Anti Virus

what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Security-Admin-Anti-Virus-ftopict240689.html

    Norton Internet Security 2005
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

    -- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2005
    -- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
    -- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
    -- Includes Parental Controls
    -- All in one, easy-to-install package

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    oldjake69 wrote:
    > what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake

    You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

    I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
    Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
    without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
    But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
    products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
    were acquired by Network Associates.

    However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
    Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
    higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
    expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
    GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
    free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
    (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
    easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
    was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
    improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
    product.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    CA's eTrust package is a very strong contender IMHO and is free for 12
    months if you use the following link:

    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    HTH

    BB

    "oldjake69" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake
    >
    > --
    > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Security-Admin-Anti-Virus-ftopict240689.html
    > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=730190

    Robert:

    Clay is updating the site. Here is a new URL.

    Dave

    oldjake69 wrote:
    > what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake

    An opinion question...
    Great..

    Get some, try them out, form your own opinion. I use AVG, Avast!, Symantec
    and McAfee in several different environments - each works for me. I use
    some I don't list here in others.

    Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
    http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

    Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

    Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/
    (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

    AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
    http://www.mcafee.com/

    AntiVir (Free and up)
    http://www.free-av.com/

    avast! (Free and up)

    Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
    (Free Online Scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

    RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to
    look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally
    settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and
    perform a full scan periodically (yes, it protects you actively, but a
    full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Nice listing and the prices info is a good plus !

    You left out a good one.

    CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    { Free offer ends 2/1/05 }

    --
    Dave

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    > Nice listing and the prices info is a good plus !
    >
    > You left out a good one.
    >
    > CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm -
    > FREE for one year.
    > { Free offer ends 2/1/05 }
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    > | oldjake69 wrote:
    > | > what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help
    > oldjake
    > |
    > | An opinion question...
    > | Great..
    > |
    > | Get some, try them out, form your own opinion. I use AVG,
    > Avast!, Symantec
    > | and McAfee in several different environments - each works
    > for me. I use
    > | some I don't list here in others.
    > |
    > | Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
    > | http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
    > |
    > | Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
    > | http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html
    > |
    > | Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
    > | http://www.pandasoftware.com/
    > | (Free Online Scanner:
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)
    > |
    > | AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
    > | http://www.grisoft.com/
    > |
    > | McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
    > | http://www.mcafee.com/
    > |
    > | AntiVir (Free and up)
    > | http://www.free-av.com/
    > |
    > | avast! (Free and up)
    > |
    > | Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
    > | http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
    > | (Free Online Scanner:
    > | http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)
    > |
    > | RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
    > | http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
    > |
    > | Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will
    > have to
    > | look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one
    > you finally
    > | settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at
    > least daily) and
    > | perform a full scan periodically (yes, it protects you
    > actively, but a
    > | full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)
    > |
    > | --
    > | <- Shenan ->
    > | --
    > | The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
    > research for
    > | yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
    > ultimately
    > | responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what
    > you are
    > | getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    Thanks youall for your kind help oldjake

    --
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=730930

    "oldjake69" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > what is the best Anti virus to us thanks for any help oldjake

    If this is for home, personal home use try AVG Antivirus Free Edition,
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/.

    V/

    There is no "best" anti-virus. It's a matter of opinion. I've tried
    McAfee, Norton, eTrust EZ Armor, AVG (free edition) and now Avast (free
    edition). With the exception of Avast, every other AV program caused some
    minor problems/glitches with my computers. After three months of using
    Avast Free 4.5, I can safely say no problems encountered....so far.

Security Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP Product