Very slow startup on Windows 7

catand441

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
We have an Acer running on Pentium 1.3 gz with Windows 7 . Once started it runs nicely BUT it takes an eternity to start up the system. Any ideas what could cause this? I've uninstalled the virus software for the moment with no active internet connection. Still extremely slow - 10 minutes to start the system.

verbalizer

Distinguished
1. Click on the Windows 7 start icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.
2. Type MSCONFIG in the search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results.
msconfig_win7_2.gif

3. Windows 7 will launch Microsoft's System Configuration Utility. Click on the Startup tab.
msconfig_win7_3.gif

4. This takes you to a page with a list of "startup items." Startup items are programs that are automatically loaded every time you turn on your computer. Some startup programs are absolutely necessary, others are simply a waste of RAM.
msconfig_win7_4.gif

In Windows 7, allmost all of Windows' essential programs are loaded through something called "Windows Services." This means that most of the startup items you see in Windows 7 are completely optional and can be turned off. However, a good rule of thumb is to disable only those programs that you recognize and don't need to have running all the time. When in doubt, leave it on

catand441

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks. I did disable most of the Windows Services but not much improvement. Ran CCleaner several times. There is plenty of space on the hard drive and ample memory at 4GB to run Windows 7. Some drivers have become disfunctional. I'm wondering if there isn't some corruption to the Windows 7 installation or possibly a virus of some sort?

catand441

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

This is a 64 bit windows 7 and 4 GB RAM

verbalizer

Distinguished
i'm thinking clean installation of win7.
doing this will also determine if issue is software or hardware related.
if it's software corruption than the clean install will fix; if problem persist then it's a possible BIOS configuration or a hardware issue..