Early oysters

Last response: in Video Games
September 14, 2005 1:24:25 PM

Has anyone else gathered all the oysters before doing Burning Desire? I
did this last night and it crashed as soon as I got back to Denise's
house. I didn't try again, so it might be a co-incidence, and I have a
recent game save with 47 or so oysters so it isn't the end of the
world.

Out of interest, how often does GTA:SA crash on the PC in your
experience?

Phil Hibbs.

More about : early oysters

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:34:39 PM

"snark" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else gathered all the oysters before doing Burning Desire? I
> did this last night and it crashed as soon as I got back to Denise's
> house. I didn't try again, so it might be a co-incidence, and I have a
> recent game save with 47 or so oysters so it isn't the end of the
> world.
>
> Out of interest, how often does GTA:SA crash on the PC in your
> experience?
>
> Phil Hibbs.

I am in the process of a game where I collected all the Oysters early,
although I haven't got to Burning Desire yet. (I haven't even cycled back to
CJs house after the opening scenes, I am trying to see how much I can get
done first). I am however dating Katie, Barbara and Michelle, who are all
available right from the start of the game (Helena is not, and the other 2
don't show up until their missions).

I have been through the whole game 5 times now, and it has only crashed
twice in that time, both times after completing "Right Side of the Tracks"
and dropping Smoke off at his home. Both times, I stopped off at the gym on
the way back, and it crashed as I entered the building.

Rob
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 10:59:41 PM

snark wrote:

> Has anyone else gathered all the oysters before doing Burning Desire? I
> did this last night and it crashed as soon as I got back to Denise's
> house. I didn't try again, so it might be a co-incidence, and I have a
> recent game save with 47 or so oysters so it isn't the end of the
> world.
>
> Out of interest, how often does GTA:SA crash on the PC in your
> experience?
>
> Phil Hibbs.

I have all oysters before I do the tags. I like to do a save with most
of the tedious jobs already done and I make the tags the last thing on
it, so that's my starting point. I don't bother with the photographs
or horseshoes as you'd get torn apart trying to collect the weapons.
Mine's ps2 though, but I will say I think crashed once while I was
collecting, up on the hills above Los Santos, but luckily I had saved
recently.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Rob Lancaster wrote:

> "snark" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone else gathered all the oysters before doing Burning Desire? I
> > did this last night and it crashed as soon as I got back to Denise's
> > house. I didn't try again, so it might be a co-incidence, and I have a
> > recent game save with 47 or so oysters so it isn't the end of the
> > world.
> >
> > Out of interest, how often does GTA:SA crash on the PC in your
> > experience?
> >
> > Phil Hibbs.
> >

> I am in the process of a game where I collected all the Oysters early,
> although I haven't got to Burning Desire yet. (I haven't even cycled back to
> CJs house after the opening scenes, I am trying to see how much I can get
> done first). I am however dating Katie, Barbara and Michelle, who are all
> available right from the start of the game (Helena is not, and the other 2
> don't show up until their missions).
>
> I have been through the whole game 5 times now, and it has only crashed
> twice in that time, both times after completing "Right Side of the Tracks"
> and dropping Smoke off at his home. Both times, I stopped off at the gym on
> the way back, and it crashed as I entered the building.
>
> Rob

How the hell do you date people when their islands are closed? Yes, I
know you can get there but they get a little pissed off if the cops
interrupt your date with them
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:15:35 AM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> How the hell do you date people when their islands are closed? Yes, I
> know you can get there but they get a little pissed off if the cops
> interrupt your date with them
> --
I haven't actually been on dates, just met them to get the benefits, and
will stay at 15% for the time being. I wasn't going to bother with Michelle,
but I ducked into the driving school under heavy fire and she happened to be
there.

Rob

PS - getting the 50 photos with 4 wanted stars was a lot easier than I
expected, NRG 500 wasn't too bad (even with an Enforcer and 2 police cars
running around in the dock), but I still haven't managed to finish the bike
courier job, the bike takes too much damage.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:57:10 AM

I managed to do Burning Desire with all oysters after another crash
during the mission (on leaving the burning house), so it isn't the
oysters.

