Desktop Shortcut to Change Password

I'm setting up a computer that is for users to change their password on.
What I would like to do is set up a desktop shortcut (or Startup shortcut,
actually) that will bring up either the "Change Password" dialog box or the
"Windows Security" box (the shortcut is available in the "Settings" section
of the Start Menu when you're using XP via Terminal Services) when the
command is run. I need to do this so that users can change their password
and then be immediately logged off. Does anyone know how to do this or know
a different way to force this. By the way, I need to be able to use the
Change Password box because I'm not just setting a Windows domain password, I
need to set a Novell client password at the same time.

Thanks,
Nick

Having the users press <CTRL><ALT><DELETE> and then pressing the Change
Password button...

Or... You could write a script that does it all... However this may take
longer then to train them to use the approach above...

"Nick in Centennial" <Nick in Centennial@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:86BEF07B-FA00-4C21-9DC7-00869E1AB340@microsoft.com...
> I'm setting up a computer that is for users to change their password on.
> What I would like to do is set up a desktop shortcut (or Startup shortcut,
> actually) that will bring up either the "Change Password" dialog box or
> the
> "Windows Security" box (the shortcut is available in the "Settings"
> section
> of the Start Menu when you're using XP via Terminal Services) when the
> command is run. I need to do this so that users can change their password
> and then be immediately logged off. Does anyone know how to do this or
> know
> a different way to force this. By the way, I need to be able to use the
> Change Password box because I'm not just setting a Windows domain
> password, I
> need to set a Novell client password at the same time.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Yeah, but I'd like to be able to force this behavior. I don't want the users
messing around on the machine or attempting to use it for other purposes, I
want them to log on, have the password dialog box pop up, change the
password, and log off. I may have to tell them to use CRTL-ALT-DELETE
anyway...

"Stewart Basterash" wrote:

> Having the users press <CTRL><ALT><DELETE> and then pressing the Change
> Password button...
>
> Or... You could write a script that does it all... However this may take
> longer then to train them to use the approach above...
>
> "Nick in Centennial" <Nick in Centennial@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:86BEF07B-FA00-4C21-9DC7-00869E1AB340@microsoft.com...
> > I'm setting up a computer that is for users to change their password on.
> > What I would like to do is set up a desktop shortcut (or Startup shortcut,
> > actually) that will bring up either the "Change Password" dialog box or
> > the
> > "Windows Security" box (the shortcut is available in the "Settings"
> > section
> > of the Start Menu when you're using XP via Terminal Services) when the
> > command is run. I need to do this so that users can change their password
> > and then be immediately logged off. Does anyone know how to do this or
> > know
> > a different way to force this. By the way, I need to be able to use the
> > Change Password box because I'm not just setting a Windows domain
> > password, I
> > need to set a Novell client password at the same time.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nick

Nick is this an Active Directory Domain? If so you can force a change
password dialog by setting policy...

"Nick in Centennial" <NickinCentennial@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A2C94D1F-5678-4DE2-B9FB-52726D629BF1@microsoft.com...
> Yeah, but I'd like to be able to force this behavior. I don't want the
> users
> messing around on the machine or attempting to use it for other purposes,
> want them to log on, have the password dialog box pop up, change the
> password, and log off. I may have to tell them to use CRTL-ALT-DELETE
> anyway...
>
> "Stewart Basterash" wrote:
>
>> Having the users press <CTRL><ALT><DELETE> and then pressing the Change
>> Password button...
>>
>> Or... You could write a script that does it all... However this may take
>> longer then to train them to use the approach above...
>>
>> "Nick in Centennial" <Nick in Centennial@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:86BEF07B-FA00-4C21-9DC7-00869E1AB340@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm setting up a computer that is for users to change their password
>> > on.
>> > What I would like to do is set up a desktop shortcut (or Startup
>> > shortcut,
>> > actually) that will bring up either the "Change Password" dialog box or
>> > the
>> > "Windows Security" box (the shortcut is available in the "Settings"
>> > section
>> > of the Start Menu when you're using XP via Terminal Services) when the
>> > command is run. I need to do this so that users can change their
>> > password
>> > and then be immediately logged off. Does anyone know how to do this or
>> > know
>> > a different way to force this. By the way, I need to be able to use
>> > the
>> > Change Password box because I'm not just setting a Windows domain
>> > password, I
>> > need to set a Novell client password at the same time.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Nick

Nick,

You mentioned that this is a Novell Network already... dahhh! I guess it
depends on the overall configuration of your network... If you are logging
in locally to the workstation and then giving network services via Novell
you will be limited in your options... however there is always a solution...
You can script this out... I have done this... If you have a dual network...
ie Novell and Microsoft AD then you can force password change via Group
Policy... If you are Novell NT 4 domain... again... its a bit cludgy, but it
can work via scripting...

Stew

"Nick in Centennial" <NickinCentennial@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A2C94D1F-5678-4DE2-B9FB-52726D629BF1@microsoft.com...
> Yeah, but I'd like to be able to force this behavior. I don't want the
> users
> messing around on the machine or attempting to use it for other purposes,
> want them to log on, have the password dialog box pop up, change the
> password, and log off. I may have to tell them to use CRTL-ALT-DELETE
> anyway...
>
> "Stewart Basterash" wrote:
>
>> Having the users press <CTRL><ALT><DELETE> and then pressing the Change
>> Password button...
>>
>> Or... You could write a script that does it all... However this may take
>> longer then to train them to use the approach above...
>>
>> "Nick in Centennial" <Nick in Centennial@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:86BEF07B-FA00-4C21-9DC7-00869E1AB340@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm setting up a computer that is for users to change their password
>> > on.
>> > What I would like to do is set up a desktop shortcut (or Startup
>> > shortcut,
>> > actually) that will bring up either the "Change Password" dialog box or
>> > the
>> > "Windows Security" box (the shortcut is available in the "Settings"
>> > section
>> > of the Start Menu when you're using XP via Terminal Services) when the
>> > command is run. I need to do this so that users can change their
>> > password
>> > and then be immediately logged off. Does anyone know how to do this or
>> > know
>> > a different way to force this. By the way, I need to be able to use
>> > the
>> > Change Password box because I'm not just setting a Windows domain
>> > password, I
>> > need to set a Novell client password at the same time.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Nick

Nick, is this a corporate domain? What do your IT auditors think about an
unsolicited pop-up box that prompts users for passwords?