802.11g Network appears connected, but can't resolve DNS o..

I'm getting an intermittent problem with my Linksys 802.11g router, Linksys PCI card and WinXP Home.

Occasionally, and with no warning, the network stops working. The "Wireless Networks" icon says I'm connected (excellent, 54mbps), but when I try to ping the router, it times out. I have also looked under IPConfig, which gives me the correct (static) IP and DNS servers. I've looked in the system event log, but nothing seems to be associated with these outages.

So basically, Windows XP says it's got a good network connection, but nothing will go through. My first thought was that this is a hardware issue with the PCI card. The only way that I've been able to get back online once this happens is to reboot the computer, or go to standby briefly (other options I've tried are "Repair" from the "Wireless Networks" icon, and "ipconfig /flushdns").

Any ideas on how I can better diagnose and/or resolve this problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Darryl

I've got exactly the same problem with my 11g equipment - on two systems
running XPPro-ServicePack2 RC1. What version of XP are you running?

"darryl4001" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting an intermittent problem with my Linksys 802.11g router,
> Linksys PCI card and WinXP Home.
>
> Occasionally, and with no warning, the network stops working. The
> "Wireless Networks" icon says I'm connected (excellent, 54mbps), but when
> I try to ping the router, it times out. I have also looked under
> IPConfig, which gives me the correct (static) IP and DNS servers. I've
> looked in the system event log, but nothing seems to be associated with
> these outages.
>
> So basically, Windows XP says it's got a good network connection, but
> nothing will go through. My first thought was that this is a hardware
> issue with the PCI card. The only way that I've been able to get back
> online once this happens is to reboot the computer, or go to standby
> briefly (other options I've tried are "Repair" from the "Wireless
> Networks" icon, and "ipconfig /flushdns").
>
> Any ideas on how I can better diagnose and/or resolve this problem? Any
> ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Darryl

rico

Not sure, but I think he said:
>> I'm getting an intermittent problem with my Linksys 802.11g router,
>> Linksys PCI card and WinXP Home.

So just a guess, but based on his literally first sentence, I'd say WinXP
Home. Of course I could be wrong.

BTW, I think it is a Linksys problem on your Router/AP. Check and see if
there is an upgrade to your firmware.

>"darryl4001" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm getting an intermittent problem with my Linksys 802.11g router,
>> Linksys PCI card and WinXP Home.
>>
>> Occasionally, and with no warning, the network stops working. The
>> "Wireless Networks" icon says I'm connected (excellent, 54mbps), but when
>> I try to ping the router, it times out. I have also looked under
>> IPConfig, which gives me the correct (static) IP and DNS servers. I've
>> looked in the system event log, but nothing seems to be associated with
>> these outages.
>>
>> So basically, Windows XP says it's got a good network connection, but
>> nothing will go through. My first thought was that this is a hardware
>> issue with the PCI card. The only way that I've been able to get back
>> online once this happens is to reboot the computer, or go to standby
>> briefly (other options I've tried are "Repair" from the "Wireless
>> Networks" icon, and "ipconfig /flushdns").
>>
>> Any ideas on how I can better diagnose and/or resolve this problem? Any
>> ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Darryl

Try changing the channel to a different one. I had the same problem
happening to my wireless bridges and changing the channels worked. You
should only have to change the channel on the AP not the client. This is
getting worse by the day because of the increasing use of wireless. If users
would use the least amount of power that is required to connect and change
the channels from the default if they have a problem then things would
improve. The default channel for most wireless APs is channel 6, I recommend
changing to 11 and then reboot everything. If you are still having a problem
then someone in your area is probably using an amplifier and is overpowering
all other signals. BTW the 2.4Ghz cordless and cell phones can cause
interference to a wireless AP.

Good luck
Leo