2 out before installing the 4.4 ? I use the Omega
> drivers, and usually you could install a new one right on top of the
> previous. The 4.2 based one was an exception. 4.3 didn't work on my
> 9600 XT until I had cleaned 4.2 out completely. 4.4 went on top of
> 4.3 with no problems again.

Hi ... I always uninstall drivers before installing new ones .. old
habit ... and I did have the 4.3s in but they were a bit slower than
the 4.2s .. so have gone back to the 4.2s.

Have tried the Omegas and they too lockup my 9600XT .. run fine on my
9800 Pro .. strange.

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 1:53:10 AM

Chocolate wrote:

> And yes, everyone would be laughing at you in that newgroup as well.

I don't see anyone laughing at me in here .. or for that matter anyone
else worried about my heading .. except for you .. says something
really.

@ndrew
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 1:53:11 AM

> Chocolate wrote:
>

> > And yes, everyone would be laughing at you in that newgroup as well.
>

> I don't see anyone laughing at me in here .. or for that matter anyone
> else worried about my heading .. except for you .. says something
> really.

Yes, it says I'm right. Hurrah!
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 9:25:03 AM

One year back in college, I was dating this girl name Penny Benjamin. She
was pretty hot but one day I decided to come home early for a little fun and
found her in bed with another woman who was my ex girlfriend. From that
point on, my relationship with Penny was "broken", however, after I dumped
her I went back to my ex girlfriend and rekindled my formerly "broken"
relationship with her and all was cool again. Everybody I knew that dated
Penny Benjamin just after that had a mighty fine relationship with her and
it was only with my system where we were "broken" however 14 of my college
dorm mates; and I do believe I can speak on their behalf; had no problems to
report whatsoever with Penny in the weeks following. My point is that
sometimes, things just do become broken even when they might not be broken
for everyone.

Ya'll be cool now.

"Chocolate" <chocs@int.int> wrote in message

> Using your stupid logic, a motor vehicle would be 'broken' if a child kept
> stalling the engine.
>
> Your post to alt.autos would be "5 year old boy has broken my Chevy"
> You would then go on to explain how you 'fixed' the vehicle by getting an
> experienced driver to drive it.
>
> And yes, everyone would be laughing at you in that newgroup as well.

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 2:50:42 AM

In article <4078194b$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>, @ndrew <andrewratinterno
dedotondotnet@?.?> writes

>Strange that the 4.4s work on the 9800 and not the 9600 ... hmmm.
>Anyone else having similar problems?

Not a similar problem, but I downloaded and installed Cat4.4 this
evening, and immediately ran into a problem with Windows Media Player.

Specifically two problems, first some video clips wouldn't display
(although the audio played OK), as far as I could see, this was
restricted to anything encoded in MPEG2 format. Secondly, switching to
full screen mode froze the video playback (but not audio) for any
format. Anything in divx/xvid seems to play fine in normal window, but
froze in full screen mode.

Stepped back to Cat4.3 for now, but might run the cat-uninstaller and
try again at the weekend when I have more time to investigate.

Andrew
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 2:50:43 AM

I visited the ATI web site and downloaded the latest.
It just does not like my system - 1G P4 and AIW 7500.
The screen would some crazy out of sync frequency
on various transitions such as stopping recording.

I'm back to an earlier version which is much better behaved.

Perhaps ATI will do some testing on the next Catalyist version
before shouting about it on their web site.

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

> Ron wrote:
>

>> I think he's trying to say that the card may work fine in another
>> system with different drivers. The connotation you're implying is
>> that the card is defective and will not work in any system. Is that
>> what you intended?
>
> The connotation I meant was that the 4.4 Cats had broken this card on
> my system ... it locks hard (and I do mean hard even control-alt-delete
> will not reset only a hard reset works). The card hardware is not
> broken but the Cat 4.4s are for me with this card.
>
> It is working fine with the 4.2s but not still with the 4.4s. Have
> done some more testing today with the 4.4s ... locks hard with Aquamark
> (so under graphics stress).
>
> My system is:
>
> Barton 2600+

-same here

> Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

-A7N8X-X, virtually the same

> 1 GB DDR 400

512mb DDR 400, virtually the same

No issues at all with Cat 4.4. Did you overclock anything?

--
Cheers,
The REAL Joe