> Now she's telling me to change my clothes, but binco is not
>open yet as i have only done the first two missions.

Get all the oysters, and she probably won't be fussy any more.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 5:11:20 AM

I don't claim to have done it without dying a few times. I think it
took about 4 deaths, but it was early in the game so I don't mind
losing the weapons. If I'd known, I'd have got the girlfriend benefits
first to avoid this loss!

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:23:45 PM

snark wrote:

> I don't claim to have done it without dying a few times. I think it
> took about 4 deaths, but it was early in the game so I don't mind
> losing the weapons. If I'd known, I'd have got the girlfriend benefits
> first to avoid this loss!
>
> Phil Hibbs.

The worst ones are the ones on mainland Las venturas.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:48:39 PM

"Rob Lancaster" <robert.lancaster12@ntlworld.com> wrote

> I am however dating Katie, Barbara and Michelle, who are all available
> right from the start of the game

I started a new game two days ago and went to meet Katie.
She wanted me to have more muscles so i went to the beach gym.
Now she's telling me to change my clothes, but binco is not open
yet as i have only done the first two missions. How did you
change your clothes without starting a mission. Is one of the
other stores open? Did you start the chilliad or trioathlon
race to get shorts?

Marco
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:01:52 PM

"snark" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote

> Get all the oysters, and she probably won't be fussy any more.

Sounds like a lot of work having 4 stars all the time, but
funny somehow. ;-) I'm going to do that.

Marco
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 6:12:18 PM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> The worst ones are the ones on mainland Las venturas.

I will have a look if Katie accepts the Shorts you get from starting
Chiliad Challange. If yes, i just parachute down to them one by one.
I don't care about how many times CJ died if he doesn't loose weapons
all the time.

Marco
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:01:59 PM

"Marco Jautz" <marcojmgh@hotmail.com> wrote

> I will have a look if Katie accepts the Shorts you get from starting
> Chiliad Challange.

OK, she doesn't like Shorts too.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:22:54 PM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Marco Jautz" <marcojmgh@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> > I will have a look if Katie accepts the Shorts you get from starting
> > Chiliad Challange.
>
> OK, she doesn't like Shorts too.

:o )
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 10:34:04 PM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> Marco Jautz wrote:

>> OK, she doesn't like Shorts too.
>
> :o )

Hey, but i nearly won the first chiliad race with four stars. ;-)
What still makes me second and means i have to do it again. :-(

CU

Marco
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 10:34:05 PM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
> > Marco Jautz wrote:
>
> >> OK, she doesn't like Shorts too.
> >
> > :o )
>
> Hey, but i nearly won the first chiliad race with four stars. ;-)
> What still makes me second and means i have to do it again. :-(
>
> CU
>
> Marco

I have NEVER tried these... and I've done the game tons of times. I
know from the way bikes behave for me that I'd end up wrapped round a
tree or something so I just don't bother
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:34:05 AM

> Yes, the burglaries are available from the start. After killing 5 dealers
> buy a save point, that was the first thing I did.

Surely the burglaries are more lucrative than the drug dealers? I made 25K
on my second (ever) attempt at the burglaries. The only reason I didn't get
more than $1,900 on my first attempt was because I started at 2am (I didn't
realise you can't just use _any_ boxville van).

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

Get in the LS Burglary Boxville at exactly 8.01pm (game time) - start the
mission then get out of the van.

Don't bother trying to be stealthy... I could probably have managed more
than 25K if I'd known about the cop timer - it replaces the need to be
stealthy with the need to be quick.

* Run into the house nearest the van, run to the TV and pick it up, then run
out. You should be out of the door before the cop-counter gets to zero. Put
the TV in the van.

Run back in and get the VCR, or game,or whatever the hell it is, run back
out & put it in the van.

Run across to the other house - if there's a bloke in the seat shoot him and
grab his TV. Put it in the van. Don't go back into his house for the VCR -
just go back to * above.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 3:27:40 AM

"Rob Lancaster" <robert.lancaster12@ntlworld.com> wrote

> "Vandar" <vandar69@yahoo.com> wrote

>> Aren't the burglary missions available from the start? In my last game,
>> I did them before doing the burglary mission with Ryder.
>>
> Yes, the burglaries are available from the start. After killing 5 dealers
> to buy a save point, that was the first thing I did.

