XP Pro MMC Snap-in Delete problems

I am running XP Pro on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII. There are 2 users on this
computer and we are not connected to a network.

In playing with the settings in MMC I have caused some problems with my
system that I do not know how to correct.

1. I am unable to get Properties on anything in MMC. This also means that I
am unable to configure them.

2. Search does not work. At all.]

3. Help does not work. At all.

4. I cannot create shortcuts on my desktop and move them. They are created
on my desktop wherever I right-click and cannot move them from there. They
are not locked, though.

5. My SO cannot logon to his desktop. The only person who can logon is myself.

Please, I did some really stupid things in the middle of the night when I
was tired (instead of shutting it down and sleeping until I wasn't) and do
not know how to undo them. I setup the IIS module. I get a network logon now
instead of a local computer logon.
--
Terri Sprague
www.tlsprague.com

    tsprague wrote:

    > I am running XP Pro on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII. There are 2 users on
    > this computer and we are not connected to a network.
    >
    > In playing with the settings in MMC I have caused some problems with
    > my system that I do not know how to correct.
    >
    > 1. I am unable to get Properties on anything in MMC. This also means
    > that I am unable to configure them.
    >
    > 2. Search does not work. At all.]
    >
    > 3. Help does not work. At all.
    >
    > 4. I cannot create shortcuts on my desktop and move them. They are
    > created on my desktop wherever I right-click and cannot move them from
    > there. They are not locked, though.
    >
    > 5. My SO cannot logon to his desktop. The only person who can logon is
    > myself.
    >
    > Please, I did some really stupid things in the middle of the night
    > when I was tired (instead of shutting it down and sleeping until I
    > wasn't) and do not know how to undo them. I setup the IIS module. I
    > get a network logon now instead of a local computer logon.

    See if doing a System Restore to before you "played with" the settings
    helps.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    When I start System Restore, all I get is a blank window.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > tsprague wrote:
    >
    > > I am running XP Pro on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII. There are 2 users on
    > > this computer and we are not connected to a network.
    > >
    > > In playing with the settings in MMC I have caused some problems with
    > > my system that I do not know how to correct.
    > >
    > > 1. I am unable to get Properties on anything in MMC. This also means
    > > that I am unable to configure them.
    > >
    > > 2. Search does not work. At all.]
    > >
    > > 3. Help does not work. At all.
    > >
    > > 4. I cannot create shortcuts on my desktop and move them. They are
    > > created on my desktop wherever I right-click and cannot move them from
    > > there. They are not locked, though.
    > >
    > > 5. My SO cannot logon to his desktop. The only person who can logon is
    > > myself.
    > >
    > > Please, I did some really stupid things in the middle of the night
    > > when I was tired (instead of shutting it down and sleeping until I
    > > wasn't) and do not know how to undo them. I setup the IIS module. I
    > > get a network logon now instead of a local computer logon.
    >
    > See if doing a System Restore to before you "played with" the settings
    > helps.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    You might want to take a look at this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

    On the menu that comes up after you hit the F8 key make sure you
    select "Safe mode with command prompt".

    Nepatsfan
    "tsprague" <tsprague@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I start System Restore, all I get is a blank window.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> tsprague wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am running XP Pro on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII. There are 2
    >> > users on
    >> > this computer and we are not connected to a network.
    >> >
    >> > In playing with the settings in MMC I have caused some
    >> > problems with
    >> > my system that I do not know how to correct.
    >> >
    >> > 1. I am unable to get Properties on anything in MMC. This
    >> > also means
    >> > that I am unable to configure them.
    >> >
    >> > 2. Search does not work. At all.]
    >> >
    >> > 3. Help does not work. At all.
    >> >
    >> > 4. I cannot create shortcuts on my desktop and move them.
    >> > They are
    >> > created on my desktop wherever I right-click and cannot move
    >> > them from
    >> > there. They are not locked, though.
    >> >
    >> > 5. My SO cannot logon to his desktop. The only person who
    >> > can logon is
    >> > myself.
    >> >
    >> > Please, I did some really stupid things in the middle of the
    >> > night
    >> > when I was tired (instead of shutting it down and sleeping
    >> > until I
    >> > wasn't) and do not know how to undo them. I setup the IIS
    >> > module. I
    >> > get a network logon now instead of a local computer logon.
    >>
    >> See if doing a System Restore to before you "played with" the
    >> settings
    >> helps.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --