Domain account vs. local account

Can anyone tell me what the "best practice" is for deploying Windows XP
on laptops to users that are frequently out of the office. These users
will only need to use domain resources once or twice per year. Is
there any benefit to setting them us with a domain account? We are talking
about 500 plus users.
2 answers Last reply
More about domain account local account

    Hi.
    Been in your situation. We ended up with domain accounts, registered the
    laptops in a own OU with strickt rights, so that they could store/get data on
    a central server when they need, and comunicate with the network.
    Benefits of domain accounts depends on how your network is. VPN, dial-in,
    Remote Desktop, etc. We found it best to have an domain account for them,
    since we use much MS technology, and it easest the work with rights etc when
    laptop users have domain account.

    "JoeC" wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me what the "best practice" is for deploying Windows XP
    > on laptops to users that are frequently out of the office. These users
    > will only need to use domain resources once or twice per year. Is
    > there any benefit to setting them us with a domain account? We are talking
    > about 500 plus users.

    How do you handle the domain password expiring though? Should we set all
    remote users passwords to never expire? I am just afraid that they will get
    locked out of their machine if their domain password expires. Most of these
    users will be connecting through Nortel Contivity VPN or AT&T net client and
    then through our firewall. Do you usually give them admin rights or less?
    We are still running NT4 but are in the process of moving to AD.

    "Tommy Kjellby" wrote:

    > Hi.
    > Been in your situation. We ended up with domain accounts, registered the
    > laptops in a own OU with strickt rights, so that they could store/get data on
    > a central server when they need, and comunicate with the network.
    > Benefits of domain accounts depends on how your network is. VPN, dial-in,
    > Remote Desktop, etc. We found it best to have an domain account for them,
    > since we use much MS technology, and it easest the work with rights etc when
    > laptop users have domain account.
    >

    > "JoeC" wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone tell me what the "best practice" is for deploying Windows XP
    > > on laptops to users that are frequently out of the office. These users
    > > will only need to use domain resources once or twice per year. Is
    > > there any benefit to setting them us with a domain account? We are talking
    > > about 500 plus users.

Security Domain Microsoft Windows XP