We have several laptop users that travel from site to site within the
company and would like to be able to connect to the local printer.
These users are "users" in the domain and of the local workstation.
As a company, we are using IP printing and the users need to be able
to configure the local printer to print to an IP address.

Does any one know of a way to unlock the printing so a local "user"
can add printers without making the users part of the Power Users
group? We do not want them to have everything that will give them.

steve_connaughton@oldnational.com wrote:
> We have several laptop users that travel from site to site within the
> company and would like to be able to connect to the local printer.
> These users are "users" in the domain and of the local workstation.
> As a company, we are using IP printing and the users need to be able
> to configure the local printer to print to an IP address.
>
> Does any one know of a way to unlock the printing so a local "user"
> can add printers without making the users part of the Power Users
> group? We do not want them to have everything that will give them.

I'm not sure where you set this in group policy although I've looked around
(will watch this thread), but I must ask why, if these are networked
printers, you don't just set up local printers on the servers in the sites &
share them from there.

This would not require any local admin rights at all for users to be able to
connect to them as network printers, and you'd have a lot more central
management control over the printers (if everyone has a local standard
TCP/IP port & local printers, and you want to change anything on your IP
network, you'll have a lot of work to do).

We are primarily a Novell shop for authentication and services.
Although we do have a Microsoft domain, most of our users PCs are not
in it (although the initial group that I need this solution for is in
the domain). Also each location does not have a server, simply a T1
back to the main office. This would make the option of setting up
printers on the server unworkable. IP addressing is done through DNS
so the PCs are configured with the DNS name, making IP changes
manageable.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:20:42 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>steve_connaughton@oldnational.com wrote:
>> We have several laptop users that travel from site to site within the
>> company and would like to be able to connect to the local printer.
>> These users are "users" in the domain and of the local workstation.
>> As a company, we are using IP printing and the users need to be able
>> to configure the local printer to print to an IP address.
>>
>> Does any one know of a way to unlock the printing so a local "user"
>> can add printers without making the users part of the Power Users
>> group? We do not want them to have everything that will give them.
>
>I'm not sure where you set this in group policy although I've looked around
>(will watch this thread), but I must ask why, if these are networked
>printers, you don't just set up local printers on the servers in the sites &
>share them from there.
>
>This would not require any local admin rights at all for users to be able to
>connect to them as network printers, and you'd have a lot more central
>management control over the printers (if everyone has a local standard
>TCP/IP port & local printers, and you want to change anything on your IP
>network, you'll have a lot of work to do).

steve_connaughton@oldnational.com wrote:
> We are primarily a Novell shop for authentication and services.
> Although we do have a Microsoft domain, most of our users PCs are not
> in it (although the initial group that I need this solution for is in
> the domain). Also each location does not have a server, simply a T1
> back to the main office. This would make the option of setting up
> printers on the server unworkable. IP addressing is done through DNS
> so the PCs are configured with the DNS name, making IP changes
> manageable.

K - I'm out of ideas as I don't know where one sets this. I must add though
that a domain doesn't matter - you can very easily set up a print server in
a workgroup (doesn't need to be terribly good hardware, just sufficient
memory), and that's what I'd do. I don't like granting users rights to do
anything that isn't absolutely necessary - just my $.02. Perhaps someone
else will post another reply that is more useful for you.

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:20:42 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> steve_connaughton@oldnational.com wrote:
>>> We have several laptop users that travel from site to site within
>>> the company and would like to be able to connect to the local
>>> printer. These users are "users" in the domain and of the local
>>> workstation. As a company, we are using IP printing and the users
>>> need to be able to configure the local printer to print to an IP
>>> address.
>>>
>>> Does any one know of a way to unlock the printing so a local "user"
>>> can add printers without making the users part of the Power Users
>>> group? We do not want them to have everything that will give them.
>>
>> I'm not sure where you set this in group policy although I've looked
>> around (will watch this thread), but I must ask why, if these are
>> networked printers, you don't just set up local printers on the
>> servers in the sites & share them from there.
>>
>> This would not require any local admin rights at all for users to be
>> able to connect to them as network printers, and you'd have a lot
>> more central management control over the printers (if everyone has a
>> local standard TCP/IP port & local printers, and you want to change
>> anything on your IP network, you'll have a lot of work to do).

See:
www.coribright.com

<steve_connaughton@oldnational.com> wrote in message
> We have several laptop users that travel from site to site within the
> company and would like to be able to connect to the local printer.
> These users are "users" in the domain and of the local workstation.
> As a company, we are using IP printing and the users need to be able
> to configure the local printer to print to an IP address.
>
> Does any one know of a way to unlock the printing so a local "user"
> can add printers without making the users part of the Power Users
> group? We do not want them to have everything that will give them.

Do these printers need to be windows shares? We currently use direct
IP printing and do not have printers set up as a share.