Anyone had trouble with this mission? I sure did, first time through. At
that time, I found a rather difficult "cleve" method of doing it (involving
preventing the van from getting on the road), but this time through I've
found a very simple way.

Incidentally, this is another no-stars mission. It's superior to Amphibious
Assault, because in Amphibious Assault, you're stuck with fog and darkness
that never go away (and a big message on the screen that you can't get rid
of). Outrider has none of these drawbacks.

(By the way, The Da Nang Thang is even ANOTHER no-stars mission. Just jump
off the ship. It seems there are lots of no-stars missions in this part of
the game.)

Obviously, to take advantage of the no-stars situation in Outrider, you have
to be able to halt the van. The way to do that is also the answer to the
easy way to complete the mission.

So,

Spoiler space...

When you tackle a road block, leave the vehicles for last. Quickly gun down
any armed guys on the street and in the windows -- but leave the vehicles
alone. If even one vehicle is left undestroyed, the van will stop. Since
you've killed all the shooters, it won't get harmed. Go have no-stars fun.

If you're trying to complete the mission, blow the vehicles to release the
van, and then rush to the next blockade and quickly gun down the guys who're
waiting. The van will arrive, no one will be shooting, and you can release
it when you're ready by blowing the vehicles again.

Continue in that manner. Pretty easy.

It's only hard when you blow the vehicles first and THEN try to gun down the
guys (who shoot at the van when it arrives).

Notes:

(1) You don't need the rocket launcher at all. Only pick it up if you want
a rocket launcher for other things (and don't mind losing whatever's already
in its slot). Blow the vehicles using some other method, such as gun fire.
(My personal favorite is to climb on top and stomp on it until it catches
fire, then run. No ammo wasted at all.)

(2) If the van stops too close to one of the vehicles to blow the vehicle
without damaging the van, push the vehicle away to a safe distance.
(They're locked, of course.) Do it on foot. CJ's better at pushing them
than most cars. And push them sideways, when possible. It's easier.

(3) This is a cleve "mess with the mission" item. Stall the van by leaving
one vehicle left to pop at one of the first road blocks. Put a satchel on
the vehicle, but don't blow it yet. Drive to where the next road block is
going to appear. Stand right in the middle of where the vehicles and guys
will appear. Blow the satchel. As soon as the vehicle blows, the next road
block will instantly spring up around you. Cool. (The guys won't shoot you
until you fire first.)

Happy Outridering.

--cleve

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Cleve" <clevens@cox.net> wrote in message
> Anyone had trouble with this mission? I sure did, first time through. At
> that time, I found a rather difficult "cleve" method of doing it
> (involving
> preventing the van from getting on the road), but this time through I've
> found a very simple way.

I found the simplest way was to race ahead of the van you are protecting and
ignore the fact that it is there. You do not have to stay with it to protect
it, as long as you know the route to go.
Get to first roadblock, use the rocket launcher on one of the vehicles this
will take them all. Then use any gun to take out the people. Couple of
them really could do with using the sniper rifle as they are kind of hidden
above you. As soon as they are all dead, don't wait for the van just carry
on to next roadblock and rinse and repeat until you get to the last
roadblock. Then you get the message to help the van to safety which is just
round the corner.
Doing it this way the van will never catch up while there are enemies
around.

"Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message

> "Cleve" <clevens@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone had trouble with this mission? I sure did, first time through.
>> At
>> that time, I found a rather difficult "cleve" method of doing it
>> (involving
>> preventing the van from getting on the road), but this time through I've
>> found a very simple way.
>
> I found the simplest way was to race ahead of the van you are protecting
> and ignore the fact that it is there. You do not have to stay with it to
> protect it, as long as you know the route to go.
> Get to first roadblock, use the rocket launcher on one of the vehicles
> this will take them all. Then use any gun to take out the people. Couple
> of them really could do with using the sniper rifle as they are kind of
> hidden above you. As soon as they are all dead, don't wait for the van
> just carry on to next roadblock and rinse and repeat until you get to the
> last roadblock. Then you get the message to help the van to safety which
> is just round the corner.
> Doing it this way the van will never catch up while there are enemies
> around.

That's what I used to try to do, but, since I was killing the shooters last,
I couldn't get it to work.

For me, anyway, the secret is to take out the shooters first -- then do the
vehicles at my leisure.

--cleve

> Incidentally, this is another no-stars mission...

What's the first "no stars" mission? Can it be used to pick up all the
oysters etc?

G Hardy wrote:

> > Incidentally, this is another no-stars mission...
>
> What's the first "no stars" mission? Can it be used to pick up all the
> oysters etc?

First I am aware of is Los Sepulcros, which is very near the end of
the first section. I would think you could use the opportunity to get
the oysters, yes. As for photos and horseshoes there isn't much point
as you wouldn't be able to collect the weapons. You could pick up some
heat seekers or a minigun or two.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>G Hardy wrote:
>>

>> > Incidentally, this is another no-stars mission...
>>
>> What's the first "no stars" mission? Can it be used to pick up all the
>> oysters etc?
>
> First I am aware of is Los Sepulcros, which is very near the end of
> the first section. I would think you could use the opportunity to get
> the oysters, yes. As for photos and horseshoes there isn't much point
> as you wouldn't be able to collect the weapons. You could pick up some
> heat seekers or a minigun or two.

Oh. Guess I never tried Los Sepulcros. The earliest I was aware of is
Reuniting the Families.

I haven't faithfully checked every mission. There could be other earlier
ones, for all I know.

The trouble with weapons/vehicle gathering during such a no-stars mission is
that you have to come back and finish the mission before you can save. That
can be tough with Reuniting the Families (because of the rather
unpredictable chase at the end). So, I'd pick Los Sepulcros as superior, if
it works. (Really? You can't get any stars during the shoot out?)

--cleve

Cleve wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> What's the first "no stars" mission? Can it be used to pick up all the
> >> oysters etc?
> >
> > First I am aware of is Los Sepulcros, which is very near the end of
> > the first section. I would think you could use the opportunity to get
> > the oysters, yes. As for photos and horseshoes there isn't much point
> > as you wouldn't be able to collect the weapons. You could pick up some
> > heat seekers or a minigun or two.
> >

> Oh. Guess I never tried Los Sepulcros. The earliest I was aware of is
> Reuniting the Families.

oops, sorry, no, you're right. I was trying to recall the missions and
walked through them in my head. It WAS reuniting the families. :O)

--

> The trouble with weapons/vehicle gathering during such a no-stars mission
is
> that you have to come back and finish the mission before you can save.
That
> can be tough with Reuniting the Families (because of the rather
> unpredictable chase at the end). So, I'd pick Los Sepulcros as superior,
if
> it works. (Really? You can't get any stars during the shoot out?)

It's not the stars you get during the mission that matters - it's the
absence of stars when you go into forbidden territory. Anything that allows
you to get all the tokens before you start the story and side missions.