Found in the garbage

gitano

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I found a Packard Bell 955 in the garbage bin where I work. I took the poor
thing home and it booted up beautifully for me. It's processor is an AMD K6
and it uses SDRAM memory.

I want to buy a new 128MB SDRAM chip at PC100. Does anyone know if there is
anything more I need to know before I spend money on a new chip.

Also does anyone know where I can get information on this system. I just
hate it when people just throw away a perfectly good computer.

"Gitano" <duende1remove@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I found a Packard Bell 955 in the garbage bin where I work. I took the
poor
> thing home and it booted up beautifully for me. It's processor is an AMD
K6
> and it uses SDRAM memory.
>
> I want to buy a new 128MB SDRAM chip at PC100. Does anyone know if there
is
> anything more I need to know before I spend money on a new chip.
>
> Also does anyone know where I can get information on this system. I just
> hate it when people just throw away a perfectly good computer.

Go to:
http://www.priorityonesupport.com/
register so you can sign in. There is a system lookup utility in the tools
section. (enter model or serial number for best results.)

Drivers will be listed and available for download.

Pepperoni

Gitano,
Make sure that the motherboard is the PB930, not the PB850. The PB955 used either one, with an AMD CPU. Does the motherboard have two(2) or four (4) memory slots?

Info on PB910/930 motherboard (Uses PC100 sticks, max 256MB of RAM:
http://www.memoryx.net/pb910mainboard.html

The 850 FR500 mb uses four (4) 32MB 72pin 60ns 3.3V EDO SIMM sticks, max. 128MM of RAM.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2gvq1jF78olpU1@uni-berlin.de...

"Gitano" <duende1remove@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I found a Packard Bell 955 in the garbage bin where I work. I took the
poor
> thing home and it booted up beautifully for me. It's processor is an AMD
K6
> and it uses SDRAM memory.
>
> I want to buy a new 128MB SDRAM chip at PC100. Does anyone know if there
is
> anything more I need to know before I spend money on a new chip.
>
> Also does anyone know where I can get information on this system. I just
> hate it when people just throw away a perfectly good computer.

Go to:
http://www.priorityonesupport.com/
register so you can sign in. There is a system lookup utility in the tools
section. (enter model or serial number for best results.)

Drivers will be listed and available for download.

Pepperoni

The system uses the older low-density SDRAM DIMM memory, given its relative age.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:34:33 GMT, "Gitano" <duende1remove@comcast.net> wrote:

>I found a Packard Bell 955 in the garbage bin where I work. I took the poor
>thing home and it booted up beautifully for me. It's processor is an AMD K6
>and it uses SDRAM memory.
>
>I want to buy a new 128MB SDRAM chip at PC100. Does anyone know if there is
>anything more I need to know before I spend money on a new chip.
>
>Also does anyone know where I can get information on this system. I just
>hate it when people just throw away a perfectly good computer.

gitano

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

My foundling has only two memory slots, one ISA slot and two PCI slots.
Thanks for all the info!