XP Pro MMC Snap-in Delete problems

I am running XP Pro on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII. There are 2 users on this
computer and we are not connected to a network.

In playing with the settings in MMC I have caused some problems with my
system that I do not know how to correct.

1. I am unable to get Properties on anything in MMC. This also means that I
am unable to configure them.

2. Search does not work. At all.]

3. Help does not work. At all.

4. I cannot create shortcuts on my desktop and move them. They are created
on my desktop wherever I right-click and cannot move them from there. They
are not locked, though.

5. My SO cannot logon to his desktop. The only person who can logon is myself.

Please, I did some really stupid things in the middle of the night when I
was tired (instead of shutting it down and sleeping until I wasn't) and do
not know how to undo them. I setup the IIS module. I get a network logon now
instead of a local computer logon.
--
Terri Sprague
www.tlsprague.com

Malke

tsprague wrote:

> I am running XP Pro on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII. There are 2 users on
> this computer and we are not connected to a network.
>
> In playing with the settings in MMC I have caused some problems with
> my system that I do not know how to correct.
>
> 1. I am unable to get Properties on anything in MMC. This also means
> that I am unable to configure them.
>
> 2. Search does not work. At all.]
>
> 3. Help does not work. At all.
>
> 4. I cannot create shortcuts on my desktop and move them. They are
> created on my desktop wherever I right-click and cannot move them from
> there. They are not locked, though.
>
> 5. My SO cannot logon to his desktop. The only person who can logon is
> myself.
>
> Please, I did some really stupid things in the middle of the night
> when I was tired (instead of shutting it down and sleeping until I
> wasn't) and do not know how to undo them. I setup the IIS module. I
> get a network logon now instead of a local computer logon.

See if doing a System Restore to before you "played with" the settings
helps.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

When I start System Restore, all I get is a blank window.

"Malke" wrote:

> tsprague wrote:
>
> > I am running XP Pro on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII. There are 2 users on
> > this computer and we are not connected to a network.
> >
> > In playing with the settings in MMC I have caused some problems with
> > my system that I do not know how to correct.
> >
> > 1. I am unable to get Properties on anything in MMC. This also means
> > that I am unable to configure them.
> >
> > 2. Search does not work. At all.]
> >
> > 3. Help does not work. At all.
> >
> > 4. I cannot create shortcuts on my desktop and move them. They are
> > created on my desktop wherever I right-click and cannot move them from
> > there. They are not locked, though.
> >
> > 5. My SO cannot logon to his desktop. The only person who can logon is
> > myself.
> >
> > Please, I did some really stupid things in the middle of the night
> > when I was tired (instead of shutting it down and sleeping until I
> > wasn't) and do not know how to undo them. I setup the IIS module. I
> > get a network logon now instead of a local computer logon.
>
> See if doing a System Restore to before you "played with" the settings
> helps.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

You might want to take a look at this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

On the menu that comes up after you hit the F8 key make sure you
select "Safe mode with command prompt".

Nepatsfan