XP Home update Service Pack 2 Fail install

I am trying to install SP2 on a XP Home machine, I have switched off all AV
packages but error " Unable to read form or write to Database" . This is a
PC from PcWorld ( UK) and does not come with an installation disk, the s/w is
installed on the D drive. I have looked through the Event Viewer and it gave
an error about Esentutl.exe , I have tried to run the :

esentutl /g C:Windows\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb

I get an error back saying :

Error: Access to source database 'C:Windows\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb'
faile
d with Jet error -1811.

I cannot find any info on the web to cure this , anyone got any ideas ?
2 answers Last reply
More about home update service pack fail install

    Welcome to the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Chat.
    You can get no charge Windows XP SP2 support here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=Wxpsp2chat

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    weed wrote:

    > I am trying to install SP2 on a XP Home machine, I have switched off
    > all AV packages but error " Unable to read form or write to Database" .
    Hi

    I would think you need to delete/rename the .log files in
    the folder %windir%\Security\ (and maybe %windir%\System32\CatRoot2\).

    I have created a batch file that does this for you.

    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

    Look for fixdb.bat under "Error 0x800710D9 Unable to read from
    or write to the database"

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Database Windows Security Windows XP