SL

Not too good in my case. I ran FarCry demo that I normally love and it
looked bad. Anything that had a shadow was terrible, almost black. I did
every single variation of AA & AF which I normally do not use. Same
results. All shadows and the water were not up to calibur. Going back to
4.3 omegas did the trick in restoring a perfectly looking and playing game.
I wanted to show off to a friend the game, .... I dont think he liked the
results. Even the usual eye candy of stuff like Mark03/Aqua etc... showed
the same results. Nice, but not as near as good as the 4.3 Cat/omega did
for the same machine.

Abit KD7a
1024 Corsair 2100
ATi 9500 pro oem
80 gig HD
400 Antec Power
XP Pro
AMD 2000+

Not a power machine granted, but not a pussy either. I have yet to see such
a glich in what Im thinking is more related to the "gamma"? When I do use
or not use the AA and such, it works with the same results. Going back to
4.3 solves every single problem.

Just throwing in my little bit here and there.

SL

After initially installing cat 4.4, I had a few issues with disappearing AA.
One such example was in the Nvidia Dawn demo. So I reverted to cat 4.2 which
solved the issues. But then! I wanted improved performance in Homeworld2, so
I decided to go back to cat 4.4. However, this time I did it a little
different.

Now, normally, I uninstall the ATI control panel and drivers using the
supplied ATI software removal utility. Reboot, disconnect Ethernet so XP
can't pull drivers from Windows Update, wait till it's all done. Then
install the new cat's. This is the cleanest way to do it, and it ensures
that registry settings and files from older releases that are no longer
necessary for the release being installed are cleared out. On the other hand
it's more work. Means I have to rerun reforce, disable 9800-pro secondary
adapter (because I don't use it and it simplifies things to disable it), set
up TV-out options, gamma options, 3d options. etc etc etc.

This time, I said f it. I'm just gonna install cat 4.4 right on top of 4.2.
After all, the major revision is still the same between the two. Well... I
ran into ZERO problems doing it this way and actually ended up fixing the AA
issues I was previously having with cat 4.4.

God... it's like these drivers have personalities!!! WTF ever happened to
just browsing to the .inf of the new drivers and manually re-installing
drivers through XP's built in driver update mechanism.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com
"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Not too good in my case. I ran FarCry demo that I normally love and it
> looked bad. Anything that had a shadow was terrible, almost black. I did
> every single variation of AA & AF which I normally do not use. Same
> results. All shadows and the water were not up to calibur. Going back to
> 4.3 omegas did the trick in restoring a perfectly looking and playing
game.
> I wanted to show off to a friend the game, .... I dont think he liked the
> results. Even the usual eye candy of stuff like Mark03/Aqua etc... showed
> the same results. Nice, but not as near as good as the 4.3 Cat/omega did
> for the same machine.
>
> Abit KD7a
> 1024 Corsair 2100
> ATi 9500 pro oem
> 80 gig HD
> 400 Antec Power
> XP Pro
> AMD 2000+
>
> Not a power machine granted, but not a pussy either. I have yet to see
such
> a glich in what Im thinking is more related to the "gamma"? When I do use
> or not use the AA and such, it works with the same results. Going back to
> 4.3 solves every single problem.
>
> Just throwing in my little bit here and there.
>
> SL

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:14:42 -0400, "Tony DiMarzio"
<djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote/replied to:

>it's more work. Means I have to rerun reforce, disable 9800-pro secondary
>adapter (because I don't use it and it simplifies things to disable it),

Please explain how you disable 9800's secondary adaptor. I'm not using
mine either. Anything i don't need, I figure I'd like to disable.

you say you run reforce, what is that?

One other thing, Radclocker doesn't seem to hold it's setting after a
reboot. Why is that?

--
Asus P4P800 MB - 8 onboard USB2 ports
2 sticks of 512 meg DDR400

[ My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Display
Adapters]
- right click Radeon 9800 PRO - Secondary and select 'disable'

Reforce is the best program, IMO, for stripping un-used refresh rates from
driver setup.
http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

Radclocker: first get the most recent version if you don't have it. Then
remove the old one using it's uninstall in add/remove programs. Install the
newest version. http://www.radlinker.com/ . Oh.. might as well get radlinker
instead of radclocker. It gives you more functionality.

also... make sure you set radclocker or radlinker in [Boot:] to "use
current" NOT "bios defaults"

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [ My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Display
> Adapters]
> - right click Radeon 9800 PRO - Secondary and select 'disable'
>
> Reforce is the best program, IMO, for stripping un-used refresh rates from
> driver setup.
> http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/
>
> Radclocker: first get the most recent version if you don't have it. Then
> remove the old one using it's uninstall in add/remove programs. Install
the
> newest version. http://www.radlinker.com/ . Oh.. might as well get
radlinker
> instead of radclocker. It gives you more functionality.
>
> also... make sure you set radclocker or radlinker in [Boot:] to "use
> current" NOT "bios defaults"
>
> --
You also need to click the "Set" button before you do the
Boot options.

Luck;
Ken