File sharing between domain and workgroup

Hi guys, Ok here is the scenario. I have a desktop at home which is part of a
workgroup called RIKNET. I'm also a college student therefore I get a laptop
from college each semester to work on and return at the end of the semester.
Up until last semester, these laptops were part of a workgroup called
SHERNET2K. Therefore I was able to fileshare between my home PC and the
laptop by chaning my home PC workgroup to SHERNET2K. But now, these laptops
are part of a domain called SHERNETXP. I would like to do some file and
printer sharing between my home pc and the laptop. I have an admin account on
the laptop and offcourse on my home pc. What are my options?
2 answers Last reply
More about file sharing domain workgroup

    Ricky wrote:

    > Hi guys, Ok here is the scenario. I have a desktop at home which is
    > part of a workgroup called RIKNET. I'm also a college student
    > therefore I get a laptop from college each semester to work on and
    > return at the end of the semester. Up until last semester, these
    > laptops were part of a workgroup called SHERNET2K. Therefore I was
    > able to fileshare between my home PC and the laptop by chaning my home
    > PC workgroup to SHERNET2K. But now, these laptops are part of a domain
    > called SHERNETXP. I would like to do some file and printer sharing
    > between my home pc and the laptop. I have an admin account on the
    > laptop and offcourse on my home pc. What are my options?

    From MVP Lanwench referring to using a domain laptop in your home
    workgroup:

    Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
    on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
    Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
    credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
    drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
    line:

    net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    ok, I'll give that a shot.

    Thanks

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Ricky wrote:
    >
    > > Hi guys, Ok here is the scenario. I have a desktop at home which is
    > > part of a workgroup called RIKNET. I'm also a college student
    > > therefore I get a laptop from college each semester to work on and
    > > return at the end of the semester. Up until last semester, these
    > > laptops were part of a workgroup called SHERNET2K. Therefore I was
    > > able to fileshare between my home PC and the laptop by chaning my home
    > > PC workgroup to SHERNET2K. But now, these laptops are part of a domain
    > > called SHERNETXP. I would like to do some file and printer sharing
    > > between my home pc and the laptop. I have an admin account on the
    > > laptop and offcourse on my home pc. What are my options?
    >
    > From MVP Lanwench referring to using a domain laptop in your home
    > workgroup:
    >
    > Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
    > on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
    > Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
    > credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
    > drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
    > line:
    >
    > net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers