Synchronizing files via a wireless connection

I can't figure out how to synchronize selected folders.

I use some files on both my laptop (XP Home) and my desktop (98SE) and have
a wireless connection with everything set to be shared between both
computers. I know I can use Windows Explorer to copy the files. What I
would really like to do is to be able to have the files compared and update
the old version of files to the latest versions without regard to which
computer has the latest version.

I don't want to make the two computers identical, only update files in
certain folders. I keep thinking the way to do this is by using the
"synchronize" command under tools in Explorer. I cannot figure how to
assign folders to the synchronize command.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:16:35 -0400, "Giganews" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>I can't figure out how to synchronize selected folders.
>
>I use some files on both my laptop (XP Home) and my desktop (98SE) and have
>a wireless connection with everything set to be shared between both
>computers. I know I can use Windows Explorer to copy the files. What I
>would really like to do is to be able to have the files compared and update
>the old version of files to the latest versions without regard to which
>computer has the latest version.
>
>I don't want to make the two computers identical, only update files in
>certain folders. I keep thinking the way to do this is by using the
>"synchronize" command under tools in Explorer. I cannot figure how to
>assign folders to the synchronize command.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

I believe that the Synchronize command in Windows Explorer - Tools helps you
synchronize off-line copies of web pages.

For synchronising various folders on multiple computers, you will need a third
party product. You should find numerous possibilities from searching software
download websites. Two which I use frequently are:
http://www.download.com/?legacy=cnet
http://www.tucows.com/
I typed in "synchronize folders" to the search engines in those websites, and
got numerous possibilities. You should check them out.

I personally use a freeware product, Unison, from
<http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/>.

Cheers,
Chuck