EFS AND CERTIFICATES

Hi All,

Have been studying Win XP Pro's EFS functionality. Just got a quick
question. I always thought that a certificate was made up of a users public
and private key but now I'm not so sure.

Could someone clarify for me what makes up a certificate, and what is in a
..cer file and what is in a a .pfx file.

Many thanks.

Chris
1 answer Last reply
More about certificates

    Joe schrieb:

    > Could someone clarify for me what makes up a certificate, and what is in a
    > .cer file and what is in a a .pfx file.

    A .cer file always contains exactly one certificate (and the certificate
    contains one public key signed by the authority that created the
    certificate).
    A .pfy or .p12 file can contain more than one certificate (eg a complete
    certificate chain to a trusted root) and additional it can contain the
    corresponding private key for a certificate.

    Jan

Certificate Windows XP