I never tried to do them this soon. It is my second run through the game
and it has just started.

Must have read somewhere they are available after this Ryder-Mission,
but i may be mixing up something.

Marco
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 3:27:41 AM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Rob Lancaster" <robert.lancaster12@ntlworld.com> wrote
> >
> > "Vandar" <vandar69@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> >> Aren't the burglary missions available from the start? In my last game,
> >> I did them before doing the burglary mission with Ryder.
> >>
> > Yes, the burglaries are available from the start. After killing 5 dealers
> > to buy a save point, that was the first thing I did.
>
> I never tried to do them this soon. It is my second run through the game
> and it has just started.
>
> Must have read somewhere they are available after this Ryder-Mission,
> but i may be mixing up something.
>
> Marco

I did them well early, before the mission where Rider points out how
to do them
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:55:20 AM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> I did them well early, before the mission where Rider points out how
> to do them

They are done now :-)

Marco
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:24:51 AM

The first two are easy. Just park the little camper van at an angle
just after the second hairpin so all the cyclists get knocked off the
path.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:18:49 PM

snark wrote:

> The first two are easy. Just park the little camper van at an angle
> just after the second hairpin so all the cyclists get knocked off the
> path.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

:o ) You're driving a camper in the race?

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:21:47 PM

On 14 Sep 2005 09:24:25 -0700, "snark" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

>Has anyone else gathered all the oysters before doing Burning Desire? I
>did this last night and it crashed as soon as I got back to Denise's
>house. I didn't try again, so it might be a co-incidence, and I have a
>recent game save with 47 or so oysters so it isn't the end of the
>world.
>
>Out of interest, how often does GTA:SA crash on the PC in your
>experience?
>
>Phil Hibbs.

every 5 minutes it seemed for me.

not just a regular crash either, regularly BSOD'd on me
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: To Be Updated When I Can Be Arsed.

>>Out of interest, how often does GTA:SA crash on the PC in your
>>experience?

Mine crashed once every couple of months - and I played it contantly.......
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 8:20:32 PM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> The worst ones are the ones on mainland Las venturas.

The easiest ones seem to be north from Sherman Dam.
There are no Policeboats and the Helicopters all
drowned. Seems they dont't know about the higher waterlevel. ;-)

http://www.marco-jautz.de/Heli.JPG

I lost one star too but it of course came back when i was
leaving the water. I continued collecting the three oysters
south of the Dam, then went to this big grey bridge with little
health left. Got that one two, grabbed a policeboat and drove
to get the one at the ship in the north.
Didn't reach it, i got killed as i left the boat, but instead
of respawning at the hospital in LS, i stood in front of
Katies house (dated her now),
got 4 Stars immediately, grabbed a policebike to drive somewhere
close to the ship, but a policeman knocked me of the bike.
Lost all my weapons because Barbara didn't like my clothes when i was
trying to date her. I collected seven Oysters in this run, so it
looks like i have to collect the weapons again.

Marco
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:11:18 PM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
> > The worst ones are the ones on mainland Las venturas.
>
> The easiest ones seem to be north from Sherman Dam.
> There are no Policeboats and the Helicopters all
> drowned. Seems they dont't know about the higher waterlevel. ;-)

That one is so funny, but when you get below the dam they cut you to
bits

> http://www.marco-jautz.de/Heli.JPG
>
> I lost one star too but it of course came back when i was
> leaving the water. I continued collecting the three oysters
> south of the Dam, then went to this big grey bridge with little
> health left. Got that one two, grabbed a policeboat and drove
> to get the one at the ship in the north.

That was the one I got killed with, the one in the little cut to the
side. I went into the wrong cut! I was swimming round for like fifteen
minutes while they shot me to bits and I wove this way and that and
dived and wove and in the end I though, ah, kill me!

