9500 pipeline depth ?????

I was working on mys son's PC which has a Radeon 9500 (which works fine). I
was using Powerstrip to check that sidebanding was enabled and that AGP
texture memory was available when I noticed that Powerstrip was reporting
the 'pipeline depth' as 80. Now I always thought that pipeline depth
followed the 'multiples of two' progression e.g. 32, 64, 128 etc. so I was
puzzled by the reported value of 80. Googling didn't provide any useful
info so out of curiosity I thought I would ask here - does anybody know
exactly what 'pipeline depth' means in this context and is a value of 80
unusual?

Tony

80 in hex is 128 decimal. Maybe Powerstrip is giving you the value in hex...

-Bill

"TMack" <REMOVETHECAPStonymackin@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> I was working on mys son's PC which has a Radeon 9500 (which works fine).
> was using Powerstrip to check that sidebanding was enabled and that AGP
> texture memory was available when I noticed that Powerstrip was reporting
> the 'pipeline depth' as 80. Now I always thought that pipeline depth
> followed the 'multiples of two' progression e.g. 32, 64, 128 etc. so I was
> puzzled by the reported value of 80. Googling didn't provide any useful
> info so out of curiosity I thought I would ask here - does anybody know
> exactly what 'pipeline depth' means in this context and is a value of 80
> unusual?
>
> Tony

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:39:04 +0100, "TMack"
<REMOVETHECAPStonymackin@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I was working on mys son's PC which has a Radeon 9500 (which works fine). I
>was using Powerstrip to check that sidebanding was enabled and that AGP
>texture memory was available when I noticed that Powerstrip was reporting
>the 'pipeline depth' as 80. Now I always thought that pipeline depth
>followed the 'multiples of two' progression e.g. 32, 64, 128 etc. so I was
>puzzled by the reported value of 80. Googling didn't provide any useful
>info so out of curiosity I thought I would ask here - does anybody know
>exactly what 'pipeline depth' means in this context and is a value of 80
>unusual?

Depends on which 9500 you have, is it the 'np' non-pro, or the pro
version. Also was it the original reference spec or one of the
'locked' versions.

There were reference 9500's which:

- had 8 pipes, all open and available
- had 8 pipes, with 4 closed, but [ software ] moddable
- had 8 pipes, with 4 closed, but [ hardware ] moddable

To work out which one you have, both the open & closed moddable ones
had three things in common, see the URL below for representations:

- the PCB was red
- the memory chips were square not rectangular
- the memory chips were arranged in an ' L ' shape

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/connect3d-2.html

If your card is red with square chips arranged in an ' L ' shape then
Christmas has come early in your house. I'm off to work, I'll look
back later - in the meantime someone else may jump in and help.

BoroLad

"Bill McBride" <wmcbride@verizon.net> wrote in message
> 80 in hex is 128 decimal. Maybe Powerstrip is giving you the value in
hex...

But it gives a pipeline depth value of 256 for my 9700 which would be 598
decimal pro so I don't think that is the answer.

Tony

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:39:04 +0100, "TMack"
> <REMOVETHECAPStonymackin@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> >I was working on mys son's PC which has a Radeon 9500 (which works fine).
> >was using Powerstrip to check that sidebanding was enabled and that AGP
> >texture memory was available when I noticed that Powerstrip was reporting
> >the 'pipeline depth' as 80. Now I always thought that pipeline depth
> >followed the 'multiples of two' progression e.g. 32, 64, 128 etc. so I
was
> >puzzled by the reported value of 80. Googling didn't provide any useful
> >info so out of curiosity I thought I would ask here - does anybody know
> >exactly what 'pipeline depth' means in this context and is a value of 80
> >unusual?
>
> Depends on which 9500 you have, is it the 'np' non-pro, or the pro
> version. Also was it the original reference spec or one of the
> 'locked' versions.
>
> There were reference 9500's which:
>
> - had 8 pipes, all open and available
> - had 8 pipes, with 4 closed, but [ software ] moddable
> - had 8 pipes, with 4 closed, but [ hardware ] moddable
>
> To work out which one you have, both the open & closed moddable ones
> had three things in common, see the URL below for representations:
>
> - the PCB was red
> - the memory chips were square not rectangular
> - the memory chips were arranged in an ' L ' shape
>
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/connect3d-2.html
>
> If your card is red with square chips arranged in an ' L ' shape then
> Christmas has come early in your house. I'm off to work, I'll look
> back later - in the meantime someone else may jump in and help.

Unfortunately Christmas has passed - it is a 'moddable' version but is
unstable when modded - doesn't give the checkerboard effect but it
invariably locks up sooner or later when modded. It is completely stable
without the mod.

Tony

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:18:41 +0100, "TMack"
<REMOVETHECAPStonymackin@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> "TMack" <REMOVETHECAPStonymackin@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> > I was working on mys son's PC which has a Radeon 9500 (which works
>fine).
>> > was using Powerstrip to check that sidebanding was enabled and that AGP
>> > texture memory was available when I noticed that Powerstrip was
>reporting
>> > the 'pipeline depth' as 80. Now I always thought that pipeline depth
>> > followed the 'multiples of two' progression e.g. 32, 64, 128 etc. so I
>was
>> > puzzled by the reported value of 80. Googling didn't provide any useful
>> > info so out of curiosity I thought I would ask here - does anybody know
>> > exactly what 'pipeline depth' means in this context and is a value of 80
>> > unusual?
>> >
>> > Tony
>> >

>"Bill McBride" <wmcbride@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> 80 in hex is 128 decimal. Maybe Powerstrip is giving you the value in
>hex...
>
>But it gives a pipeline depth value of 256 for my 9700 which would be 598
>decimal pro so I don't think that is the answer.
>
>Tony

I don't know what powerstrip does / uses / interprets, but

Drivers from " omegacorner.com " will open these pipes if they are
there and openable, and ;

AIDA32 under display/GPU will tell you how many ' pipes ' are open!
even the ' Adapter type ' in - right click on the desktop / settings
/ advanced should show :

- chip type as 9700 BUT
-adapter string as a 9500

BoroLad

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:18:41 +0100, "TMack"
> <REMOVETHECAPStonymackin@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> >> "TMack" <REMOVETHECAPStonymackin@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >fine).
AGP
> >reporting
> >was

> >"Bill McBride" <wmcbride@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >> 80 in hex is 128 decimal. Maybe Powerstrip is giving you the value in
> >hex...
> >
> >But it gives a pipeline depth value of 256 for my 9700 which would be 598
> >decimal pro so I don't think that is the answer.
> >
> >Tony
>
> I don't know what powerstrip does / uses / interprets, but
>
> Drivers from " omegacorner.com " will open these pipes if they are
> there and openable, and ;
>
> AIDA32 under display/GPU will tell you how many ' pipes ' are open!
> even the ' Adapter type ' in - right click on the desktop / settings
> / advanced should show :
>
> - chip type as 9700 BUT
> -adapter string as a 9500

Powerstrip is clearly not referring to the NUMBER of pipelines - I don't
think the 9700 actually has 256 pipelines!

Tony