How do I verify that Win 7 has been installed "properly" to SSD

alokep

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
My computer reseller will be installing Windows 7 (64 bit) to an SSD in my new computer (on order).

Most likely, they will use an image to restore to the drive during their production process. If the reseller uses an image created off of a HDD to do this, can it screw-up my SDD setup?

How do I verify that that was done properly (the sectors are 4K aligned, Win 7 recognizes that it is on an SSD etc)?

Thanks.
Aloke

Solution
(1) to verfy Trim is enabled (Does not verify it is working):
run Cmd (as admin) (A Dos window). Enter
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

(2) Download and run AS SSD Benchmark
Upper right where it displays Model and firmware ver.
Should indicate msahci or IASTOR (this is the driver)
For allignment - Below that it will show (ie 103424K) and an OK
Compare your results to a review of your SSD - should be reasonably close. DO NOT do this often.

(3) go to control panel - Device manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller. Should indicate msachi, or (IF INTEL Chipset) Intel SATA AHCI Controller. Note for intel achi controller needs to be ver 9.6

Would have been helpful if you specified the SSD and...
(1) to verfy Trim is enabled (Does not verify it is working):
run Cmd (as admin) (A Dos window). Enter
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

(2) Download and run AS SSD Benchmark
Upper right where it displays Model and firmware ver.
Should indicate msahci or IASTOR (this is the driver)
For allignment - Below that it will show (ie 103424K) and an OK
Compare your results to a review of your SSD - should be reasonably close. DO NOT do this often.

(3) go to control panel - Device manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller. Should indicate msachi, or (IF INTEL Chipset) Intel SATA AHCI Controller. Note for intel achi controller needs to be ver 9.6

Would have been helpful if you specified the SSD and MB.
Reason - for Intel based chipset and a SF1200 based SSD, the Intel RST/ahci ver 9 driver should be used. For AMD not sure if they have fixed their driver issue, if not then the default microsoft ahci (msachi) should be used.

Added - Myself I prefer a clean install. Did a image of SSD, transfered that image to new SSD - Had to redo using a clean custom install. That was going from SSD to SSD, you are going from HHD ->SSD, So I would def Verify installation is correct!!

Solution

alokep

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks Chief!!

My C: drive (with Windows) will be 128 GB ADATA S599 MLC SSD
My D: drive (with some apps) will be 30 GB Kingston SSDNow V Series MLC SSD (I got this because the seller had a Black Friday special that gave this away).

Are there any specific things to these drives that I can do to verify installation? Especially (3).

This is from Adata's web site: S599 is produced with up to 200GB capacity and the latest SF-1200 SandForce controller offers 280MB/s read speed and 270MB/s write speed when tested in ATTO Disk Benchmark.

Aloke

Probably the best indication of correct set up would be running the AS SSD benchmark and comparing the results with a review that show AS results. For mine (Pheonix Pro gskill provides a display of benchmarks. Mine was orginally config incorrectly (Cloned from an Intel G2 SSD) and performance was way low. After re-installing the operating system CORRECTLY my scores were reasonably close.

For the Adata w/SF1200 and if your chipset is INTEL, you should be using the Intel ahci controller. If you have an AMD system the ahci controller should be msahci. Will need to check to see if the Latest AMD chipset has fixed their problem with trim support.

For the Kingston V series the msahci controller is probably OK, but would be OK to use the intel driver I think.

On (3), In the control panel/devices manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, YOU do not want to see IDE controller - it should be ahci (as stated above). Also go to your BIOS and verify that your SATA mode is set to AHCI.

alokep

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
My motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 uses the Intel X58 chipset and Intel® ICH10R. So, I'll be using the utilities provided by Gigabyte or Intel. Gigabyte updates their utilities often, from what I can tell.

How does one properly re-install the OS on an SSD? Boot off the Win 7 disk and re-partition and reformat the drive? and then proceed with the install?

Aloke

(1) You will need the Ver 9.6 F6 intel RST Ahci driver (DO NOT use older versions), either from intel or from Gigabyte.
Link at bottom of post.

(2) Insert Win 7 installation disk, select custom install. On the page asking where to install (a) delete all existing partitions and check the box (left lower coner) for using additional drivers. select the thumb drive and then select the AHCI driver. Repartition drive and select partition to install to - From this point it becomes a normal instal procedure.

For 64 bit; Down load the first two files (2nd one is the F6 files)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)

alokep

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Whats the difference between iata96cd.exe and iata96enu.exe?

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology
Available Downloads

File name:
iata96cd.exe

Version:

Date:
03/23/2010
Latest
Size:
11.16 MB
Language:
Multi language
Operating Systems:
Windows 7*, Windows 7, 32-bit*, Windows 7, 64-bit*, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition*, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition*, Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition*, Windows Server 2003*, Windows Server 2008*, Windows Vista 32*, Windows Vista 64*, Windows Vista*, Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*

-----

File name:
iata96enu.exe

Version:

Date:
03/23/2010
Latest
Size:
6.46 MB
Language:
English
Operating Systems:
Windows 7*, Windows 7, 32-bit*, Windows 7, 64-bit*, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition*, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition*, Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition*, Windows Server 2003*, Windows Server 2008*, Windows Vista 32*, Windows Vista 64*, Windows Vista*, Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*

alokep

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I have another Question (the mind is busy thinking up scenarios while waiting for my PC to get delivered!)

There is a chance that the SSD's are attached to a different (than Intel's) controller on my motherboard (GA-X58A-UD5).

The board has Marvell's SE9128 controller that supports SATA ver 3 (6 GB/s). In that case, what changes? I don't suppose that Intel's AHCI drivers would be used for those ..?

To add to the confusion, the board has other controllers too. I'm thinking of using the Intel Southbridge becuse their drivers are probably the most mature. Besides, this site shows that the Marvell's controller is no better than the Intel's in real life, even with SSD's.

Controllers on my board:
--
South Bridge:

1. 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

Marvell 9128 chip:

1. 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
2. Support for SATA RAID 0, and RAID 1

* SATA3 RAID 0 4x and SATA3 2x performance are maximum theoretical values. Actual performance may vary by system configuration.
* SATA3 SSDs are not recommended for use in RAID 0 mode on Marvell SE9128 ports.

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:

1. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2. 2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD

JMicron JMB362 chip:

1. 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors (eSATA/USB Combo) on the back panel sup- porting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD
--

If SSD is a SATA II SSD it does not need to be on a SATA III port. However if it is on a Non-intel Port (ie your Marvel chipset) then you would use the default AHCI driver (msahci). This is the driver that windows will use if you do not use the "F6" option.

Take care and ENJOY your new system.