pj

I just purchased a Dell desktop computer. It came with the following McAfee
products: VirsusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, Privacy Service and
SpamKiller. I am currently using cable for internet access, however, I will
be changing to BellSouth access within the next couple of weeks. Is there
any other software I need to ensure my system is secure?

Is there
> any other software I need to ensure my system is secure?

The latest patches from the Windows update service.
Set reminders to update everything on a regular basis.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"PJ" <PJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased a Dell desktop computer. It came with the following
McAfee
> products: VirsusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, Privacy Service and
> SpamKiller. I am currently using cable for internet access, however, I
will
> be changing to BellSouth access within the next couple of weeks. Is there
> any other software I need to ensure my system is secure?

pj

How do I do set reminders?

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> Is there
> > any other software I need to ensure my system is secure?
>

> The latest patches from the Windows update service.
> Set reminders to update everything on a regular basis.
>
> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "PJ" <PJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just purchased a Dell desktop computer. It came with the following
> McAfee
> > products: VirsusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, Privacy Service and
> > SpamKiller. I am currently using cable for internet access, however, I
> will
> > be changing to BellSouth access within the next couple of weeks. Is there
> > any other software I need to ensure my system is secure?

Monthly or bi weekly reminders in Outlook
Scheduling task manager to open auto update. Do all other updates at this
time.
Put it on a calendar
How ever it makes sense to you

The idea is that security threats constantly change. (Good) Security
software must be updated to keep up with the changing threats.

It really dosent matter how you remember to do this as long as you realise
that scanning today, you are likely to catch threats that are present today.
*Something* needs to be updated in order to catch the new threats that will
appear in the next month.

> How do I do set reminders?
>
> "Danny Sanders" wrote:
>
> > Is there
> > > any other software I need to ensure my system is secure?
> >

> > The latest patches from the Windows update service.
> > Set reminders to update everything on a regular basis.
> >
> > hth
> > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
> >
> > "PJ" <PJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I just purchased a Dell desktop computer. It came with the following
> > McAfee
> > > products: VirsusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, Privacy Service and
> > > SpamKiller. I am currently using cable for internet access, however,
> > will
> > > be changing to BellSouth access within the next couple of weeks. Is
there
> > > any other software I need to ensure my system is secure?

pj

Thanks Danny. I thought there was a way to go into McAfee's website and do
it. I will set-up my Outlook.

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> Monthly or bi weekly reminders in Outlook
> Scheduling task manager to open auto update. Do all other updates at this
> time.
> Put it on a calendar
> How ever it makes sense to you
>
> The idea is that security threats constantly change. (Good) Security
> software must be updated to keep up with the changing threats.
>
> It really dosent matter how you remember to do this as long as you realise
> that scanning today, you are likely to catch threats that are present today.
> *Something* needs to be updated in order to catch the new threats that will
> appear in the next month.
>
> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "PJ" <PJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I do set reminders?
> >
> > "Danny Sanders" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there
> > >

> > > The latest patches from the Windows update service.
> > > Set reminders to update everything on a regular basis.
> > >
> > > hth
> > > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
> > >
> > > "PJ" <PJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > McAfee
> > > will
> there

Get a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41. It will act a simplistic FireWall and
will protect you from Hackers and Internet worms better than software on the PC can. There
are Cable/DSL Routers that have full FireWalls as well. There are *many* more benefits to
such a device as well.

--
Dave