Rage Fury AGP & old monitor

Hello, I built a PC for a friend using leftover parts I had at home.
The PC consists of:

Asus P2B-F 400 PII CPU
256mb SDRAM-PC100
ATI Rage Fury AGP Display Adapter
Netgear FX310 NIC
Soundblaster 64 ISA Sound Card
Widows XP Pro

The PC was working fine but all of a sudden the video went black on
the monitor. The monitor is a OLD Packard-Bell 15" vga (circa 1995).
I put in anoter rage fury video card (same model) and the pc worked a
while again then did the same thing. I then tested both cards in a PC
here and they worked fine. However, I noticed that when the monitor
went black the connection light on the monitor stayed green and did
not turn to orange. I re-seated the video card (again) and the
monitor worked a while and it went blank again. I don't know if it is
the Motherboard or the monitor that is acting up. the screen display
is set at 800x600 and when I try to set it to 1024x768 the computer
automaticall sets the resolution back to 800x600.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks! TJ

JohnS

That monitor will not accept a vertical refresh rate
above 60 hz. Also, I suspect max color is 256. Still,
a monitor that old is bound to have bad electrolytics
in it. They would short out once in a while, or even
break their connections on the main board from bad
solder joints. Same is true of the power supply connector.
I'm sure you've got a bad monitor. Hook the box to
another newer monitor.

johns