> Didn't reach it, i got killed as i left the boat, but instead
> of respawning at the hospital in LS, i stood in front of
> Katies house (dated her now),

argh! :o )

> got 4 Stars immediately, grabbed a policebike to drive somewhere
> close to the ship, but a policeman knocked me of the bike.
> Lost all my weapons because Barbara didn't like my clothes when i was
> trying to date her. I collected seven Oysters in this run, so it
> looks like i have to collect the weapons again.
>
> Marco

This is why you do this once without doing the oysters. play the game
once, don't have to do 100% but must have those two girlfriends on
100% and do all main missions, then you start again with a fresh game
and retain weapons from police and hospital. THEN you start working on
oysters and so forth.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:27:38 PM

"Marco Jautz" <marcojmgh@hotmail.com> wrote

> I lost one star too but it of course came back when i was
> leaving the water. I continued collecting the three oysters
> south of the Dam, then went to this big grey bridge with little
> health left. Got that one two, grabbed a policeboat and drove
> to get the one at the ship in the north.

I noticed the Oysters north of SF are easy to reach without
getting any star. I took the Shamal, flew around LV until i reached
Gant-Bridge. Flew through the bridge and jumped into the water..
I don't know if you can just swim from northwest LS to this place
but i got the Oyster at the end of the runway at SF Airport
without getting a star too.

Marco
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:27:39 PM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Marco Jautz" <marcojmgh@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> > I lost one star too but it of course came back when i was
> > leaving the water. I continued collecting the three oysters
> > south of the Dam, then went to this big grey bridge with little
> > health left. Got that one two, grabbed a policeboat and drove
> > to get the one at the ship in the north.
>
> I noticed the Oysters north of SF are easy to reach without
> getting any star. I took the Shamal, flew around LV until i reached
> Gant-Bridge. Flew through the bridge and jumped into the water..
> I don't know if you can just swim from northwest LS to this place
> but i got the Oyster at the end of the runway at SF Airport
> without getting a star too.
>
> Marco

ever have a problem where you were swimming, everything was fine, you
see a boat near the shore and climb in and the stars pop up?

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:25:53 AM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> ever have a problem where you were swimming, everything was fine, you
> see a boat near the shore and climb in and the stars pop up?

Yes, i think it was when i collected the one in the
top right corner of the map. I jumped out of the Shamal,
got the Oyster, climbed into the boat and the stars poped
up.

Marco
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:37:20 AM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> This is why you do this once without doing the oysters. play the game
> once, don't have to do 100% but must have those two girlfriends on
> 100% and do all main missions, then you start again with a fresh game
> and retain weapons from police and hospital. THEN you start working on
> oysters and so forth.

So are you saying if i had done Katie and Barbara to 100%
in my previous game (which i played to 100%, but not the girlfriends
as they do not count), i wouldn't loose my weapons from the
beginning in a new game??

Marco
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 3:12:37 AM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
> > ever have a problem where you were swimming, everything was fine, you
> > see a boat near the shore and climb in and the stars pop up?
>
> Yes, i think it was when i collected the one in the
> top right corner of the map. I jumped out of the Shamal,
> got the Oyster, climbed into the boat and the stars poped
> up.
>
> Marco

bit of a bastard isn't it? You spend ages making sure you don't touch
land and suddenly it decides a boat is land :o )

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 3:18:40 AM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
> > This is why you do this once without doing the oysters. play the game
> > once, don't have to do 100% but must have those two girlfriends on
> > 100% and do all main missions, then you start again with a fresh game
> > and retain weapons from police and hospital. THEN you start working on
> > oysters and so forth.
>
> So are you saying if i had done Katie and Barbara to 100%
> in my previous game (which i played to 100%, but not the girlfriends
> as they do not count), i wouldn't loose my weapons from the
> beginning in a new game??
>
> Marco

yep. I actually thought that this was rubbish as it didn't work for
me, then I realised I wasn't starting fresh but from a game with the
first few missions done. Then I made another mistake in not ensuring
that they were both on 100% before I restarted. I've played the game
loads of times and just thought the cop one didn't work, then when I
checked I must have pissed barbara off and lost a little of her
percentage.

What i did then was play the game and ignored the girlfriends except
Denise, of course. As soon as I had the end titles out of the way I
went and dated katie to 100%, then left the island never to return,
went to barbaras and got her to 100%, saved, then started a new game.
Of course the first things i did was pick a fight with a cop so i
could grab his gun, then got myself arrested... gun still there, same
thing when i got myself killed! success!

