logging in...

iwhen i start my computer, a screen pops up with my name on it and does not
ask for my password. i try to go into user accounts so that i can add
passwords and users, but it will not let me even enter that section. it is a
family computer and i am running windows xp professional. After reading some
earlier discussions and questions, i tried the cont+alt+del keys, and manged
to add a password, but i really want to be able to get into user accounts so
that my children can have their own area, without going into mine.

thank you

First things first, are you an administrator on this system? Try this
command ...

net localgroup administrators

Does your login show up in the list of administrators?

- If no, you can't add users. You need to figure out who has admin rights
to your box.

- If yes, go to Start | Control Panel | User Accounts. Click on "Create a
new account", click Add and fill in the information. You probably want to
add your kids as limited users.

By the way, I'm of the opinion that EVERY account, kids included, should
have a password.

--
Bob McCoy
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

"susanh" <susanh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> iwhen i start my computer, a screen pops up with my name on it and does
> not
> ask for my password. i try to go into user accounts so that i can add
> passwords and users, but it will not let me even enter that section. it is
> family computer and i am running windows xp professional. After reading
> some
> earlier discussions and questions, i tried the cont+alt+del keys, and
> manged
> to add a password, but i really want to be able to get into user accounts
> so
> that my children can have their own area, without going into mine.
>
> thank you

By the way, there is also a microsoft.public.security.homeusers newsgroup.