Anti Virus

a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 4:19:50 PM

what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Security-Admin-Anti-Virus-...

More about : anti virus

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 4:19:51 PM

Norton Internet Security 2005
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

-- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2005
-- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
-- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
-- Includes Parental Controls
-- All in one, easy-to-install package

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

oldjake69 wrote:
> what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake

You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
were acquired by Network Associates.

However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
(http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
product.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 4:19:51 PM

CA's eTrust package is a very strong contender IMHO and is free for 12
months if you use the following link:

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

HTH

BB

"oldjake69" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake
>
> --
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Security-Admin-Anti-Virus-...
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=730190
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 6:02:30 PM

Robert:

Clay is updating the site. Here is a new URL.

Dave

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
| oldjake69 wrote:
| > what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake
|
| No such thing as one single "best" product.
|
| Are you talking for a standalone PC or a network full of PCs?
| Is price important to you?
| Do you want a lean mean virus scanner that does that very well and doesn't
| dabble in other things, or do you want a all-singing, all-dancing "security
| suite" that scans for viruses, includes a firewall, detects spamware and
| cleans your laundry perfectly clean at low temperatures, including those
| difficult to remove stains like red wine and grass?
|
| There is a good list here (http://www.claymania.com/anti-virus.html) with
| some notes on the strong points of each package, etc.
|
| --
| --
| Rob Moir, Microsoft MVP for servers & security
| Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
| Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
|
| Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 22, 2004 7:24:34 PM

oldjake69 wrote:
> what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake

An opinion question...
Great..

Get some, try them out, form your own opinion. I use AVG, Avast!, Symantec
and McAfee in several different environments - each works for me. I use
some I don't list here in others.

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://www.grisoft.com/

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...)

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to
look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally
settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and
perform a full scan periodically (yes, it protects you actively, but a
full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)

--
<- Shenan ->
a b 8 Security

Nice listing and the prices info is a good plus !

You left out a good one.

CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
{ Free offer ends 2/1/05 }

--
Dave

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
news:o M9hDUH6EHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| oldjake69 wrote:
| > what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake
|
| An opinion question...
| Great..
|
| Get some, try them out, form your own opinion. I use AVG, Avast!, Symantec
| and McAfee in several different environments - each works for me. I use
| some I don't list here in others.
|
| Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
| http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
|
| Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
| http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html
|
| Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
| http://www.pandasoftware.com/
| (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)
|
| AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
| http://www.grisoft.com/
|
| McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
| http://www.mcafee.com/
|
| AntiVir (Free and up)
| http://www.free-av.com/
|
| avast! (Free and up)
|
| Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
| http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
| (Free Online Scanner:
| http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...)
|
| RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
| http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
|
| Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to
| look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally
| settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and
| perform a full scan periodically (yes, it protects you actively, but a
| full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)
|
| --
| <- Shenan ->
| --
| The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
| yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
| responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
| getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 23, 2004 4:10:54 AM

"David H. Lipman" wrote:
> Nice listing and the prices info is a good plus !
>
> You left out a good one.
>
> CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm -
> FREE for one year.
> { Free offer ends 2/1/05 }
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o M9hDUH6EHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | oldjake69 wrote:
> | > what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help
> oldjake
> |
> | An opinion question...
> | Great..
> |
> | Get some, try them out, form your own opinion. I use AVG,
> Avast!, Symantec
> | and McAfee in several different environments - each works
> for me. I use
> | some I don't list here in others.
> |
> | Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
> | http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
> |
> | Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
> | http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html
> |
> | Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
> | http://www.pandasoftware.com/
> | (Free Online Scanner:
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)
> |
> | AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
> | http://www.grisoft.com/
> |
> | McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
> | http://www.mcafee.com/
> |
> | AntiVir (Free and up)
> | http://www.free-av.com/
> |
> | avast! (Free and up)
> |
> | Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
> | http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
> | (Free Online Scanner:
> | http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...)
> |
> | RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
> | http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
> |
> | Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will
> have to
> | look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one
> you finally
> | settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at
> least daily) and
> | perform a full scan periodically (yes, it protects you
> actively, but a
> | full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)
> |
> | --
> | <- Shenan ->
> | --
> | The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
> research for
> | yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
> ultimately
> | responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what
> you are
> | getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Thanks youall for your kind help oldjake

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Security-Admin-Anti-Virus-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=730930
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 23, 2004 12:36:52 PM

"oldjake69" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake

If this is for home, personal home use try AVG Antivirus Free Edition,
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/.

V/
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 24, 2004 1:20:52 PM

There is no "best" anti-virus. It's a matter of opinion. I've tried
McAfee, Norton, eTrust EZ Armor, AVG (free edition) and now Avast (free
edition). With the exception of Avast, every other AV program caused some
minor problems/glitches with my computers. After three months of using
Avast Free 4.5, I can safely say no problems encountered....so far.
!