Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

broken NT AUTHORITYLocalService and NetworkService Accounts

Tags:
  • Security
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 3:18:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi List,

i have 2 WinXP Maschines running. But several services don't start (i.e.
DNS Client and remote reg edit) because the accounts LocalService and
NetworkService are unable to logon.

I read under MSDN, that there is no passwd for this services. What's
wrong with this??


regards from germany


Andreas Wahlert

More about : broken authoritylocalservice networkservice accounts

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 3:18:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Could you please post the EXACT errors you are seeing? Also, when did this
problem start? Is this a clean install or upgrade? SP2 installed?

--
Bob McCoy
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
* Please note I cannot respond to email questions. Please use these
newsgroups.


"Andreas Wahlert" wrote in message ...
> Hi List,
>
> i have 2 WinXP Maschines running. But several services don't start (i.e.
> DNS Client and remote reg edit) because the accounts LocalService and
> NetworkService are unable to logon.
>
> I read under MSDN, that there is no passwd for this services. What's wrong
> with this??
>
>
> regards from germany
>
>
> Andreas Wahlert
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 6:22:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Bob McCoy [MSFT] wrote:
> Could you please post the EXACT errors you are seeing? Also, when did this
> problem start? Is this a clean install or upgrade? SP2 installed?
>

Non of all,

since several weeks, without changing everything (ok ok everyone says
this:-)).

Ok what happens:

Win XP SP1

Some services do not start (i.e. DNS Client with NT
AUTHORITY\NetworkService)

Now i have the local "System" and the local "Services" group added to
the local "administrators" Group. I know, for security reasons this is
not the right way.
But now it works. So the LocalService and NetworkService Accounts are ok.
I have further checked the local Filesystem rights and ACL's. Everything
seems to be ok.

friendly regards Andreas
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 6:26:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Ahhh,



it's a clean install with SP1.


Maschine is running since 9 or 10 month's







Andreas Wahlert wrote:


> Bob McCoy [MSFT] wrote:
>
>> Could you please post the EXACT errors you are seeing? Also, when did
>> this problem start? Is this a clean install or upgrade? SP2 installed?
>>
>
> Non of all,
>
> since several weeks, without changing everything (ok ok everyone says
> this:-)).
>
> Ok what happens:
>
> Win XP SP1
>
> Some services do not start (i.e. DNS Client with NT
> AUTHORITY\NetworkService)
>
> Now i have the local "System" and the local "Services" group added to
> the local "administrators" Group. I know, for security reasons this is
> not the right way.
> But now it works. So the LocalService and NetworkService Accounts are ok.
> I have further checked the local Filesystem rights and ACL's. Everything
> seems to be ok.
>
> friendly regards Andreas
!