All in Wonder crashes on computers with Intel CPUs w/Hyper..

I'd like to alert all readers that ATI is aware of an issue where using the
TV Tuner on a computer with an Intel Pentium 4 processor with Hyper
Threading will cause the computer to crash.

Their acknowledgement is here:

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4261.html

They recommend going to this MS knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589

However, this KB article recommends calling MS to apply it.

Most Microsoft TS personal have no knowledge of this, and those that do say
that it doesn't work. It may or may not be addressed in SP2.

Just fair warning to all with a later model computer using this CPU, not to
expect to the TV Tuner to work.
4 answers Last reply
More about crashes computers intel cpus hyper

    ATI's infobase article refers specifically to the TV Wonder line of
    products.

    --irv segal
    iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net

    "Steve" <steve_r34@NOSpam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to alert all readers that ATI is aware of an issue where using
    the
    > TV Tuner on a computer with an Intel Pentium 4 processor with Hyper
    > Threading will cause the computer to crash.
    >
    > Their acknowledgement is here:
    >
    > http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4261.html
    >
    > They recommend going to this MS knowledgebase article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
    >
    > However, this KB article recommends calling MS to apply it.
    >
    > Most Microsoft TS personal have no knowledge of this, and those that do
    say
    > that it doesn't work. It may or may not be addressed in SP2.
    >
    > Just fair warning to all with a later model computer using this CPU, not
    > expect to the TV Tuner to work.

    The article may refer to the TV Wonder line, but I emailed ATI with the
    same issue with my AIW 9000Pro. They stated this same answer. MS does
    not have the hot fix online. I found the fix and applied it, but it
    does not work. My PC does not crash. I just don't get the video feed
    either from the TV or the input block from a camcorder. I even disabled
    the Hyper Thread and that didn't work.

    Irv Segal wrote:
    > ATI's infobase article refers specifically to the TV Wonder line of
    > products.
    >
    > --irv segal
    > iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net
    >

    > "Steve" <steve_r34@NOSpam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'd like to alert all readers that ATI is aware of an issue where using
    >
    > the
    >
    >>TV Tuner on a computer with an Intel Pentium 4 processor with Hyper
    >>Threading will cause the computer to crash.
    >>
    >>Their acknowledgement is here:
    >>
    >>http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4261.html
    >>
    >>They recommend going to this MS knowledgebase article:
    >>
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
    >>
    >>However, this KB article recommends calling MS to apply it.
    >>
    >>Most Microsoft TS personal have no knowledge of this, and those that do
    >
    > say
    >
    >>that it doesn't work. It may or may not be addressed in SP2.
    >>
    >>Just fair warning to all with a later model computer using this CPU, not

    >>expect to the TV Tuner to work.

    I have an ALL-IN-WONDER® 9800 PRO and it DOES crash with the TV Tuner
    active. That's how I learned of the problem after suspecting everything else
    other than the video card.

    It would be nice of ATI to warn it's customers and potential customers of
    this issue. Many hours of productivity were lost troubleshooting this issue
    when they had the information all along but didn't wish to release it for
    fear of lost sales.

    Why would someone purchase an AIW card if not for the TV Tuner? The analog
    breakout box? Hardly, there are better, less expensive solutions.

    > I have an ALL-IN-WONDER® 9800 PRO and it DOES crash with the TV Tuner
    > active. That's how I learned of the problem after suspecting everything
    else
    > other than the video card.
    >
    > It would be nice of ATI to warn it's customers and potential customers of
    > this issue. Many hours of productivity were lost troubleshooting this
    issue
    > when they had the information all along but didn't wish to release it for
    > fear of lost sales.
    >
    > Why would someone purchase an AIW card if not for the TV Tuner? The analog
    > breakout box? Hardly, there are better, less expensive solutions.
    >

    > "Irv Segal" <iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > ATI's infobase article refers specifically to the TV Wonder line of
    > > products.
    > >
    > > --irv segal
    > > iceeagle.spammenot@comcast.net
    > >

    > > "Steve" <steve_r34@NOSpam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'd like to alert all readers that ATI is aware of an issue where
    using
    > > the
    > > > TV Tuner on a computer with an Intel Pentium 4 processor with Hyper
    > > > Threading will cause the computer to crash.
    > > >
    > > > Their acknowledgement is here:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4261.html
    > > >
    > > > They recommend going to this MS knowledgebase article:
    > > >
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
    > > >
    > > > However, this KB article recommends calling MS to apply it.
    > > >
    > > > Most Microsoft TS personal have no knowledge of this, and those that
    do
    > > say
    > > > that it doesn't work. It may or may not be addressed in SP2.
    > > >
    > > > Just fair warning to all with a later model computer using this CPU,
    not
    > > > expect to the TV Tuner to work.

    Great I just order a 9800 last night.

    I have a SK8N ASUS with an AMD 64 bit cpu.

    I will try it and let you know the results.

    DEP

Radeon Computer Graphics