Comparing files from old and new XP installs

I am trying to track a virus that has been appearing in my network and I
want to build a clean XP machine, let it get infected - and then somehow
look at what files got changed, added or deleted as well as any registry
changes.

There used to be a way to do this on NT and I was wondering if XP had a way
to do this?

Thanks,

Tom.

tshad wrote:

> I am trying to track a virus that has been appearing in my network and I
> want to build a clean XP machine, let it get infected - and then somehow
> look at what files got changed, added or deleted as well as any registry
> changes.
>
> There used to be a way to do this on NT and I was wondering if XP
> had a way to do this?
Hi

Some free programs that does a snapshot of before/after situations
and reports the difference:

Search for InCtrl5 here (does not report changes in binary
registry values):
http://www.xpefiles.com/searchresults.cfm

Total Uninstall - track and undo system changes
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/totaluninstall.html
http://www.geocities.com/ggmartau/tu.html

InstallWatch
http://www.epsilonsquared.com/