Comparing files from old and new XP installs

I am trying to track a virus that has been appearing in my network and I
want to build a clean XP machine, let it get infected - and then somehow
look at what files got changed, added or deleted as well as any registry
changes.

There used to be a way to do this on NT and I was wondering if XP had a way
to do this?

Thanks,

Tom.
1 answer Last reply
More about comparing files installs

    tshad wrote:

    > I am trying to track a virus that has been appearing in my network and I
    > want to build a clean XP machine, let it get infected - and then somehow
    > look at what files got changed, added or deleted as well as any registry
    > changes.
    >
    > There used to be a way to do this on NT and I was wondering if XP
    > had a way to do this?
    Hi

    Some free programs that does a snapshot of before/after situations
    and reports the difference:

    Search for InCtrl5 here (does not report changes in binary
    registry values):
    http://www.xpefiles.com/searchresults.cfm

    Total Uninstall - track and undo system changes
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/totaluninstall.html
    http://www.geocities.com/ggmartau/tu.html

    InstallWatch
    http://www.epsilonsquared.com/