Basic File permission problem

I have a file permission situation,

here is sample directory structure. with 99 directories in dirA folder
c:\dirA\dir1
\dir2
\dir99
I like to limit this user to just dir99 folder, how do I do this?

What I did was give "NO" access to dirA and "Full" access to dir99 and
disabled "Inherit from parent ..." option on dir99 folder.
BUT it didn't work, as soon that user clicks on dirA, "permission denied"
pops up.
idealy if that user opens dirA, he should only see folder dir99.

Thanks for the help.

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

Hi,

you need to give him permission to read DirA so he can look at whats inside,
then only give him full permission to dir99. Make sure he has no permission
in the other 98 directories. Another way I think will work is mapping to
c:\dirA\dir99 , that might work as well, since you are going directly to
that file, not to dirA then to dir99

Jeff

"David========" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>I have a file permission situation,
>
> here is sample directory structure. with 99 directories in dirA folder
> c:\dirA\dir1
> \dir2
> \dir99
> I like to limit this user to just dir99 folder, how do I do this?
>
> What I did was give "NO" access to dirA and "Full" access to dir99 and
> disabled "Inherit from parent ..." option on dir99 folder.
> BUT it didn't work, as soon that user clicks on dirA, "permission denied"
> pops up.
> idealy if that user opens dirA, he should only see folder dir99.
>
> Thanks for the help.

I found out that user can access it directly by skipping DirA and just
straight to /dirA/dir99
but I need to give user ability to browse...since they don't know exact
location and it might change later to other dir# directory.
I really don't want to give no browse access to all other 98 directories..

thanks.