It can make a hell of a difference to your game

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:01:20 AM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> yep. I actually thought that this was rubbish as it didn't work for
> me, then I realised I wasn't starting fresh but from a game with the
> first few missions done. Then I made another mistake in not ensuring
> that they were both on 100% before I restarted. I've played the game
> loads of times and just thought the cop one didn't work, then when I
> checked I must have pissed barbara off and lost a little of her
> percentage.
>
> What i did then was play the game and ignored the girlfriends except
> Denise, of course. As soon as I had the end titles out of the way I
> went and dated katie to 100%, then left the island never to return,
> went to barbaras and got her to 100%, saved, then started a new game.
> Of course the first things i did was pick a fight with a cop so i
> could grab his gun, then got myself arrested... gun still there, same
> thing when i got myself killed! success!
>
> It can make a hell of a difference to your game

OK, I asked my girl. She had Katie at 100% but not dated Barbara.
I had only Denise at 100%. We both started a new game a few days ago.

We both are playing on PC and do not know if this thing works on PC,
so we keep on playing like before.

But however. This game is great. I hate to have to go back to
work next week. ;-)

But back to topic. ;-) The game tells me i still have to collect 2 Oysters.
My printed map says there is missing only one. Must be something i didn't
save because i am sure i marked only the ones i collected.
If someone is bored doing all the stuff, please tell me. I will upload a
savegame called "Find the missing Oyster and enjoy having four stars while
doing
that" ;-)

Marco
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:01:21 AM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
> > yep. I actually thought that this was rubbish as it didn't work for
> > me, then I realised I wasn't starting fresh but from a game with the
> > first few missions done. Then I made another mistake in not ensuring
> > that they were both on 100% before I restarted. I've played the game
> > loads of times and just thought the cop one didn't work, then when I
> > checked I must have pissed barbara off and lost a little of her
> > percentage.
> >
> > What i did then was play the game and ignored the girlfriends except
> > Denise, of course. As soon as I had the end titles out of the way I
> > went and dated katie to 100%, then left the island never to return,
> > went to barbaras and got her to 100%, saved, then started a new game.
> > Of course the first things i did was pick a fight with a cop so i
> > could grab his gun, then got myself arrested... gun still there, same
> > thing when i got myself killed! success!
> >
> > It can make a hell of a difference to your game
>
> OK, I asked my girl. She had Katie at 100% but not dated Barbara.
> I had only Denise at 100%. We both started a new game a few days ago.
>
> We both are playing on PC and do not know if this thing works on PC,
> so we keep on playing like before.
>
> But however. This game is great. I hate to have to go back to
> work next week. ;-)
>
> But back to topic. ;-) The game tells me i still have to collect 2 Oysters.
> My printed map says there is missing only one. Must be something i didn't
> save because i am sure i marked only the ones i collected.
> If someone is bored doing all the stuff, please tell me. I will upload a
> savegame called "Find the missing Oyster and enjoy having four stars while
> doing
> that" ;-)
>
> Marco

Sorry i can't help, marco, as I'm on the ps2. The oysters do have one
or two which can be a SOB to find and it's easy to mislay one or two.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:07:29 PM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> Sorry i can't help, marco, as I'm on the ps2.

I know.

> The oysters do have one
> or two which can be a SOB to find and it's easy to mislay one or two.

Yes, but must be my fault as i marked one too much or didn't save
after getting one.
At least i am sure about the ones i got yesterday.
Think i will use a cheat just to look where the missing
one is. I dont have to save then.

CU

Marco
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:07:30 PM

Marco Jautz wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
> > Sorry i can't help, marco, as I'm on the ps2.
>
> I know.
>
> > The oysters do have one
> > or two which can be a SOB to find and it's easy to mislay one or two.
>
> Yes, but must be my fault as i marked one too much or didn't save
> after getting one.
> At least i am sure about the ones i got yesterday.
> Think i will use a cheat just to look where the missing
> one is. I dont have to save then.
>
> CU
>
> Marco

good idea.