HELP!! Need to find reg key for network adapter!!!!

Hi,

I have winXP SP1 installed. My problem is that i have 2 NICs installed and
need to change the order of what NIC is used first. I KNOW you can change it
in control panel but i need to find the key in the registry where you can
change the order of which NIC comes first so i then can script it in Kix and
never have to worry about the order changing (XP does this from time to time)
again!? Hope you understand and THANKS for trying to help me..im desperate.thx

blu

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

I can offer an educated guess as a starting point, but since you are dealing
with the registry, I would advise using caution and backing up the registry
before testing.

You will need to look under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Network. The next subkey contains
keys for your network adaptors. Under the adaptor key is a the Connection
key. A parameter of the Connection key is the friendly name of your adaptor.
Once you've identified the adaptors your looking for, note the key name
(alpanumeric).

Now look at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\Linkage.
You will find a multi string value Bind that lists the order to which your
adaptors are bound to the Workstation Service.

My advice is to only reorder the devices named \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_....
Leave the other devices in their current positions (\Device\NetbiosSmb 1st,
\Device\NwlnkNb last, etc).

"Macca77" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have winXP SP1 installed. My problem is that i have 2 NICs installed and
> need to change the order of what NIC is used first. I KNOW you can change it
> in control panel but i need to find the key in the registry where you can
> change the order of which NIC comes first so i then can script it in Kix and
> never have to worry about the order changing (XP does this from time to time)
> again!? Hope you understand and THANKS for trying to help me..im desperate.thx

blu

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Alternate way of finding out the ID of adaptors:

At command prompt: netshe diag gui [Enter]
In the Help and Support Center window, click Scan your system
In the Modems and Network Adapters section, expand Network Adaptors, then
the adaptors and look for the SettingID.